U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 12:03 PM
Status: "Will global warming make indianapolis the new death valley?" (set 6 days ago)

2,174 posts, read 1,569,145 times

Advertisements

Since itís September and fall colors are just weeks away depending on a given location, I thought that it would be fun to keep track of where the trees are changing colors. I know in Central Indiana the trees here are pretty much still green but in about 5 or 6 more weeks(give or take), the trees in my part of the United States will Be beginning to change into the autumnal pastel colors as fall colors begin to paint the landscape, fall colors should be near or at peak by the middle of October in the Indianapolis area assuming all the weather and other factors are fairly constant, so, feel free to post pics of the trees(and other vegetation that changes colors), btw this is a thread for the entire Northern Hemisphere and is by no means restricted to North America
Knock yourselves out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2018, 12:51 PM

13,134 posts, read 10,568,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isleofpalms85 View Post
Since itís September and fall colors are just weeks away depending on a given location, I thought that it would be fun to keep track of where the trees are changing colors. I know in Central Indiana the trees here are pretty much still green but in about 5 or 6 more weeks(give or take), the trees in my part of the United States will Be beginning to change into the autumnal pastel colors as fall colors begin to paint the landscape, fall colors should be near or at peak by the middle of October in the Indianapolis area assuming all the weather and other factors are fairly constant, so, feel free to post pics of the trees(and other vegetation that changes colors), btw this is a thread for the entire Northern Hemisphere and is by no means restricted to North America
Knock yourselves out.

I use to drive truck and from around the NYC area I always enjoyed getting dispatched in the Fall up to Plattsburg, NY and then over the ferry to Burlington, VT and then down through CN or over to NH in the Fall. It is a beautiful trip for those that love the fall colors. They can be spectacular with the right amount of rain and cold weather. I think it is still early. The higher elevations do turn quicker than the lower elevations. Many of the local news programs announce the peak foliage times.

There are many areas of the Country that have great Fall foliage. We also have many great places in PA. I am sure you have many in Indiana.

Good luck chasing leaves!

Old 09-02-2018, 05:14 PM

34,531 posts, read 42,708,506 times
Yes, it’s getting towards that time up north. Here in the Deep South though, it won’t be until December. I miss the fall in Ohio.

Old 09-02-2018, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Yes, itís getting towards that time up north. Here in the Deep South though, it wonít be until December. I miss the fall in Ohio.

Here is a 2018 prediction map: https://fstoppers.com/nature/2018-us...raphers-284279. I don't think you made it on the map so far. Take note that, that if you slide the date slider that yours should change by the first or second week of October. Upstate NY and VT should be in good color towards the end of this month.

Old 09-02-2018, 06:38 PM

6,015 posts, read 5,795,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Here is a 2018 prediction map: https://fstoppers.com/nature/2018-us...raphers-284279.....

Cool map!

Old 09-03-2018, 06:53 AM
B87

10,824 posts, read 6,906,830 times
2 months until our peak.

Old 09-03-2018, 08:06 AM

221 posts, read 44,326 times
4 weeks till our peak

Old 09-03-2018, 08:59 AM

10,374 posts, read 4,079,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Here is a 2018 prediction map: https://fstoppers.com/nature/2018-us...raphers-284279. I don't think you made it on the map so far. Take note that, that if you slide the date slider that yours should change by the first or second week of October. Upstate NY and VT should be in good color towards the end of this month.
Wow, great map! I'm visiting NE KY mid October and looking very much forward to being near peak or peak.

Old 09-03-2018, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Wow, great map! I'm visiting NE KY mid October and looking very much forward to being near peak or peak.
Thank you! One thing that should help this year is that the gypsy moths were not that bad. And; we were not supper dry in the East like out West. Of course an early hard freeze can throw off the time line for that Foliage 'prediction' map. So, if you traveling just for the colors, you still have to check the weather.

Old 09-03-2018, 01:48 PM

5,162 posts, read 2,994,994 times
First or second week in October here in Southern MN. Then it will be time to cruise over to the Mississippi for the big show and down to La Crescent for apples.

We have a bit of sumac and a scattering of maples beginning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden