Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 12:09 AM

4,168 posts, read 2,565,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
Oh my, per Post #67, the manufacturers of the herbicide, Agent Orange, were sued and the case was settled out of court:

A large class-action lawsuit was filed in 1979 against the herbicide manufacturers, and was settled out of court in 1984. It resulted in the Agent Orange Settlement Fund, which distributed nearly $200 million to veterans between 1988 and 1996.

Wanna guess who the two largest manufacturers of Agent Orange were? Well, how about poor innocent lil' Monsanto (The "Old Monsanto") and Dow Chemical?
Some things never change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2018, 03:52 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times
Why dont people listen and learn this has gone on forever and its been known the hazzards in this and other products for years so why is nothing being done and why are we the public not refusing to use their poisoned rubbish.. time we all woke up and ditched the lot..but dont think for one minute its only Roundup..if only you knew what your using daily. its shocking and we should all be doing more to have this stopped now. https://www.brainmdhealth.com/blog/h...armful-toxins/have you noticed that things dont change until theres a big court case and claim.. same with Johnsons baby products... now theyve taken out some of the harmful junk that should never have been there in the first place and now the UK are planning to remove Roundup too... shame they have to hide their heads in the sand until money involved.

Last edited by dizzybint; 08-13-2018 at 04:21 AM..

Old 08-13-2018, 04:34 AM

4,596 posts, read 6,350,757 times
"PBI/Gordon is a big maker of glyphosate, yet I never hear anyone going after them, only big evil Monsanto"

For me, it's not the chemical I dislike, I do use a generic, Monsanto and their methods of operation is what sets me off. Monsanto (now Bayer) and a few others are controlling more and more of our food production... why ?

Who owns the seed market (see page 9)

Why is Monsanto hated so much ?.

Monsanto's Harvest of Fear

I encourage everyone to do their own research into Monsanto via published material....from all sources.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 08-13-2018, 07:23 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
The #1 is living longer and #2 is probably that we are able to detect cancers earlier than we were years ago via better screening processes. People are counted as having cancers that wouldn’t have been ever diagnosed previously. The country with the highest rate of skin cancer is Denmark, and I’m not guessing that the Danes are high level users of sunscreen.

As for this case, I have my doubts. It just seems unlikely that after 2 years, you’d develop cancer. Usually cancer takes much longer to develop than that. That is not to say that high levels of exposure wouldn’t be dangerous or cause cancer farther down the road, but in 2 years? I have to question it.
Predictable response. Back when I was a kid there were NO kids in my town who had cancer. Sure, that's just anecdotal, but in talking with other older people, they never knew of a kid with cancer either. We were with these same kids from kindergarten through high school so we would have noticed if one had gotten cancer.

People did get cancer but it was a disease of old age. Now we are exposed to so much in our foods, air, lotions, cleaning products, some sunscreens--the list goes on--add it all up and no wonder so many people, even kids are getting cancer.

Old 08-13-2018, 07:35 AM

13,706 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
The problem is that almost anything and everything is accused of causing cancer by scientists including smog to over cooked steak. The person in the lawsuit was a groundskeeper at a school district. He was exposed to Roundup almost every day for many years. How many of us use Roundup once or twice a year and even then in very small areas? Who's to say if he had been a clerk in a dept store, he wouldn't have gotten cancer just the same?
There are just too many variables with millions of people developing cancer to say this did it or that did it.
That's an excellent point. Someone walking around the fence killing poison ivy twice a year is a bit different than someone that's using it for hours at a time every week.

Its like wasp killer or rat poison; not particularly nice, but when you need it, you need it. I know that buckthorn, about the only way to get rid of it was cut it and douse the stump.

Similarly, I don't like the stuff...But for something like Poison Ivy, you don't have a ton of choice.

Even paver stone or sidewalk crack growth I'm inclined to hit with the weedwhacker every other week.

Old 08-13-2018, 07:47 AM

13,706 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Predictable response. Back when I was a kid there were NO kids in my town who had cancer. Sure, that's just anecdotal, but in talking with other older people, they never knew of a kid with cancer either. We were with these same kids from kindergarten through high school so we would have noticed if one had gotten cancer.

People did get cancer but it was a disease of old age. Now we are exposed to so much in our foods, air, lotions, cleaning products, some sunscreens--the list goes on--add it all up and no wonder so many people, even kids are getting cancer.
I'm 30. My mom recently retired as a school nurse. I didn't know anyone growing up that dealt with a childhood cancer. There was one in my HS age group, of about 700 kids between two schools, that passed from a brain tumor our senior year. My mom couldn't think of any kids that dealt with in K-5 in her 10-15 year tenure at her school. My aunt is a HS principal, similarly she remembered one kid dealing with that in 20+ years at her school.

So anecdotally, I don't see childhood cancer rates rising.

Now, my wife was a Pre-K special ed teacher, and she had one or two every year that was dealing with it. But those with Down's Syndrome have a 10-20 fold greater risk of developing a bunch of "common" childhood cancers.

Old 08-13-2018, 08:29 AM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

I can remember a 5-year old neighbor boy dying of leukemia in 1963. I had relatives die of leukemia at age 33 in 1963 and Hodgkin's disease at age 39 in 1969. We were exposed to much more air and water pollution in the 1960s than we are today. Many of the streams in Western PA were orange in those days from mine drainage. We are just exposed to different things today. There must be statistics on cancer deaths over time that would indicate if cancer deaths in young people are increasing or not.

Last edited by villageidiot1; 08-13-2018 at 09:53 AM..

Old 08-13-2018, 08:59 AM

19,014 posts, read 27,562,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
In the last 10 years I have cut way back but early in my gardening life I used a bunch of the stuff. Scary stuff. Wish salt and vinegar worked but it just kills top growth.

https://www.theguardian.com/business...johnson-ruling

I said this before and will repeat myself. Salt works fine and for extended period of time. Much longer than Roundup or similar toxins. 4 mths and counting here.

As a side note... Think of Home Depot staff working in the garden chemicals area. It hurts to breath simply walking through it, least to say - spending hrs there.

Old 08-13-2018, 09:04 AM

643 posts, read 328,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
"PBI/Gordon is a big maker of glyphosate, yet I never hear anyone going after them, only big evil Monsanto"

For me, it's not the chemical I dislike, I do use a generic, Monsanto and their methods of operation is what sets me off. Monsanto (now Bayer) and a few others are controlling more and more of our food production... why ?

Who owns the seed market (see page 9)

Why is Monsanto hated so much ?.

Monsanto's Harvest of Fear

I encourage everyone to do their own research into Monsanto via published material....from all sources.

Regards
Gemstone1
I disagree with " controlling the seed".

When I was farming, I got a catalog from a huge seed distributor in southern Minnesota.
Since I was a dairy farmer who grazed, I always was amazed at the selection I had with grass and clover seed.

I checked out seed corn, and yes, many selections were protected GMO seeds.

However, I could have still had a wide selection on non-GMO seed corn.

The problem is some farmers don't want to use that lower priced non- GMO seed because the yield won't be as good.

They demand they be able to buy Monsanto's corn at the lower price of available seed that they don't want to plant.

Old 08-13-2018, 09:23 AM

643 posts, read 328,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Glyphosate isn’t used on lawns, if it were, there wouldn’t be any lawn because it would all be dead.

Personally, I worry more about chemicals like atrazine or dicamba that are used in weed and feed products. Atrazine is used heavily on golf courses and corn fields and persists for a long time.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atra...e_USA_2011.png
Atrazine used on golf courses?

This retired farmer sprayed many acres of corn fields in the 70's and 80's with Atrazine.

If you were not careful and overlapped just a little, grass would not grow on those areas for a couple years.

How could Atrazine be used on grass golf courses ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden