Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2021, 02:58 PM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times

Advertisements

Battery Mowers. My thoughts

Pros:
Early morning or late evening mows without annoying neighbors (quiet)
No maintenance, except blade sharpening
Easy to start

Cons:
Doesn't cut long grass well (not a lot of suction like gas powered)
Not good for large lawns
Cant mow when wet / have to worry about a drizzle
Doesn't come in different price ranges
Battery. No matter how long it lasts or how many you have, charging a battery is a joke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2021, 06:25 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
This is my experience with my brand new Hart 16in 20v battery lawnmower. The lawnmower cuts very well but the battery only has 10 to 12 minutes and the lawnmower stops dead. I notice at about 8 minutes The sound of the mower is suddenly quieter. I assume that is my signal not much time left. So when it stops running I put in the other battery. Then it's the same exact scenario. I guess with this mower it will take me 3 days to finish the yard. No wonder Hart provides 2 batteries. So I'm getting about 22 minutes total using 2 fully charged batteries. Batteries that have been charged 3 hours before the grass cutting. I only put the battery in when I'm ready to start it. Am I doing something wrong? How can 2 batteries have such a short charge?

So I hate the mower. I'm sorry I threw out the box or I'd return it to Walmart. I had no idea this is how it is with battery lawnmowers. Who would want to deal with cutting grass like this?
You might not need the box if you still have the receipt. Call up that Walmart and ask them. Tell them that it doesn't do what you expected it to do. Let us know how you make out.

Old 04-07-2021, 08:04 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I have an old push type gas mower that is not self propelled and hard for me to push so I bought a Ryobi electric (battery) mower over the weekend that is self propelled. I love it because it's easy to start, lightweight and pretty quiet compared to a gas mower. However the battery only lasts 38 minutes and I only got half the backyard done Tuesday before it had to be recharged for hours. Now my son finished the back yard yesterday and when he was done he still had 3 bars left. (My yard is 80x125', less to mow when you consider the house and driveway).

Granted he is 6'4" to my 5'1" so he walks faster and has a longer stride but it seemed like he was out there about 20 minutes. I don't want to spend another $100-$150 for a second battery & charger when the mower was $400. I also don't want the lawn mowing to become a 3-4 day event because the battery keeps dying.

What has been everyone experiences with these types of mowers? Do you like it? Hate it?

P.S. - Should the battery lose any of its charge overnight? I charged it fully and then unplugged it last night when it was done. Plugged it in this morning to see if it lost any charge and it has lost 1 bar. The battery is a 40 Volt Lithium and has a 5Ah on it. Wondering if I just got a defective battery or is this the norm?
What I like is that I do not have to pull the rope to start, which I had lots of trouble with.

Old 04-08-2021, 10:41 AM

220 posts, read 469,706 times
We have an Ego and I love it. New last year. Our property is an acre, with house, shed, driveway, etc., it's not all lawn, but it's still a lot of lawn. It takes me over an hour to do the whole thing, although granted I'm slow. I usually have 20-40% power left after that hour. I think the technology has made huge strides recently, hence the long battery life.

The only negative is that sometimes it doesn't suck up long grass quite as well, but given the long list of positives, it's fine.

I would never go back to gas. Mowing is now quiet, clean, and pleasant. Wasn't particularly cheap, but knowing what I know now, I would even pay more. Absolute game changer...I love that mower!

Old 04-08-2021, 11:05 AM

6,356 posts, read 4,173,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Had my Ego for a year and it has been rock solid for FL mowing.
I agree and believe that EGO battery powered products are about the best.

Old 04-08-2021, 11:48 AM

24,476 posts, read 10,804,014 times
We handled 1/2 acre+ with a RoboMow. Named it Froggie. It chattered, cut the grass twice a week if it needed it or not, entertained the cats and went to his docking station. It stayed behind

Old 04-08-2021, 01:24 PM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
I've had a Black and Decker for the past, I don't know, seven or eight years, maybe? It takes me just over an hour to mow my lawn. If the grass is dry and not too horribly long, I can do it on one battery charge. Otherwise, I need two batteries. And so, I have two batteries, and I keep them both charged. I don't think I've ever had a situation where I couldn't finish the entire yard in one fell swoop, between the two batteries.

I will never, ever go back to gas. The mess, the fumes, the maintenance, the noise, the yanking on the cord . . . no more of any of that. Whenever my current machine conks out, I've got my eye on an Ego.

Old 04-09-2021, 06:01 AM

10,089 posts, read 6,420,662 times
I've had a Neuton mower since they were the only battery mower on the market. I've had to get several new batteries over the years (I think I've had it well over 15 years or more now), but the mower is the same one. Last night I cut most of the lawn on one charge and I was mowing for over an hour. I should have had the other battery charged and ready, but I was tired out anyway. I've definitely gotten my money's worth out of this mower, that's for sure.

Old 04-09-2021, 06:34 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krdpm View Post
We have an Ego and I love it. New last year. Our property is an acre, with house, shed, driveway, etc., it's not all lawn, but it's still a lot of lawn. It takes me over an hour to do the whole thing, although granted I'm slow. I usually have 20-40% power left after that hour. I think the technology has made huge strides recently, hence the long battery life.

The only negative is that sometimes it doesn't suck up long grass quite as well, but given the long list of positives, it's fine.

I would never go back to gas. Mowing is now quiet, clean, and pleasant. Wasn't particularly cheap, but knowing what I know now, I would even pay more. Absolute game changer...I love that mower!
My EGO occasionally runs down before I finish if I do the front and back yard, but usually it makes it through the front yard if I am not cutting it really short. I just got a hedge trimmer and apparently all batteries can be used for all devices, so I am hoping that now I can just pop the smaller battery in once the big one dies. Thankfully, the big battery only takes about 45 minutes to charge.

Old 04-09-2021, 07:19 AM

9,521 posts, read 16,503,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
You might not need the box if you still have the receipt. Call up that Walmart and ask them. Tell them that it doesn't do what you expected it to do. Let us know how you make out.
I ended up giving this lawn mower to a neighbour that has a small yard. I'm going to use his gas lawn mower until I figure out what to buy. I like the battery concept but after my experience with the Hart battery one. Its understandable I'm Leary of the operating time with the batteries. Otherwise I was impressed with the Lawnmowers operation. I didn't want to deal with Walmart as I didn't have the receipt or the box it came in.

So my advice with battery lawnmowers. Do a complete research on these mowers. Read reviews on them. Do not go by what the box says. The one I had said 40 minutes and I got 20 minutes total of time with the 2 batteries. Completely misleading advertisment by Hart. Actually a complete lie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden