Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2018, 08:19 AM

924 posts, read 1,020,894 times

Advertisements

So I just bought a watering system. For these Ice plants, they do like to spread. So, should I try to water the entire area of the plant as they start spreading? or can I spot water them and they just feed through the roots and share among the rest?

I added a picture to show you what I mean. I have a small spot watering system set up for the ice plants

sorry for the dead shrub. I think the weeds growing on them killed the shrubs, so I am hoping it will regrow with enough water. I still see some green leaves on it. Currently working on weed barriers to prevent them from spreading on my other plants

also, if you guys would happen to know if my shrubs can grow back, let me know

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2018, 08:38 AM

4,601 posts, read 6,361,632 times
Don't you get sufficient rainfall in Miami Gardens to preclude watering ? If I was in a dry area, I'd water around the edges to encourage spreading....make the roots reach for the water.

Regardss
Gemstone1

Old 07-22-2018, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
Don't you get sufficient rainfall in Miami Gardens to preclude watering ? If I was in a dry area, I'd water around the edges to encourage spreading....make the roots reach for the water.

Regardss
Gemstone1
How do you know I used to live in Miami Gardens? I am in Colorado. Anyhow...thanks!!

I am a little confused on how watering works, if I should water to roots, water leaves and let it fall, or do plants just kind of "share" among themselves? In this case, since this ice plant spreads, I wasnt sure if small watering area would be ok then they just spread it themselves at the roots

Old 07-22-2018, 09:17 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,096,099 times
They are pretty drought tolerant, so be a little easy on the watering also.

Old 07-22-2018, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
They are pretty drought tolerant, so be a little easy on the watering also.
Thank you! Perhaps I should use a mist type nozzle instead of direct watering

Does this go for any drought tolerant plant? I just bought some Russian sage and watered it quite a bit since its a new transfer.

But I might end up changing the drip system once its established in a month or 2.

Old 07-22-2018, 10:15 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,096,099 times
Stay with the drip. Just pay attention to the plants. If you see a 'sudden' change for the worst, chances are you are overwatering.

Old 07-22-2018, 07:15 PM

4,601 posts, read 6,361,632 times
"How do you know I used to live in Miami Gardens?"....the zip code in your profile

Old 07-22-2018, 09:04 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,776,277 times
I just water mine right out of the hose. It is drought tolerant - once it's established. And getting established takes a lot longer than 2 months. I don't consider any perennial I plant to be "established" until the second year.

I do tend to try to water more around the root area, but mostly I just flip the hose around and water the whole area. Drip irrigation, by the by, is great. Love those emitters!

Old 07-23-2018, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
"How do you know I used to live in Miami Gardens?"....the zip code in your profile
oh!! haha forgot about that!

Old 07-23-2018, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
I just water mine right out of the hose. It is drought tolerant - once it's established. And getting established takes a lot longer than 2 months. I don't consider any perennial I plant to be "established" until the second year.

I do tend to try to water more around the root area, but mostly I just flip the hose around and water the whole area. Drip irrigation, by the by, is great. Love those emitters!
thanks for the feed back! I just bought an irrigation system so I can feed from the roots. I am hoping my shrubs will regrow that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden