U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2018, 07:23 PM

895 posts, read 263,068 times

Advertisements

Thank you all so much for the feedback, especially to BBCJunkie for the info on the vinyl floor. I'd say the floor is 8-10 inches off the ground; the shed is raised slightly on it's on base, and I had a crushed gravel pad underneath it. When I had it built, I asked the guys to make it bee-tight, and they sure did a great job. Not one bee ever got in there (when the doors were closed) and even through winters, no mice or chipmunks got in to make their home there, thankfully. Better idea as suggested is to paint the floor and put an indoor/outdoor rug for some coziness.
I did find some interesting portable power sources online, YETI being one brand. Very cool items, and not as expensive as I would have thought for their functionality. They run on rechargeable lithium batteries. You can get stringable lights, too.

I would read down there, so I would have a chair, definitely a little table, I'd also meditate and re-start my yoga practice. A little fan might be helpful, although keeping both doors open (double front door so I could cart stuff in and out) as well as the four little windows would work. I'll get one of those self-closing screen thingees to keep out any skeeters and stuff. maybe some yoga (it's big enough).

Nov 3 - I love "thank-u-ary!" I bought this shed soon after I decided to keep bees, and I might even go with a bee theme but not overboard. LOL. It's in a nice spot for hearing and seeing the birds, listening to the breeze in the trees.

Old gardener - hubby can come in for a quick visit, but when I bought that shed, he was informed, MY SHED. None of your junk in here. You have the garage, a much larger shed up closer to the house, and an old tree house that we dragged closer to the house an use to house the wood splitter!

This should be a fun project.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2018, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
May I recommend: Paint or stain the floor.
Put a really comfy wooden rocker and a rug in front of a window for reading light.
Make sure you have cross ventilation and shade.
Have a little table for books, tea or coffee (or adult flavored cool drinks) and a fountain outside for the pleasant sound.
Have a bird bath and some feeders in view and a few window or hanging baskets of flowers and/or herbs.
And a windchime!!!! Not one of those giant clangers, but a soft, musical one (I have three on my porch and I love the sound!) I very much like the idea of a birdbath, too, because I could situate it under one of the trees and watch from my space Thank you for your suggestions!

Where in Eastern Tennessee are you? (you don't have to say). I've visited the area a couple times wandering around and looking for possible retirement locations (I am in the NE). I very much liked Greenville.

Old 09-09-2018, 08:50 PM

13,131 posts, read 10,560,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamjedlicka View Post
And a windchime!!!! Not one of those giant clangers, but a soft, musical one (I have three on my porch and I love the sound!) I very much like the idea of a birdbath, too, because I could situate it under one of the trees and watch from my space Thank you for your suggestions!

Where in Eastern Tennessee are you? (you don't have to say). I've visited the area a couple times wandering around and looking for possible retirement locations (I am in the NE). I very much liked Greenville.

How about a weathervane: https://weathervanesofmaine.com/weathervanes/. Maybe something that has a feminine touch? My wife had me put one on her greenhouse with a duck; she has ducks as pets.

Old 09-10-2018, 04:16 AM

The possibilities are endless!!!

Old 09-10-2018, 05:34 AM

2,292 posts, read 1,520,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamjedlicka View Post

Tellico Village neighborhood of Kahite which is on Tellico Lake near Vonore, Tn.

Old 09-10-2018, 08:01 AM

4,377 posts, read 1,487,020 times
How practical/impractical would it be to use an extension cord and power strips in the shed? Maybe one end could be plugged in somewhere in your garage?

You'd just have to remember to unplug when you're done using your she shed. But that way, you could have a lamp or 2, or maybe a fan.

Old 09-10-2018, 08:33 AM

13,131 posts, read 10,560,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
How practical/impractical would it be to use an extension cord and power strips in the shed? Maybe one end could be plugged in somewhere in your garage?

You'd just have to remember to unplug when you're done using your she shed. But that way, you could have a lamp or 2, or maybe a fan.

Extension cords should only be looked at as a temporary solution. They can be cut by mowers, trimmers, squirrels and chipmunks. Also many of the extension cords cannot handle the loads that might be placed on them by power tools. Many are 18 gauge wire; the better ones are 12 gauge wire with ground - but they are more expensive (they can handle more current). Leaving any plastic out, exposed to the weather, can also cause it to crack. But, if the OP just wants electricity for a project and plans on rolling it back up afterwards (like you state); they work great.

Old 09-11-2018, 11:54 AM

34,531 posts, read 42,694,765 times
Would you take a nap there, or ever use it for guest house? I can imagine grandchildren enjoying “camping” out there. If so, a daybed would be nice.

Do you grow herbs? Some hooks on the ceiling would be a good place to dry them, and would smell nice. If you don’t dare burn candles, those flameless Luninara candles give quite a bit of light.

Old 09-11-2018, 02:17 PM

5,119 posts, read 3,633,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivertowntalk View Post
Our shed and barn sometimes have snake skins inside them. Make sure you use some "Snakeaway" around the perimiter to keep the black snakes and bull snakes away. Nothing worse than waking up to a snake dangling down from above.
yikes! Are they venomous? I'm glad we don't have those around these parts. All we have are garter snakes.

Old 09-11-2018, 02:56 PM

1,782 posts, read 1,129,489 times
https://youtu.be/Ffs4gSJjjV4

I love this commercial LOLOLOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or