U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 10:52 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,576,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post
Something else you may want to try at the higher elevations is what native Americans did but with slight variation to keep them in the existing pots.

Rock Terrace cultivating since you have lots of sunshine. The basic premise is to utilize the rocks ability to absorb the sun's heat along with its slow thermal dissipation even though the air temp may be cold and also capture the snow melt for the plants in the planting area for natural watering. I believe it was used more for root crops but it would be an interesting option.

Create an area about 4 x12 feet and strategically dig a a few holes about double the size of your existing potted plants. Then fill with leaves or another form of biomass, place the potted plants in then lay another thin layer of biomass, then a permeable layer of fabric (burlap etc) then cover the area all around it with about 4-6 inches of riverbed stone.
While this isn't a project for me it will likely help other readers. Gives me ideas for protecting my in-ground shrubs. Last year, their first year, I just covered them with large plastic pots. All these survived and did well this summer. The one I didn't protect but should have, was the Arctic Willow ;-(.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2018, 07:09 PM

832 posts, read 327,796 times
[quote=Townandcountrygal;53272363]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasie123 View Post
I am in the same position as you are. We have clay, hard as cement, so planting them into the ground, is out- of- the- question. I am in zone 7, lots of snow, and cold as far as 5 degrees, but mostly from 40 to 25 degrees.

Let me tell you what I am planning on doing. I have my containers sitting on hard- plastic- benches that I purchased at Wayfair, I am going to place folded burlap at the bottom, only, and around the area on the deck to protect the containers from the wind. (text deleted.....)
OTE]

Thanks for sharing! Your plan sounds more like what I'd like to try as we have "cement-hard" clay ground here, too. I'm going to do what you are saying, possibly with a couple revisions. I wasn't sure before about insulation type and bubble wrap sounds like a good idea as it is similar to what I do in early spring. A neighbor here suggested the "wall of water" plastic tubing around the plants starting in May/June to provide warmth from the sun but also protection--it worked well for the tomato plants. Let's compare notes here next year.
If you have a place in the ground where you can place them just on top, or against a wall, it may work better, because the ground will protect them more, but I do not have that option. Since I have benches on my deck, I am going to place under each plant two paper magazines to give them warmth. This I left out of my prior thread, plus the folded burlap. So, they will have burlap and magazines under the container, then wrapped in bubble-wrap, and then two garden blankets, on top.

Today I started the beginning process of wrapping them in two sheets of plastic bubble-wrap instead of one, as I had stated before. We are expecting our first freeze by November 10th on. Let's compare notes next year.........I will probably end up suffocating them.....LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or