Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2018, 07:51 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,355,663 times

Advertisements

Does there seem to be a lot more spiders than usual for late summer this year? I'm seeing webs everywhere outside my house and I hate running into them! Yeeeeechhhh! I even sprayed around the foundation but they're spinning webs around my door and patio door, deck, trees.

If there are more, is there some folk wisdom about what that means for the coming winter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2018, 12:26 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,016,027 times
It's normal. Here it's a sure sign we'll be having an extra early autumn and winter (which will be a blessing because it hopefully means an earlier end to our northern wildfires). Here the daylight hours are noticeably shortening, the very worst of the summer heat waves are over, the nights are a bit cooler and we finally got a couple of days of rain this past week after a 4 month long dry stretch. The wildlife recognize all the signs now that we'll be having an early autumn and winter so now the spiders are everywhere preparing for early winter.

I have to check for spider webs everywhere inside my home first thing when I get up in the mornings because they build them in the middle of the night across doorways and any open spaces. I collect them on my broom and shake them off outside. When I go outside to work in the gardens the first thing I do is use a very long bamboo stake to swirl around in the air in front of me to clear all areas of webs. I sometimes need to do that 2 or 3 times a day because they are quick to rebuild their webs.

Old 08-31-2018, 12:52 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,355,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I have to check for spider webs everywhere inside my home first thing when I get up in the mornings because they build them in the middle of the night across doorways and any open spaces. I collect them on my broom and shake them off outside. When I go outside to work in the gardens the first thing I do is use a very long bamboo stake to swirl around in the air in front of me to clear all areas of webs. I sometimes need to do that 2 or 3 times a day because they are quick to rebuild their webs.

Wow - that's a lot of spiders and webs to contend with every day!

Old 08-31-2018, 12:55 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,073,706 times
yes an influx of spiders means an early autumn and winter . I hope we don't get snow I like it cool not super cold and snowy and yes it does snow in south Carolina .

Old 08-31-2018, 01:55 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,016,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Wow - that's a lot of spiders and webs to contend with every day!

It is, but it's normal for this area with there being so many big trees and an abundance of tiny flying insects. At this time of year, at the approach of sunset when the sun is just above the horizon and the wind suddenly comes up the tiniest spiders cast themselves out of the trees and set sail on the winds. Then one can see golden sunlight reflected on the streamers of thousands of single spider strands drifting across open spaces between trees. There will be a tiny spider buoyed up on the end of each streamer reeling its silk out as it floats on the breeze travelling from tree to tree. The air is filled with the shining gold streamers drifting on the wind and they reflect rainbow colours along the lengths of them. It's a beautiful sight to see but when there's a lot of them it's necessary to wear some kind of eyewear to protect the eyes from the spider strands because they can cut the eye on contact, they're that sharp and tough.

Old 08-31-2018, 02:13 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,103,317 times
We always consider mid-September to be spider season here, and yes, we have gotten a few early, but not enough to consider a big difference from normal. Just a few webs hit you in the face in the morning when going across the front steps, and maybe 1-2 every few days spotted in the house.

Old 09-04-2018, 10:32 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,918,476 times
Not outside, but inside. Jeez, I go around with a duster to get corners and under things, and I bust up new spider webs every time. I’m starting to think I might need to spray a little something.

Old 09-04-2018, 11:40 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,435,565 times
Ack! I was weeding my lawn and saw what I believe to be a wolf spider on my hand; I loudly screamed like a little girl (just in case it was a venomous brown recluse) and shook it off. Note that I'm not a little girl, but I do know a few, and my response was a fairly accurate approximation.

Also, note that the only reliable visual indication difference between a brown recluse and other spiders is that a brown recluse has six eyes, whereas most spiders have eight. I did not actually count the eyes of the spider on my hand before screaming.

Old 09-04-2018, 12:27 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,406,229 times
LOL, Reactionary. I try to live in harmony with the fearsome little guys knowing the benefits they provide but, if startled, I can let out a whoop, too.

Here in Southern MN it's time to lay down a light spray in the bedroom or put up with nightly bites. Sheesh, that creeps me out to think those guys can get under the covers, bite and make a getaway without getting squooshed. How do they do that?

Old 09-06-2018, 08:00 AM

17,339 posts, read 11,266,024 times
Just remember those spiders are keeping insects that eat your plants in check. They are beneficial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden