U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 06:54 PM

9,825 posts, read 13,910,287 times

Advertisements

Get back pack sprayer. Yes, it's awkward. Yes. But you can put 5 gallons in (yes, rated for 4, I know) and spray and spray and spray. $40 something will go years, like mine does - just used it today again - as far as you clean it after each use, retighten clamps ever so often, and do not mix moss killer and grass killer. Ooohhh, THAT is BAAAAAAD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2018, 07:21 AM

13,163 posts, read 10,580,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
I think they last longer and have/had better quality pump parts too.
But you could get a gallon sprayer like that for $10 at HD/Lowes up until about 2012.

When I started using one for car camping showers I appreciated being able to easily shorten the wand.
Fibreglass ones just crumble.

Aren't most wands just plastic now? I cannot remember a fiberglass wand; of course I never bought every sprayer available. It is possible I have one on my 15 gallon sprayer? I used to use a 15 gallon sprayer with an electric pump that I would attach to an old car battery and tow behind my lawn tractor in a cart. But I just cut down all my apple and pear trees that were infected with the fire blight. In the Spring I will replant and then I can spray again.

Old 10-19-2018, 12:13 PM

26,867 posts, read 57,900,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Aren't most wands just plastic now? I cannot remember a fiberglass wand
potayto potahtoe The point of the lament was the lack of brass and other quality innards
as the default expectation and all for relative bargain prices (like $10 for a 1gal)

Old 10-20-2018, 05:15 AM

13,163 posts, read 10,580,292 times
Quote:
potayto potahtoe The point of the lament was the lack of brass and other quality innards
as the default expectation and all for relative bargain prices (like $10 for a 1gal)
Sprayers are not the only place where brass disappeared. Just look at all the hoses made today! If you forget to use an anti-seize lubricant when you screw them on; you might not be able to get them off! Then it gets harder and harder to find one good brass spray nozzle for that hose.

Because I have the larger sprayer; I like the cheap 1gal sprayer for the smaller jobs. You cannot go too wrong for $10. They are light weight and great for the few rose bushes with beetles or spraying just a few tomatoes.

One of the biggest problems with any of these sprayers is not emptying the sprayer when finished - I am guilty of that. If the insecticide or whatever you use, dries up in the bottom of the sprayer, chunks can get lodged in the nozzle. You clean out one hard piece and next gets stuck and that can get frustrating. Plus it is hard to clean out the bottom of these sprayers when you cannot get your hand in the hole. It is so much easier to rinse them out when done the first time you use them. After you rinse them out you might even want to slightly pressurize it and blow out the nozzle and wand.

Old 10-20-2018, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
One of the biggest problems with any of these sprayers is not emptying the sprayer when finished
shhh! we aren't allowed to admit culpability when complaining about things

Old 10-20-2018, 08:48 PM

1,691 posts, read 668,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tramp View Post
I have an old gallon pump sprayer that I want to start using. I don't remember what was in it but it does not smell too good. Maybe grass poison. What can I used to clean it out? I will need to replace the hose and it has no nozzle. What could I replace the hose with. Any suggestions?
They’re so inexspensive just buy a new one. I’ve got three of them, one for bug spray, one for spraying a bleach cleaning solution for the lanai, and one for the dreaded Roundup.

Old 10-25-2018, 05:29 AM

4,083 posts, read 1,469,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tramp View Post
I have an old gallon pump sprayer that I want to start using. I don't remember what was in it but it does not smell too good. Maybe grass poison. What can I used to clean it out? I will need to replace the hose and it has no nozzle. What could I replace the hose with. Any suggestions?
Buy a new plastic sprayer, get the best one you can find, not the cheapest. They will last 5 years or so, then pitch it and buy a new one. As long as you don't let product get dried out in them they will probably last even longer.

Old Today, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
Buy a new plastic sprayer, get the best one you can find...
Can you name a specific brand or two; maybe a model #? ...
and of course some idea of what the best one(s) will cost?

When I google that phrase I get a 2gal pump sprayer for $35us. That's high... isn't it?
It doesn't look materially different than the problematic HD/Lowes $20 sprayer choices.

Old Today, 08:31 PM

13,507 posts, read 29,454,867 times
Quote:
Can you name a specific brand or two; maybe a model #? ...
and of course some idea of what the best one(s) will cost?

When I google that phrase I get a 2gal pump sprayer for $35us. That's high... isn't it?
It doesn't look materially different than the problematic HD/Lowes $20 sprayer choices.
I have this Chapin model 27020 and I love it...
https://www.amazon.com/Chapin-27020-.../dp/B000E2D3J4

However I also have this Chapin Premier and I hate it, so it varies a lot even within the same brand.
https://www.amazon.com/Chapin-21220X...XHQ7DCC93W401S
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden