Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2018, 06:06 AM

9,436 posts, read 5,197,344 times

Advertisements

Okay, so my 8x14 beekeeping shed is ready for re-purposing (although God knows, I miss the bees). But I really like the idea of using this shed as a retreat space for myself (only spring through fall though because I will probably not trudge out there in 5 feet of snow, AND, it doesn't have a power source (yet).
Any of you out here done a She Shed? Ideas, suggestions? I am going to start, I think, with getting a piece of vinyl flooring to put over the shed floor, which although very nice for it's previous purpose, could use some prettying up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2018, 06:19 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
Recommendations would depend upon what you plan to do in your retreat. Read a book, crafts, gardening etc. Also, an idea of what your budget is would be important.

Old 09-08-2018, 06:41 AM

669 posts, read 581,372 times
Another dwelling to clean....meh. I think ...hot, spiders. Have fun. Potting shed...yes.

Lots of ideas on Pinterest. There is a she-Shed Facebook group too. The idea is cute but my reality say no. ( we have 3 outbuildings on our property btw.

Old 09-08-2018, 12:01 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,434,489 times
My brother-in-law transformed a large shed into a teen hangout / sleepover space. The bunk beds wouldn't apply to the OP, but adding heat / AC (not HVAC) and electricity made the space comfortable. It had an old fridge, PlayStation with chairs, and a window. It really wasn't decorated (teen boys), but it was heavily used.

Old 09-09-2018, 01:07 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,046,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamjedlicka View Post
I am going to start, I think, with getting a piece of vinyl flooring to put over the shed floor, which although very nice for it's previous purpose, could use some prettying up
What kind of wood is your shed flooring and how high/what type is your shed's foundation? If you put sheet vinyl on top of regular wood as a loose lay, it can trap moisture which will make the wood turn black and start to rot.

We had an old 8x12 shed before we replaced it this year with a new smaller one. Two years ago I had a leftover 6x8 piece of sheet vinyl from the kitchen renovation and so I decided to put it on the shed floor. It looked very nice. When we lifted it up while clearing the shed out prior to the demo, the floor under the vinyl had turned black and had lots of white mildew/mold on it because of lack of air circulation above and below. The shed floor was only about 6" above the ground.

New shed is almost 12" above the ground (on double cinderblocks), has pressure treated 2x6 joists, and marine grade plywood on the floor. But having seen what took place beneath that piece of sheet vinyl I wouldn't put that on a shed floor again.

Old 09-09-2018, 01:11 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,974,750 times
Starting with a pretty floor is a good idea, then work your way up. Sounds like fun.

Just don't let your husband in there. If he's anything like mine, the she-shed would turn into yet another tool shed.

Old 09-09-2018, 03:13 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
What kind of wood is your shed flooring and how high/what type is your shed's foundation? If you put sheet vinyl on top of regular wood as a loose lay, it can trap moisture which will make the wood turn black and start to rot.

We had an old 8x12 shed before we replaced it this year with a new smaller one. Two years ago I had a leftover 6x8 piece of sheet vinyl from the kitchen renovation and so I decided to put it on the shed floor. It looked very nice. When we lifted it up while clearing the shed out prior to the demo, the floor under the vinyl had turned black and had lots of white mildew/mold on it because of lack of air circulation above and below. The shed floor was only about 6" above the ground.

New shed is almost 12" above the ground (on double cinderblocks), has pressure treated 2x6 joists, and marine grade plywood on the floor. But having seen what took place beneath that piece of sheet vinyl I wouldn't put that on a shed floor again.

Besides from trapping moisture; wet shoes can easily slip on vinyl. I do not know how much mud is around the OP's shed; but she might want to consider outdoor carpeting that would be safer. That would also not trap as much moisture if she did not glue the whole thing down.

Old 09-09-2018, 03:31 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,381,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamjedlicka View Post
Okay, so my 8x14 beekeeping shed is ready for re-purposing (although God knows, I miss the bees). But I really like the idea of using this shed as a retreat space for myself (only spring through fall though because I will probably not trudge out there in 5 feet of snow, AND, it doesn't have a power source (yet).
Any of you out here done a She Shed? Ideas, suggestions? I am going to start, I think, with getting a piece of vinyl flooring to put over the shed floor, which although very nice for it's previous purpose, could use some prettying up
May I recommend: Paint or stain the floor.
Put a really comfy wooden rocker and a rug in front of a window for reading light.
Make sure you have cross ventilation and shade.
Have a little table for books, tea or coffee (or adult flavored cool drinks) and a fountain outside for the pleasant sound.
Have a bird bath and some feeders in view and a few window or hanging baskets of flowers and/or herbs.

Old 09-09-2018, 05:15 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
My friend named hers a 'thank-u-ary'. She meditates. .or listens to nature. It is rather peace filled.
It reminds me of the shack from the beverly hill billies . The door creeks and some little critter finds a spot to nest around it. She pretty much figures she invaded their spot....time to give back. Place some windchimes...a few lanterns..and enjoy nature.

Old 09-09-2018, 06:05 PM

1,831 posts, read 3,196,756 times
Our shed and barn sometimes have snake skins inside them. Make sure you use some "Snakeaway" around the perimiter to keep the black snakes and bull snakes away. Nothing worse than waking up to a snake dangling down from above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden