Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you know or have had any trees that got struck by lightning?
I know a tree that got struck and survived for many years 19 54.29%
I know a tree that got struck and was removed before it died 4 11.43%
I know a tree that got struck but died or got diseased later on 13 37.14%
I don't know of any trees that got struck 6 17.14%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 10:43 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,119,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
I had lightning hit a tree in my front yard and went through the ground to my house. Wiped out my TV, microwave, and the electronics on my stove. And my next door neighbor said when it hit (I wasn't home) he needed new underwear.
I have a large oak tree that was hit by lightening and it blew the one root out the ground. The trees is still alive after a good ten years. But I am glad our house was not that close when the bolt hit. I have a well and the pump would probably be the first to go.

Your bolt sounds expensive!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2018, 11:05 AM

11,082 posts, read 17,525,111 times
Was pretty lucky. Had insurance to cover it.

Old 10-31-2018, 01:00 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,565,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
I had lightning hit a tree in my front yard and went through the ground to my house. Wiped out my TV, microwave, and the electronics on my stove. And my next door neighbor said when it hit (I wasn't home) he needed new underwear.
That happened to my grandmother’s house once. Lightening hit a huge oak tree just outside the backdoor, then somehow got inside the house and traveled across the floor from the den and through the kitchen. There was linoleum flooring and it split it just like someone cut it with a razor.

Old 10-31-2018, 02:11 PM

7,234 posts, read 5,110,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post

Moisture meter reads only 17% 1 inch in. Very low especially for a Spruce. That's a percentage that is good to use for firewood. #Dry

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Of course the lack of bark and crack where the lightening tracked could eventually cause it to die. I am curious if the application of a pruning sealer on the dead 'crack' would help slow the process; does anybody know?

Fluid flow in trees: ground water is sucked up passively by roots up to leaves, where it evaporates into atmosphere. The fluid pressure dif is supplied by the transpiration process, supplying the impetus for flow, and that flow is thru the xylem (heartwood).

The zylem is not actively metabolizing tissue for the most part and is merely a passive "pipe". The heat caused by the lightning bolt may have fried the zylem enough to disrupt its continuity. The xylem "pipes" supply different areas of the crown-- that's the major reason your pine has one dying section while the other part of the crown looks good.

The phloem (layer just inside the bark) caries sugar produced by photosynthesis either down to the roots or up to other living parts of the tree. The dying section of crown may have been cut off from this source of energy also by the lightning damage.

Whether a tree survives or not after lightning damage depends on what percentage of phloem/zylem was damaged beyond repair and how much of the crown can still be supplied with water by the remaining, good zylem.

To kill a tree by "girdling" it usually requires that you disrupt the phloem all the way around, not just partially .

Old 11-04-2018, 09:29 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,052,256 times
Oh my. Thank you for this thread.

I now see on my beautiful red Maple, probably 10 -15 years old, the lightning strike. It provides gorgeous red leaves in Fall and now I may have to take it down. This Fall it was a beauty but next Fall ??

I am very sad. I didn't know what it was, now I do.

Old 03-05-2019, 10:53 AM

83,498 posts, read 75,223,829 times
Well.... It's the last time this tree see's snow. It's been almost record wet with rains all summer, fall and even in winter but it's become apparent its not gonna make it.

Taken Yesterday March 4, 2019.

Today I looked closer and the drying needles has reached halfway up so its obvious its dead.

Closer

May 14, 2017: Amazing color Pine Cones.

Standing tall and the only one around.

May 9, 2015: Robins nested in the Spruce

A tree that stood tall and blocked the summer sun
The mini Pine cones it dropped brought joy and fun
The blue-green color and the scaly thick bark
With the moonlight it shined in the dark

During the Cold Northerly winds it protected
It truly was a tree that was respected
The birds and wildlife had a place to feel secure
In all seasons starring at it felt like a cure

A tree that brought beauty, a tree that showed strength
It was the lightning that was just too intense

Old 03-06-2019, 09:57 PM

146 posts, read 114,234 times
Some trees survive lightning strikes, some don't. I think it has something to do with if it was a direct hit or not, and I believe some lightning strikes are more powerful than others.

When I was a kid I was at my aunt and uncle's house and they had a maple in their back yard that got struck. I remember big pieces of wood being embedded in the yard 2 feet deep. That tree survived.

About 15 years ago I was walking through the woods and I found a Black Locust tree that had been struck by lightning and did not survive.

I also found a Black Locust that had been struck and burned itself hollow. That obviously did not survive.

I've seen pines that have been struck and survived. Others exploded and were completely destroyed except for the trunk.

A large number of the big cottonwood trees around here have lightning scars on them. The majority survive.

Just one of those things I guess!

Old 04-26-2019, 04:33 AM

83,498 posts, read 75,223,829 times

Compare the before pics to this.

Old 04-26-2019, 05:27 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,035,430 times
You lost beauty and privacy in one fell swoop, a split second.

Are you planning on planting something else there?....another tree or some kind of fast growing bush?

Every time there is a bad storm I worry more about my trees than anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden