Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2018, 12:14 PM

23,278 posts, read 18,799,167 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,

I did attempt to do a forum search for this but wasn't successful.

Any of you find a decent hand tool for uprooting saplings without killing yourself? I have to clear dense alder saplings growing over a 30'x50' leachfield. The saplings are getting too large to easily pull by hand, and I know that cutting them will just encourage them to sprout from the base and won't remove the root, which is the bigger problem. As it's a leachfield I can't rip up the ground with heavy equipment. I've seen ads for several...Extractigator, Pullerbear, BrushGrubber. They are pretty similar but I haven't used any of them before.

Any suggestions or advice to share?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2018, 01:20 PM

9,359 posts, read 14,099,574 times
You will need to use a good herbicide that can kill trees. A systemic would be best, but you could also use the same herbicide mix as the railroads use. If it has a short half-life in the soil, then you can broadcast grass seed afterward if that is normal for your area.

Old 07-19-2018, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
You will need to use a good herbicide that can kill trees. A systemic would be best, but you could also use the same herbicide mix as the railroads use. If it has a short half-life in the soil, then you can broadcast grass seed afterward if that is normal for your area.
Thanks but no thanks. Too many non-target broadleaf non-woody plants. Only need to control the woody species to protect the leachfield pipes. Prefer avoiding chemical treatments which is why I want to use mechanical means.

Last edited by Parnassia; 07-19-2018 at 01:47 PM..

Old 07-19-2018, 01:47 PM

13,070 posts, read 7,502,913 times
For a fig tree: A chain saw followed by 3 years of Roundup applied at 1st leaf. One of the problems of alders is that they seed easily. luv4horses has the correct answer.

Old 07-20-2018, 02:09 AM

7,253 posts, read 5,126,001 times
It sounds like you'll need continuous/repeated maintenance maneuvers on the plot, so repeated mowing would do the trick. If the saplings are too big now for your mower, maybe rent a brush-hog for the first go-round....or you could rent a small herd of goats (they really are available for land clearing) but they tend to strip everything non-selectively.

Old 07-20-2018, 11:02 AM

4,600 posts, read 6,359,230 times
Something like this T post puller maybe ?

Don't want to buy one....
make one.

Or use the
spare tire from your vehicle, or a rim to make a puller.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 07-20-2018, 12:00 PM

400 posts, read 573,371 times
Cut them, then paint stump killer ( tordon, etc) on the stumps. Kills the tree, but not the surrounding broadleaves. Far easier than pulling.

Old 07-20-2018, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
It sounds like you'll need continuous/repeated maintenance maneuvers on the plot, so repeated mowing would do the trick. If the saplings are too big now for your mower, maybe rent a brush-hog for the first go-round....or you could rent a small herd of goats (they really are available for land clearing) but they tend to strip everything non-selectively.
Yes, I'm expecting this. The main problem is getting control of the current crop (property was vacant for a couple of years at least). I don't want to use chemical control, hence the question about TOOLS. No goats around. The soil is pretty soft so I was concerned about ripping it up too badly with equipment. No one around here rents much if any equipment (pretty small AK town). I've got feelers out with the neighbor's lawn care guy. He doesn't but will ask. There are a couple of manual puller designs around that operate basically the same. I was just curious if anyone had ever used them.

Old 05-24-2020, 11:00 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,524,808 times
i have young alders and hope to use a reciprocating saw. They are 3" in diameter and plan to cut them at an angle and close to the ground. If done mid-summer I'm told they wont grow back-- This is in Washington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden