Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 09:12 AM

6,954 posts, read 11,990,093 times

Advertisements

Has anyone done this? Am wondering if it's hard to get the tree to grow after Christmas, since the ground is cold (not frozen) but maybe lack of sun would be bad. And what kind ? TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2018, 09:16 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,540,602 times
I have bought something similar to an xmas tree twice in the past. Once when my daughter was about 7 or so. It was tiny and looked like Charlie Brown's xmas tree after she decorated it. Kept it in a pot for a year so then transplanted it in my backyard. It is now over 10 ft. tall.

Old 11-09-2018, 09:49 AM

50,007 posts, read 63,335,877 times
Sure, we’ve done it and as long as you can dig the hole, the tree will be fine. If you are worried about the ground being frozen, dig the hole now. It will just remain dormant until spring.

I live in zone 8 now, and I wish I could grow pine and spruce here, but it’s too hot.

Old 11-09-2018, 09:50 AM

2,997 posts, read 1,960,873 times
We bought a blue spruce type tree a few Christmasses ago and kept it in a large pot until it needed to be planted. It's now on the side yard property line and looks nice mixed in with other trees, bushes. You probably get more freezing weather than we do in Florida so just keep it from freezing and you can plant it in spring when ground is softer. Keep it watered of course.

Old 11-09-2018, 11:12 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,114 posts, read 80,205,776 times
The problem is that evergreens will die if kept indoors too long, in fact a live Christmas tree should not be inside more than about 2-3 weeks. Since it's in a pot, there is no reason it has to go into the ground right away, you could leave it in the pot outside until spring. I have a spruce that I used as a Christmas tree at my business one year then planted outside my home right after, about 15 years ago, and it's done great since.

Old 11-09-2018, 11:56 AM

18,754 posts, read 17,977,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
The problem is that evergreens will die if kept indoors too long, in fact a live Christmas tree should not be inside more than about 2-3 weeks. Since it's in a pot, there is no reason it has to go into the ground right away, you could leave it in the pot outside until spring. I have a spruce that I used as a Christmas tree at my business one year then planted outside my home right after, about 15 years ago, and it's done great since.
One other thing homeowners should consider when buying a live tree - the weight. A six foot burlap root wrapped Xmas tree can weight up to 250 pounds. It would be a shame to spoil Xmas because of a back injury. Of course there are dollies and other tools that might help it into the house. But people should think long and hard about this much weight if they would have to go up many stairs. It would also be hard to get on and off the roof racks for people that only own cars.

Old 11-09-2018, 12:03 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,946,901 times
Keep it outside in the pot until the ground is warm enough to plant it, or dig the hole now, as someone else mentioned. That's what I would do.

I used a live Norfolk pine as a Christmas tree for many years. They can live indoors if there's enough light. Mine was underneath a skylight, grew to 12 feet or so.

Old 11-09-2018, 01:08 PM

14,653 posts, read 14,749,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
Has anyone done this? Am wondering if it's hard to get the tree to grow after Christmas, since the ground is cold (not frozen) but maybe lack of sun would be bad. And what kind ? TIA

Lots of people do it, it's a very common practice with many conservationists.

It doesn't matter if the ground outside is cold, as long as it isn't frozen. Most trees go dormant and don't grow during the winter months so you wouldn't see noticeable growth until after spring comes anyway. Right after Christmas you must put the tree outside and you're better off to have the hole dug out and ready for it in advance.

Lack of sun indoors would be bad for the live tree if it's kept indoors for more than a couple of weeks.

What kind for your location? Take your pick: Trees

Additional choices: Choosing the right tree for your yard | Prescott Valley Nursery

Old 11-09-2018, 02:33 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,508,912 times
How does the tree survive without it's root system? I assume when you're talking about buying a live tree, you're talking about buying one that you'd install in your home via Christmas tree stand, whereby it's been cut down already, and not talking about digging one out that includes the root ball system underneath?

Old 11-09-2018, 02:57 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,409,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
How does the tree survive without it's root system? I assume when you're talking about buying a live tree, you're talking about buying one that you'd install in your home via Christmas tree stand, whereby it's been cut down already, and not talking about digging one out that includes the root ball system underneath?
They would have to buy one with an intact root ball.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden