U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2018, 11:52 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,340 posts, read 50,459,446 times

Advertisements

I'm in 8B but also at 600' elevation, and we have been down to the high 30s at night. I brought in my Meyer Lemon, Hibiscus and India Banyan bonsai this weekend. It's not just frost, but some tropicals will start to drop leaves in the low 40s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2018, 01:41 PM

9,499 posts, read 7,599,075 times
I'm doing more with my little attached greenhouse than I did with outdoor plants this year (health issues slowed me), so just have a few things to move inside: a large geranium, perhaps some impatiens that are doing well in large pots. I already got a small palm and some Christmas cacti inside.

I never got the coleus out of the little commercial pots, so could probably get them into clay pots indoors now. The greenhouse now contains mostly low-maintenance succulents plus a few self-indulgences I always wanted that are more demanding, and is looking good so far. I'll need to close up the vent in 48 hours, but it feels like summer in the Bluegrass today, and tomorrow's forecast is for more of the same hot, humid weather. Weekend highs should make it to 60, so this is it for Indian Summer, I'd predict.

Old 10-10-2018, 01:06 PM

33 posts, read 17,943 times
Thumbs up Thank you for all the excellent feedback

My thanks to everyone for sharing your experiences/ideas. After reading through the posts and witnessing the sudden change in weather that can occur, I'm going to start bringing the plants inside. Even if I am a "helicopter mom" gardener, I don't want to risk any of them getting frostbite.

Thanks again!

Old Today, 07:38 AM

9,499 posts, read 7,599,075 times
Glad I moved things inside my little attached greenhouse - it's 35 here this morning. Not much Indian summer for us here this year (it was 84 ten days ago, so the abrupt drop was a shock to both plants and people).

Now I need to get the small space heater installed in the greenhouse and toss a sheet over heavy translucent plastic over the exterior (of the single-pane glassed greenhouse, not the space heater) to help conserve heat. Time to water and sweep, and move some new things currently sitting on the stairs on down and inside, and it should be good to go. Still have some transplanting to do, but that's not urgent.

Also need to make sure everything is in its optimum place in regard to light and temperature and space requirements (some things have really taken off in the three weeks or so this project has been active), but again, not an urgent demand, just something on my to-do list.

Any other greenhouse gardeners out there? Mine is set up more like a small (70 sq. ft.) conservatory or indoor pleasure garden than working greenhouse with tables and seedlings. Could change later on, but it suits me for now and will be a great little indoor green getaway when winter really sets in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or