Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 06:58 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
I'm sorry that happened to you. It would have upset me as well. I bet they do grow back though, and they'll be like new.

This spring, my husband heavily pruned my wisteria just before it bloomed. All those lovely blooms were decapitated. It wasn't the first time he did it, and it probably won't be the last. Some people just aren't gardeners.

But why do they seem totally clueless? Didn't he know how much you loved blooming wisteria??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2018, 07:27 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
But why do they seem totally clueless? Didn't he know how much you loved blooming wisteria??

When I cut ours all the way back I applied copious amounts of pruning sealer (like this: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Spectracide...iABEgLg8fD_BwE) to the trunks sticking out the ground.

The reason I did that is because of the boring ants that like our Rhododendron. Before the ants get into the ends of the limbs cut on yours; you might want to consider picking up and spraying the ends of the exposed limbs. Those borers can kill off leaves and whole limbs: https://extension.umd.edu/learn/ipm-...odendrons-hg51. Inspect the cutoff limbs for a hole in the middle. Sometimes you can shove a wire down the hole and crush the borer inside - but I would still spray the ends to prevent more from joining the party!

PS Still looking for my battery charger!

Old 09-05-2018, 10:34 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,377,574 times
Default Since 1957

Quote:
I'm really sad and need to vent a bit. I'm very into the many, many rhododendrons around my home.

He was supposed to wait until I was home so I could direct where and how much to trim. Instead, he just took off with shearing them all the way back.....all you can see are dead wood, bare stems etc. He only left the tops.

I am so disturbed, hope someone understands. And NO, they will not grow back...

Yes, I know someone will say "it's just shrubs" but they were my joy and he did exactly what I asked him not to do....
Just venting, I know of no solution.
My senior friend planted a very large Rododendron when they built their hosue in 1957. I suggested when she told me she was calling a arbour company that I should come by with YELLOW JOBSITE TAPE and mark the shrub. She passed.

She's in British Properties in West Vancouver, BC an area that USUALLY has arbor companies that know what they're doing, but employment in that industry is somewhat seasonal. Sure enough, whoever showed up didn't know the difference, nor was there the leadership, to explain what a Rhodo was compared to say, that 150 foot Fir over yonder. Crap.

Replacing that butcher job should have been a 10,000 dollar hit on the so-called company of clowns.

Next time, police dead person marking tape. Maybe THEN they'd grasp "the concept".

Old 09-05-2018, 11:20 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
They will grow back. That's not recomended pruning, but rhodies are tough. Have some patience and maybe don't have that gardener back again.
I had on in a place where I was going to do something else and cut it to the ground. As it turned out I didn't ever make the changes, and it sprouted back the next spring. It's now 4 years later and higher than the 6' fence.

Old 09-05-2018, 01:20 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Sad story about incompetent nincompoops. I owned the second house ever built in the valley. It had a dozen huge old historic apple trees.

I rented the house out and the tenant called me into the backyard to proudly show me that he had limbed those trees up so that a tall person could walk underneath them with plenty of clearance ( done without permission, of course)

Thanks a lot, now even the very lowest apples can't be picked without a ladder. There is a reason that fruit trees have low growing branches. Those limbs removed like that never grow back.

Old 09-05-2018, 03:10 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,025,141 times
Quote:
I'm really sad and need to vent a bit. I'm very into the many, many rhododendrons around my home.

He was supposed to wait until I was home so I could direct where and how much to trim. Instead, he just took off with shearing them all the way back.....all you can see are dead wood, bare stems etc. He only left the tops.

I am so disturbed, hope someone understands. And NO, they will not grow back...

Yes, I know someone will say "it's just shrubs" but they were my joy and he did exactly what I asked him not to do....

Just venting, I know of no solution.

I get it. I'm a gardener too.

Maybe call your homeowner's insurance company? Maybe they could be replaced? I'm sad with you.

Old 09-05-2018, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I get it. I'm a gardener too.

Maybe call your homeowner's insurance company? Maybe they could be replaced? I'm sad with you.

Thanks...I'll wait to see if they can recover some first...??

Old 09-05-2018, 05:48 PM

329 posts, read 204,240 times
Actually, if your rhododendrons looked to be thinning, it's proper pruning technique to cut them back significantly and they will grow back much fuller.

Old 09-05-2018, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry88 View Post
Actually, if your rhododendrons looked to be thinning, it's proper pruning technique to cut them back significantly and they will grow back much fuller.
They were in perfect condition.

Old 09-05-2018, 06:08 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,977,890 times
Quote:

Yes, he knows I love them, but he knows nothing about how plants work, and he doesn't want to learn. No matter how many times I tell him when and how to prune, he just whacks things off at random times. After 25 years of this, I've accepted that this will happen periodically, and I don't get too attached to my garden anymore. I have some horror stories to tell, but I'll keep them to myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden