U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-30-2018, 06:43 PM
 
Location: Nantahala National Forest, NC
17,356 posts, read 3,528,493 times
Reputation: 22588

Advertisements

My one Purple Cherokee tomato did great, good size fruit, sweet. Many many a tomato pie.

The Patios, on the other hand, well they got only half day sun so still many green ones on the vines. Will not plant these again. Some of the herbs have conked out already...I didn't have much of a garden this year.

Are you happy with this year's garden?

Last edited by greatblueheron; 08-30-2018 at 07:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-30-2018, 07:29 PM
 
1,358 posts, read 651,003 times
Reputation: 5928
My tomatoes did okay, plenty of beans and peas, blueberries and strawberries were unusually good this year. Hydrangeas were gorgeous, some still are but fading in color a bit now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2018, 07:18 AM
 
Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,386 posts, read 50,562,503 times
Reputation: 28616
Our tomatoes are still going strong, especially the Sungolds and Black Cherry with blossoms still coming. The biggest we can grow here are Early Girl due to our short season, and those are just starting to ripen. The snow peas, Banana Peppers and Cucumbers have done well this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2018, 07:21 AM
 
Location: Nantahala National Forest, NC
17,356 posts, read 3,528,493 times
Reputation: 22588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Our tomatoes are still going strong, especially the Sungolds and Black Cherry with blossoms still coming. The biggest we can grow here are Early Girl due to our short season, and those are just starting to ripen. The snow peas, Banana Peppers and Cucumbers have done well this year.

Glad to hear it....love snow peas!

weather has been crazy on the east coast...so much rain this summer...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2018, 07:31 AM
 
2,686 posts, read 1,769,477 times
Reputation: 5099
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
My one Purple Cherokee tomato did great, good size fruit, sweet. Many many a tomato pie.

The Patios, on the other hand, well they got only half day sun so still many green ones on the vines. Will not plant these again. Some of the herbs have conked out already...I didn't have much of a garden this year.

Are you happy with this year's garden?
Yeah, Patios, meh. Won't plant them again. Other than that, the maters (Better Boy, Celebrity, Bonnie Original) were doing well. We were eating, freezing, and giving some away. But now something's attacking them. I suspect birds, in spite of our shiny whirlygigs.

Last year's tomato crop was horrible, so I'm pleased with this one.

Seven pepper plants. Four HOT. We only wanted three, and one half-hot. Ha. But they are merrily spewing peppers.

Beans, not so good this year. We've still gotten a few pints.

Greens did poorly. Something was 'at' them. We planted carrots and the leaves are being devoured.

I loved the Cherokee Purples the one year I planted them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2018, 07:37 AM
 
Location: Denver/Boulder Zone 5b
1,340 posts, read 3,138,723 times
Reputation: 1280
I am overall pleased with this season - I got some positively monstrous tomatoes - much larger on average than in any previous season. Numbers were down, though, the plants are shutting down weeks earlier than usual and I had much more widespread disease issues than I ever have. Peppers did very well, particularly the jalapenos and bell peppers, and continue to do so. Herbs were awesome. Honestly, I'm kind of ready for it to go to bed. Time to start cleaning up and planning for 2019. Always the most fun!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2018, 07:39 AM
 
Location: Nantahala National Forest, NC
17,356 posts, read 3,528,493 times
Reputation: 22588
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickMan7 View Post
I am overall pleased with this season - I got some positively monstrous tomatoes - much larger on average than in any previous season. Numbers were down, though, the plants are shutting down weeks earlier than usual and I had much more widespread disease issues than I ever have. Peppers did very well, particularly the jalapenos and bell peppers, and continue to do so. Herbs were awesome. Honestly, I'm kind of ready for it to go to bed. Time to start cleaning up and planning for 2019. Always the most fun!

Yes, planning is the fun part! I think you had a great yr. after seeing all your posts. Congrats, that was hard work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2018, 09:43 AM
 
857 posts, read 642,065 times
Reputation: 1662
With the heat the last few days, I had a great crop of figs yesterday. Had Sals Corelene, Chicago Hardy, Celeste, Golden Celeste, Keseriani, Karpenisi White and LSU purple for desert. They were almost as sweet as the figs that ripen in mid-July. I'll keep getting a few figs a day until first frost in November but these are probably the last of the exceptional ones for the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2018, 10:46 AM
 
Location: Nantahala National Forest, NC
17,356 posts, read 3,528,493 times
Reputation: 22588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfalz View Post
With the heat the last few days, I had a great crop of figs yesterday. Had Sals Corelene, Chicago Hardy, Celeste, Golden Celeste, Keseriani, Karpenisi White and LSU purple for desert. They were almost as sweet as the figs that ripen in mid-July. I'll keep getting a few figs a day until first frost in November but these are probably the last of the exceptional ones for the year.
Lucky you...never heard of all the varieties...

My grandmother had a large fig tree and as kids we'd get almost sick from gorging on them right off the tree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2018, 11:56 AM
 
Location: north narrowlina
734 posts, read 219,812 times
Reputation: 3002
well, living here in the same state as you, who can grow anything in this REDder than brick clay? I'd have to spend a fortune on peat moss, leaf mulch and loam in order to condition my clay.... i have tried unsuccessfully to just grow hostas, forsythia, black eyed susans, daisies.... EVERYTHING DIES after one year in this soil (and it's not like I didn't try to add some peat/loam/ mulch, it's just i couldn't buy enough or even go deep enough)..... have better success in my clay pots for one tomato plant, three kinds of onions, but that's pretty much all i can grow unless i want to cut down at least 20 trees out of the 300 on my property
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top