U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 01:14 AM

1,610 posts, read 564,245 times

Advertisements

I don't think the hostas will do well in pots. I have never seen them in pots, excet in stores for sale. They need the coolness of being planted in the ground, at least for over wintering. I think you said you have a six foot fence. Can you plant them up against the fence, could the fence itself provide shade. I guess that's would depends from which direction the sun hits the fence.
Regarding plants in pots/ground. I once planted a geranium in the ground. It didn't really grow. I figured it's probably because it needed the warmer soil and ground was too cool.

Maybe,at least temporarily you can make something work to give some shade. Do you have your own fenced in yard? Maybe attach some screen cloth,( like what is used on your window screens) along the fence with heavy duty stapes and down to ground, kind of a lean to of screen fabric. You will have to use imagination a bit. That should provide enough shade for a while until something more permanent.

Do you have a friend or relative that can take some of your stock and plant in their yard until you have a solution worked out? I understand your frustration. I had peonies that were 4 or more generations in my family. I dug a bunch up and gave them to a few friends before I moved to Texas. Luckily when I moved back to Minnesota I was able to get some of that stock and start some new in my new home.

Just noticed you tried shade cloth. I do know hosta, at least most if them can tolerate a lot of sun. I've seen some in a garden that get full sun most if the day. Not sure why they chose hostas. They have been doing ok for about 8 years so far. Not the happiest looking hostas but are still growing. Maybe you only getting half a day of direct sun yours would be fine...... sorry I'm rambling, got to go.

Last edited by Izzie1213; 09-04-2018 at 01:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2018, 09:50 PM

36,414 posts, read 41,176,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
I don't think the hostas will do well in pots. I have never seen them in pots, excet in stores for sale. They need the coolness of being planted in the ground, at least for over wintering. I think you said you have a six foot fence. Can you plant them up against the fence, could the fence itself provide shade. I guess that's would depends from which direction the sun hits the fence.
Regarding plants in pots/ground. I once planted a geranium in the ground. It didn't really grow. I figured it's probably because it needed the warmer soil and ground was too cool.

Maybe,at least temporarily you can make something work to give some shade. Do you have your own fenced in yard? Maybe attach some screen cloth,( like what is used on your window screens) along the fence with heavy duty stapes and down to ground, kind of a lean to of screen fabric. You will have to use imagination a bit. That should provide enough shade for a while until something more permanent.

Do you have a friend or relative that can take some of your stock and plant in their yard until you have a solution worked out? I understand your frustration. I had peonies that were 4 or more generations in my family. I dug a bunch up and gave them to a few friends before I moved to Texas. Luckily when I moved back to Minnesota I was able to get some of that stock and start some new in my new home.

Just noticed you tried shade cloth. I do know hosta, at least most if them can tolerate a lot of sun. I've seen some in a garden that get full sun most if the day. Not sure why they chose hostas. They have been doing ok for about 8 years so far. Not the happiest looking hostas but are still growing. Maybe you only getting half a day of direct sun yours would be fine...... sorry I'm rambling, got to go.
I've grown hosta in ornamental pots on a previous front porch and they did very well until Bambi et all found them all up. Don't have to worry about Bambi here. I hate seeing my hosta burned up. I decided to get some patio umbrellas and put them in stands in the garden for some I want to keep planted and I'll put the rest in my nice pots. Thanks for the suggestions.

Old 09-09-2018, 11:00 PM

21,198 posts, read 25,671,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
How tall are these plants? You could build some lath shade structures that are right at 6 feet tall. Not gorgeous, but better than losing your favorites.

Your backyard is completely enclosed, right?

IME, many of the plants you list will take all the sun I can give them and still want more, so I suspect that quite a few of them will make the adjustment. Yes, I know we live in very different climates, but I wouldn’t throw in the towel just yet.

Hostas will insist on shade though.
Shouldn't that be trowel, jacqueg?

That's what I initially read it to be!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or