U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 09:09 PM

3,981 posts, read 5,411,219 times

Advertisements

Do they spread by seed or by runners? The wild strawberrie here spread by runners. They have spread all through my front flowerbed. I grew some alpine strawberries from seed. They didn't spread, in fact I think I have lost most of them.
The wild ones do have tasty berries, but they are small.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2008, 09:13 AM

4,597 posts, read 7,588,847 times
My ornamental strawberry sends out runners that then take root and become another little plant. Think: spider plant, the houseplant. It doesn't seem to take them long, either. The berries, of course, have seeds and I imagine just as DrDrea23 alludes, the seeds get spread everywhere by birds and the like, and evidently have no problem germinating and growing.

I checked on the little devils just yesterday, and they are rapidly filling-in the front of the bed where I planted them last Spring. The flowers are so sweet, and the berries so cute, until I am just going to leave them where they are, for now. It's a small bed, and they look nice at the front, with Stella d'Oro daylilies at the back. They, too, are invasive so they may get interesting -- just who will choke who out?

Old 06-02-2009, 08:20 PM

3,319 posts, read 4,244,101 times
I've got wild strawberries, that must have been planted by the previous owner.(or a bird...) I really don't like them because they are choking out my dianthus.

-edit-

Sorry for bumping such an old thread for such a useless post. I forgot I was using the search tool.

Old 02-04-2011, 09:49 AM

1 posts, read 1,150 times
Try planting ferns or daffodils for a nice woodland affect....you could also plant a small maple or dogwood in the center depending on the size of your bed... the affect is just breath taking..... sprawling ground covers like ivy, periwinkle, and most mints can take over a garden in a heart beat but once they do if you are creative they can lead to a fairly easy natural garden.

Old 02-04-2011, 02:09 PM

7,089 posts, read 8,530,701 times
Do ya ever wonder why they haven't come up with an invasive Tomato Plant? If you put one in the ground, before spring is over with, you'd have an entire row of the things. Somebody could make a fortune with these things if they were a tasty Tomato.

Old 02-09-2011, 01:03 PM

13,707 posts, read 8,174,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Do ya ever wonder why they haven't come up with an invasive Tomato Plant? If you put one in the ground, before spring is over with, you'd have an entire row of the things. Somebody could make a fortune with these things if they were a tasty Tomato.
i've often thought how cool it would be to come up with a useful crop plant that had all the survival qualities of a weed.

goodbye world hunger!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden