U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2018, 05:49 AM

70,614 posts, read 81,698,325 times

Advertisements

Just got a starter kit of basil for Christmas in my stoking. Of course it is too soon to do much with it, but it got the old brain working. Now I am thinking about spring, what we will plant this season and how early I want to start plants seeds inside. We are going to be out of the area from the 5th to the 17th of Feb so will probably wait until we get back to start our seeds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2018, 02:28 PM

20,523 posts, read 13,472,590 times
I am overwintering geraniums. I have three scented leaf varieties, and one fancy leafed one. This is the latter’s second year everwintering under shelter on my back porch. The other three are in my garage.

I found another fancy leaved one that I want! It is Black Velvet Scarlet. I found it in the Selected Seeds catalog I got yesterday. My scented leaf geraniums were found at my local Farmer’s Market. I love having these in pots all growing season. They have interesting and scented foliage. There is something about them I that really love.

But the fancy leaved varieties are so striking and handsome.

I also keep mint in a pot during the sumner.

Old 01-06-2019, 07:15 AM

36,167 posts, read 44,322,174 times
I had great luck last year with an ornamental grass, for height, and geraniums, in the two urns on the front porch. It gets morning sun, and is part shaded by a Japanese maple. I might squeeze in some petunias or sweet potato vine this year. Only 2 months to wait here.

Old 01-22-2019, 07:19 PM

1,814 posts, read 2,669,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Well it seems a bit early to be think 2019, but when I took out all the plants from this year I did make a mental note as to what I would do next year. I am talking mostly veggies, not flowers. Those I do the same every year. I know I am totally giving up on squash. I just can't seem to get it right. When we lived in Texas, Va dn NM I couldn't give it away fast enough. Now one thing on top of another. Good bye squash. I will do more tomatoes next year and stake them better. That is about as far as I have gotten with my planning.
I'm in Texas now. This will be my first season of planting a container garden here. What kind of squash did you use? When do they start planting vegetable gardens here??

Old 01-22-2019, 07:37 PM

17,714 posts, read 21,872,722 times
I'm in zone 8b in Silicon Valley, CA, so we don't get much of a real winter here. On my balcony right now (my only outside gardening space now) is a dormant crepe myrtle tree, coleus that actually looks amazing that I grew from seed last year - I had no idea it would over-winter, a lemon-scented geranium, some snow peas, an aptenia plant that's doing okay, and my freesia corms have sprouted like mad and are putting out flower spikes, and I have an ivy in a hanging pot.

Indoors I have basil that is the gift that keeps on giving me pesto, and cilantro and some other greens - these are in two large totes under grow lights indoors.

I'll start tomato plants in about a month for the balcony.

Old 01-23-2019, 04:09 PM

36,167 posts, read 44,322,174 times
I was pleased with geraniums last year, with an ornamental grass. This year, Iíll add something else into the mix.

Old 02-19-2019, 01:16 PM

31 posts, read 36,572 times
Hi all, I've got a question about growing Sweet Basil indoors. I bought a nice, healthy looking sweet basil plant at my local Walmart, bought a new container, new potting soil, put a spoonful of plant food in the soil (per the Miracle-Gro instructions) moistened the soil, planted the basil and a week later, my little basil plant had shriveled up and most of it died, I was able to save a single sprig, which I just plopped into some water; I want to see if it will root, so I can try again. Is basil difficult to grow or did I just get ahold of a sick plant? I have it inside, under some grow lights, (I'm in an apartment that does not have a nice sunny kitchen window, a situation we're planning to rectify very soon as we'll be moving later this year) What am I doing wrong? Any ideas? Thanks so much One more thing, I live in Southeast Texas (Beaumont), not sure of the growing/gardening zone...

Old 02-21-2019, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarragon View Post
I'm in Texas now. This will be my first season of planting a container garden here. What kind of squash did you use? When do they start planting vegetable gardens here??
Hope you like living in Texas. We were there for 13 years. As for squash, we have tried and zucchini, and yellow plus a few time patty pans. In NM the squash bugs stayed away until Aug and by then we were squashed out. Here it seems we start seeing them as early as early July. No matter how had I try they still win the fight. Now as for timing, it is colder here than in Texas. Depending on where you live in Texas you can start thinking container gardening in about 4 or 5 more weeks. Here it will have to be closer to mid April. Still not far away. My how times goes by as we get a bit past our prime.

Old 02-21-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4EVCali View Post
Hi all, I've got a question about growing Sweet Basil indoors. I bought a nice, healthy looking sweet basil plant at my local Walmart, bought a new container, new potting soil, put a spoonful of plant food in the soil (per the Miracle-Gro instructions) moistened the soil, planted the basil and a week later, my little basil plant had shriveled up and most of it died, I was able to save a single sprig, which I just plopped into some water; I want to see if it will root, so I can try again. Is basil difficult to grow or did I just get ahold of a sick plant? I have it inside, under some grow lights, (I'm in an apartment that does not have a nice sunny kitchen window, a situation we're planning to rectify very soon as we'll be moving later this year) What am I doing wrong? Any ideas? Thanks so much One more thing, I live in Southeast Texas (Beaumont), not sure of the growing/gardening zone...
Can't advise about growing season in your part of Texas but am surprised about you basil indoors. Usaually it does pretty well. In fact we grow it without even adding any kind of plant food.

Old 02-21-2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4EVCali View Post
Can't advise about growing season in your part of Texas but am surprised about you basil indoors. Usually it does pretty well. In fact we grow it without even adding any kind of plant food. It does need a lot of sunshine to thrive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden