U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 08:53 AM

18,104 posts, read 16,444,002 times

Advertisements

These are in SE Pa and spreading like a plague. If you're anywhere in the eastern USA it will affect you in a few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2018, 09:25 AM

13,482 posts, read 29,425,055 times
Great, another invasive pest from China.

Old 08-15-2018, 09:53 AM

13,118 posts, read 10,560,296 times
According to this article (https://modernfarmer.com/2018/02/spo...-pennsylvania/) PA already quarantine on 13 counties. This bug spreads fast and it will not be too long before everybody feels the pain.

Old 08-15-2018, 11:01 AM

13,482 posts, read 29,425,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
According to this article (https://modernfarmer.com/2018/02/spo...-pennsylvania/) PA already quarantine on 13 counties. This bug spreads fast and it will not be too long before everybody feels the pain.
Yup, those quarantines just delay the spread a bit, but they never work.

Old 08-15-2018, 12:51 PM

4,743 posts, read 8,435,394 times
fisheye - thanks for the link. Your article mentions that the invasive lanternfly lives on the invasive tree of heaven (of "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" fame). It seems that Pennsylvania could do a lot of good by removing the trees.

Other states should probably work harder to remove their invasive trees as well...

Old 08-15-2018, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
fisheye - thanks for the link. Your article mentions that the invasive lanternfly lives on the invasive tree of heaven (of "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" fame). It seems that Pennsylvania could do a lot of good by removing the trees.

Other states should probably work harder to remove their invasive trees as well...

A strategy like that one helped me conquer my problem with the Eastern Tent caterpillars that were climbing all over my house in the earl Spring. I simply cut down all the short wild cherry trees on our property. The large wild cherry trees, that were thirty feet or more taller, did not seem to have that problem. Of course they also liked my apples, pears and peaches - but I sprayed and hand picked the webs off my fruit trees. In just a few years I had them in control.

On the other hand the Spotted Lanternflies are a problem. Read this link: https://ag.umass.edu/landscape/fact-...ted-lanternfly. According to that link: "The spotted lanternfly has been reported from over 70 species of plants...." It would not be a bad idea to eliminate all the Trees of Heaven; but that would not end our problems.

Old 08-22-2018, 06:38 AM

23,873 posts, read 17,571,986 times
Quote:
A strategy like that one helped me conquer my problem with the Eastern Tent caterpillars that were climbing all over my house in the earl Spring. I simply cut down all the short wild cherry trees on our property. The large wild cherry trees, that were thirty feet or more taller, did not seem to have that problem. Of course they also liked my apples, pears and peaches - but I sprayed and hand picked the webs off my fruit trees. In just a few years I had them in control.

On the other hand the Spotted Lanternflies are a problem. Read this link: https://ag.umass.edu/landscape/fact-...ted-lanternfly. According to that link: "The spotted lanternfly has been reported from over 70 species of plants...." It would not be a bad idea to eliminate all the Trees of Heaven; but that would not end our problems.
that's right. if they only ate crappy trees of heaven most people wouldn't even care, but they eat lots of other things, not excluding grapevines. and they apparently taste horrible so nothing wants to eat them.
they are also in winchester VA as well.

Old 08-22-2018, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
that's right. if they only ate crappy trees of heaven most people wouldn't even care, but they eat lots of other things, not excluding grapevines. and they apparently taste horrible so nothing wants to eat them.
they are also in winchester VA as well.

Everybody said that about the Gypsy moths (that nothing would eat them); but our ducks loved them. Unfortunately we never taught our ducks how to climb trees! Have you ever squashed a Gypsy moth egg sack and then smelled your fingers? They really reek! Possibly we could bottle the smell for a perfume or male scent so that nobody would ever have to worry about friends or sex ever again? Think of all the money people could save!

I am just hoping that our ducks like a little Lanternfly seasoning on their Gypsy moths!

It is too bad that we do not turn all of our resources on stopping these invasive pest before they take over our world. It always seems we are a day late and a dollar short!

Old 08-22-2018, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Everybody said that about the Gypsy moths (that nothing would eat them); but our ducks loved them. Unfortunately we never taught our ducks how to climb trees! Have you ever squashed a Gypsy moth egg sack and then smelled your fingers? They really reek! Possibly we could bottle the smell for a perfume or male scent so that nobody would ever have to worry about friends or sex ever again? Think of all the money people could save!

I am just hoping that our ducks like a little Lanternfly seasoning on their Gypsy moths!

It is too bad that we do not turn all of our resources on stopping these invasive pest before they take over our world. It always seems we are a day late and a dollar short!
no, i always make sure to use a stick when tackling gypsy moth nests.

the USDA already spends hundreds of millions per year dealing with all these imported pests but it just can't keep up with them.

here's an article about the icky-tasting lanternflies.

https://www.npr.org/2018/07/10/62778...s-in-150-years

"PHILLIPS: First discovered near Reading, Pa., in 2014, the spotted lanternfly has spread across 13 counties in the state, munching on suburban maples, grapes and orchards. It likes to eat everything, which means it could be more devastating than the invasive emerald ash borer. And the worse thing is it's not very tasty, so it has no real predators here in the U.S.

DAVID PAAR: There are no birds coming and picking the nymphs off the trees."

Old 08-22-2018, 01:08 PM

^ adding to the above quote

"Fred Strathmeyer is a deputy secretary at Pennsylvania's Department of Agriculture. Strathmeyer says if it continues to spread, the pest could cause an estimated $18 billion to $20 billion in damage to agriculture and forestry just in the state of Pennsylvania alone."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden