U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 09-04-2018, 09:05 AM
 
Location: Nantahala National Forest, NC
17,528 posts, read 3,556,681 times
Reputation: 22724

Advertisements

I'm really sad and need to vent a bit. I'm very into the many, many rhododendrons around my home.

He was supposed to wait until I was home so I could direct where and how much to trim. Instead, he just took off with shearing them all the way back.....all you can see are dead wood, bare stems etc. He only left the tops.

I am so disturbed, hope someone understands. And NO, they will not grow back...

Yes, I know someone will say "it's just shrubs" but they were my joy and he did exactly what I asked him not to do....

Just venting, I know of no solution.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-04-2018, 09:27 AM
 
Location: WA
5,293 posts, read 20,713,721 times
Reputation: 5622
Unfortunately the shearing this late in the year will severely reduce the bloom next year, but over another season they should recover.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2018, 09:35 AM
 
Location: Nantahala National Forest, NC
17,528 posts, read 3,556,681 times
Reputation: 22724
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
Unfortunately the shearing this late in the year will severely reduce the bloom next year, but over another season they should recover.
Thanks...but I don't see how...
they are very old and some are cut all the way back to the main stem...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2018, 09:50 AM
 
Location: Central Texas
19,884 posts, read 36,400,379 times
Reputation: 21321
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
I'm really sad and need to vent a bit. I'm very into the many, many rhododendrons around my home.

He was supposed to wait until I was home so I could direct where and how much to trim. Instead, he just took off with shearing them all the way back.....all you can see are dead wood, bare stems etc. He only left the tops.

I am so disturbed, hope someone understands. And NO, they will not grow back...

Yes, I know someone will say "it's just shrubs" but they were my joy and he did exactly what I asked him not to do....

Just venting, I know of no solution.

What did he say when you pointed out to him that he had done exactly what you'd told him not to do and that he had destroyed your plants? Did he get paid? Did he offer to replace the plantings?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2018, 09:50 AM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
13,163 posts, read 10,580,292 times
Reputation: 9326
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Thanks...but I don't see how...
they are very old and some are cut all the way back to the main stem...

Ours had reached 10 to 12 feet high and we could no longer see from our wrap-around porch. So I did a rejuvenation pruning on them with my chainsaw: https://www.finegardening.com/articl...-rhododendrons. That was about three years ago and the first year it did not look as if they would survive. They were only about a foot and a half high stumps sticking out the ground. some were about four or five inches in diameter. So, first year not a lot of growth, second year there was promise and this year they are about four feet in diameter and four feet high - they look pretty good considering where they were at.

Of course we are not out of the woods yet; the deer have to leave them alone for another year or two and the little buggers do not make promises!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2018, 09:59 AM
 
Location: S.W. British Columbia
6,024 posts, read 5,802,241 times
Reputation: 10514
If he left the tops alone and they are still alive then they will grow back but it will be slowly. I agree with the timeline Fisheye gave above, you could be looking at 4 to 5 years before you see an appreciable difference.


Can you please post some pictures of the plants? It will be easier if we see the job he did on them to tell you what to expect will grow back and where to expect the new bud growth to be and how long it will be before they get full coverage of new leaves and blooms again. Knowing the colours of the blooms of each plant is important too, it can give a better timeline as to when to expect a return of full coverage growth on each plant.


.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2018, 10:05 AM
 
Location: Silicon Valley
16,756 posts, read 20,511,200 times
Reputation: 30819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
If he left the tops alone and they are still alive then they will grow back but it will be slowly. I agree with the timeline Fisheye gave above, you could be looking at 4 to 5 years before you see an appreciable difference.


Can you please post some pictures of the plants? It will be easier if we see the job he did on them to tell you what to expect will grow back and where to expect the new bud growth to be and how long it will be before they get full coverage of new leaves and blooms again. Knowing the colours of the blooms of each plant is important too, it can give a better timeline as to when to expect a return of full coverage growth on each plant.


.
Yes, photos would be helpful. I'm trying to picture how he left the tops alone but did severe pruning. That sounds like a weird shape.

Bottom line, though, if you're unhappy with what he did, I'd at minimum, not pay him. I'd write him a scathing letter threatening to sue, or he can just agree to not get paid, etc.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2018, 11:29 AM
 
Location: Location: Location
6,221 posts, read 7,403,050 times
Reputation: 17867
My two-story high rhodie was fading. Large branches were devoid of green nor did they have blooms. People had remarked how spectacularly beautiful it was when it was in but those days were gone. My #2 Son agreed it needed to be "pruned". He pruned it to the ground with one small (two inch) stem left.

Growth resumed almost immediately and by the next year, it was about 18 inches tall with one bloom. By the second year, it was almost five feet tall and had eight or nine lovely blooms. Four years later and the rhodie has grown and prospered with absolutely no special care.

I agree, you should be upset at the person who didn't wait but don't despair. Time may prove that the plants are hardier than we think and the "person" will get the point of your dissatisfaction when you don't cook his supper for a month!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2018, 11:35 AM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
13,163 posts, read 10,580,292 times
Reputation: 9326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
If he left the tops alone and they are still alive then they will grow back but it will be slowly. I agree with the timeline Fisheye gave above, you could be looking at 4 to 5 years before you see an appreciable difference.


Can you please post some pictures of the plants? It will be easier if we see the job he did on them to tell you what to expect will grow back and where to expect the new bud growth to be and how long it will be before they get full coverage of new leaves and blooms again. Knowing the colours of the blooms of each plant is important too, it can give a better timeline as to when to expect a return of full coverage growth on each plant.


.

Here is a picture of two of the three that I rejuvenated (it was actually four years ago):

http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...ejuvenated.jpg
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2018, 01:07 PM
 
Location: North Idaho
21,008 posts, read 25,781,024 times
Reputation: 39404
They will grow back. That's not recomended pruning, but rhodies are tough. Have some patience and maybe don't have that gardener back again.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top