U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 06:10 PM

13,131 posts, read 10,560,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
They were in perfect condition.

If I could find our charger for our two cameras; I would send you a picture of ours now. Believe me; they are doing great and I should prune them this year to keep their shape. The reason I cannot find the charger is because my wife is too sick to communicate and she is the one that knows where everything is located.

I wish that you could post a picture of yours so we could see how bad. Please consider the pruning sealant to prevent the borer's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2018, 06:50 PM

17,356 posts, read 3,528,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
If I could find our charger for our two cameras; I would send you a picture of ours now. Believe me; they are doing great and I should prune them this year to keep their shape. The reason I cannot find the charger is because my wife is too sick to communicate and she is the one that knows where everything is located.

I wish that you could post a picture of yours so we could see how bad. Please consider the pruning sealant to prevent the borer's.

I'm very sorry to hear your wife is so ill...
we never know what's going on in the lives of other cd posters.

Thanks for the encouragement. Will check pruning sealant.
I don't have a camera, currently...

Old 09-05-2018, 10:06 PM

23,903 posts, read 31,123,865 times
Quote:
Thanks...but I don't see how...
they are very old and some are cut all the way back to the main stem...
Of course they will come back.

Stop being silly now.

Old 09-05-2018, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Of course they will come back.

Stop being silly now.

I was really down when I posted that....thanks

Old 09-07-2018, 02:39 AM

2,025 posts, read 4,994,412 times
I pruned mine that was over 10 ft high to <4 ft so it doesnt look so overgrown. It looked horrible at first but it grew back to a denser plant by yr 2. That was a few yrs ago and now it has gotten too big already. So just keep it pruned as it grows back so you get a denser, better looking plant that before the whole mess.

I feel sorry for the other poster's rosemary plant - for sure that sounded like a disaster and they won't grow back.

Old 09-07-2018, 07:23 AM

736 posts, read 172,216 times
Quote:
I'm really sad and need to vent a bit. I'm very into the many, many rhododendrons around my home.

He was supposed to wait until I was home so I could direct where and how much to trim. Instead, he just took off with shearing them all the way back.....all you can see are dead wood, bare stems etc. He only left the tops.

I am so disturbed, hope someone understands. And NO, they will not grow back...

Yes, I know someone will say "it's just shrubs" but they were my joy and he did exactly what I asked him not to do....

Just venting, I know of no solution.
That would pee me off too. I can relate. I had the same situation with some yew bushes that an over-zealous trainee gardener hacked. Took years to come back. The rhododendrons recover faster than yews in my experience. But still too long!

I guess for whatever reason I'm a person with a fixed template of the natural world around me - anyone on our street chops down a tree I immediately notice something's different -and I don't like it!

Old 09-07-2018, 08:32 AM

34,531 posts, read 42,694,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
I'm sorry that happened to you. It would have upset me as well. I bet they do grow back though, and they'll be like new.

This spring, my husband heavily pruned my wisteria just before it bloomed. All those lovely blooms were decapitated. It wasn't the first time he did it, and it probably won't be the last. Some people just aren't gardeners.
At least itís impossible to kill wisteria. It will come back even stronger.

Old 09-07-2018, 08:51 AM

445 posts, read 566,643 times
Rhododendrons are hard to trim the more overgrown they get. I had 4 or 5 close together in my backyard--they might have originally been one bush (?)--that were 25 ft. tall, & the trunks were 4 or 5 inches in diameter. Like the tree guy told me, there was no real way to trim them--if I'd had them trimmed down to 5 ft. tall, there would have been just the 4 or 5 trunks left. I had them all cut down, & now there's one small one growing back, but it's kind of sickly with this whitish stuff on some of the leaves. Here's a pic, would anyone know what to do? Spray it with something?

Here's also a pic of 2 Rhododendrons in front of my house that I pruned myself. They were very overgrown, at least for where they were located. I think I did a fairly good job; but it was a LOT of work. I think I had 4 or 5 large 32 gal. trash cans of trimmings. I tried not to cut any flower buds.

BTW, OP, that really stinks what that incompetent did to your bushes. You have to be there, or DIY. How big are the lower branches, or trunks? Really big & woody? You could consider cutting them back even more, & just letting them start over.
Attached Thumbnails
Guy butchered my rhododendrons....-dsc_0002.jpg   Guy butchered my rhododendrons....-dsc_0011.jpg  

Old 09-07-2018, 09:03 AM

6,295 posts, read 10,460,438 times
I really feel for you OP! Real competent gardeners are going to be very expensive which is why I don't hire anybody! Even if I did, you can bet I'd be standing right behind them directing & irritating them.

Most lawn "gardening" crews (around here anyway) are recent immigrants who have no clue about local plants. They mow, blow, and destroy- like my house painter who (after promising to tie up and cover my plants) stepped on, cut back, and destroyed my plantings....... but that's another rant.

Old 09-07-2018, 10:26 AM

I know, Hollytree.....but he was supposed to wait for me to be there, he just started early.

He's just the guy that mows here...not an immigrant, not a gardener.

I still haven't paid him...he isn't aware of my outrage yet. He has a temper so if I rant he'll just get mad. I don't think he likes working for women. We disagree a lot....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden