U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2018, 12:56 PM

1,311 posts, read 3,055,744 times

Advertisements

I have an apple tree, and some of the apples on the ground are rotted. They are filled with wasps or bees or possibly yellow jackets. I want to pick up these apples but I can't. Will these creatures leave if there is a sudden rain? My plan is to turn on the sprinkler from a safe distance. Then when they're gone I will pick up the apples. Will this work?
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2018, 01:53 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,389 posts, read 50,582,032 times
No, in fact if they are nesting in the apples, they will have "guards" that can attack you from afar. I have removed a few nests, one just a few weeks ago in the eaves of the house, and it's tricky. There is a spray that shoots 20+ feet, that is what you should use, it will kill them from a safe distance. Water sprayed will just make them mad at you, and they live through rain all the time. Another alternative is to fill a 5 gallon bucket about half way with hot soapy water. use a shovel to quickly pick up the apples and drop them into the bucket. Be prepared to drop it and run, though, if they attack.

Old 09-14-2018, 02:13 PM

2,093 posts, read 2,694,568 times
Chances are, if they are feeding on the fallen apples....they are yellow jackets. Wait 'till dusk when they have retreated to their burrow for the night, then collect the fruit.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 09-14-2018, 02:29 PM

I think they are actually living in the apples at night.

Old 09-14-2018, 03:49 PM

13,137 posts, read 10,568,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdcdguy View Post
I think they are actually living in the apples at night.

Generally you are 'fairly' safe just getting close enough until they fly away and picking up the fruit. I would wear leather gloves in case you don't see one on the back of the apple. But why are you picking the crushed ones off the ground; don't you have good fruit in the tree? They do make fruit pickers so you don't even have to climb for many of the fruit: https://www.staples.com/Flexrake-LRB...akamai-feo=off.

PS If I used an insecticide on the bees; I would not be quick to eat the fruit. The old apple presses were swarming with bees all over. Many of us used to take our apples to have them 'pressed' for apple juice and apple cider many years ago.

Old 09-14-2018, 05:40 PM

2,093 posts, read 2,694,568 times
Please do not use an insecticide on bees. Wasps, yellow jackets, hornets....yes, not bees. It would be highly unusual for bees to be feeding on downed apples.

Yellow Jacket

Wasp

Hornet

Bee

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 09-14-2018, 06:50 PM

This is the first year we have lived here. We had no idea the tree would produce so much fruit! And we assumed the apples wouldn't taste very good. We were wrong. Next year we will use the suggestion fisheye gave. No reason not to use these apples. Seems wasteful not to.

We waited just before dusk and picked up the apples that didn't have yellow jackets in them. The few that had them we dropped into a bucket of soapy water. All apples up.

Old 09-14-2018, 07:22 PM

51,209 posts, read 50,499,962 times
If the apples are rotted, why do you want to pick them up? Why not just let the wasps have them?

Old 09-14-2018, 08:04 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,761,042 times
Default wait untl cool off or spray 2% bleach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdcdguy View Post
I have an apple tree, and some of the apples on the ground are rotted. They are filled with wasps or bees or possibly yellow jackets. I want to pick up these apples but I can't. Will these creatures leave if there is a sudden rain? My plan is to turn on the sprinkler from a safe distance. Then when they're gone I will pick up the apples. Will this work?
During the long hot summer I sprayed 2% bleach solution lightly. Then picked up the fruit.
or if you have cool evenings where you are, pick up then.

Old 09-14-2018, 08:28 PM

6,017 posts, read 5,795,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post

......... But why are you picking the crushed ones off the ground; don't you have good fruit in the tree? ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

......... If the apples are rotted, why do you want to pick them up? Why not just let the wasps have them?

I think the OP wants to do that because otherwise it's more difficult to harvest good fruit off the tree or from the ground when you are being attacked non-stop by angry wasps who are trying to protect their rotten fruits that they've claimed on the ground. The rotten fruits need to be disposed of entirely or else moved elsewhere far enough away from the tree to discourage the wasps from hanging around the tree.

Under the same circumstances as the OP said and myself having been there and done that too, I also would be removing the rotten fruits to get them out of the way because of the danger their 'resident' wasps represent to me and other pickers. In past instances I've always collected up and put the rotten fruits onto the compost pile. Then the wasps abandon the vicinity of the tree to follow the rotten fruit away to the compost pile. It's a good compromise between wasps and human pickers, everyone gets what they want that way. And an added bonus is that drunk wasps are hilarious to watch staggering around and falling over on the compost pile after eating fermenting fruit.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or