U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2018, 05:50 AM

570 posts, read 158,848 times

Advertisements

I critique and write down what I would plant the next season and what I would not plant. I added vine petunias to my containers in 2018 ...I will likely stay with the traditional petunia plantings. Coleus is a YES! Potato vines WILL be addd to my containers. Pretty!

So...what will you plant for 2019?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2018, 06:14 AM

70,073 posts, read 80,711,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgaltoo View Post
I critique and write down what I would plant the next season and what I would not plant. I added vine petunias to my containers in 2018 ...I will likely stay with the traditional petunia plantings. Coleus is a YES! Potato vines WILL be addd to my containers. Pretty!

So...what will you plant for 2019?
Well it seems a bit early to be think 2019, but when I took out all the plants from this year I did make a mental note as to what I would do next year. I am talking mostly veggies, not flowers. Those I do the same every year. I know I am totally giving up on squash. I just can't seem to get it right. When we lived in Texas, Va dn NM I couldn't give it away fast enough. Now one thing on top of another. Good bye squash. I will do more tomatoes next year and stake them better. That is about as far as I have gotten with my planning.

Old 10-13-2018, 11:38 AM

5,186 posts, read 4,814,298 times
I have some container roses and hydrangea that I overwintered last year. I'm going to hold off on adding perennials since I will be moving from Zone 6 to Zone 7. I enjoy roses and hydrangeas in containers. For some reason this year my hydrangeas had powdery mildew. After treatment, it would come back. I have an orange and lemon tree in containers. They are still young so I will keep them indoors until spring. I enjoy when they flower in winter.

Old 10-13-2018, 02:14 PM

1,564 posts, read 759,800 times
I enjoyed my geranium Rozanne in pots this last season. One can easily fill a large pot. They bloom like crazy all summer in a beautiful blue color, while enthusiastically sprawling out of their pots. I trimmed their exuberant selves back at the end of the summer so they're all neat and tidy again, and now they're blooming like crazy once more in the middle of October.

I'd love to let them sprawl freely planted in the ground, but my husband likes tidiness in flowers, so I've confined them to large pots, and I'll plant more of them next year in my container garden.

Old 10-13-2018, 04:08 PM

18,462 posts, read 17,638,062 times
Moved to an apartment and can't find the fixtures for holding the planters over the rail of the balcony. I did find one at Home Depot but it had this straw stuff in it and didn't work very well for me. I added soil and plants but when I watered them, the water went right though.

OK. NEXT year, I will buy another one of those same things and throw the straw stuff away. I'll just put my own planters in, add soil, and will fill them with nasturtium seeds. I'm going to get a few hangers that hold regular round flower pots and those will have colorful petunias.

My tomato plant (1) will go in a large pot out on the ground near the front door. Beets will probably go in a RubberMaid type storage container in the balcony. They need depth. But I've never had luck growing beets in a container.

Old 10-13-2018, 04:49 PM

1,224 posts, read 878,393 times
I'm a container gardener in zone 9, and I was suprized how many of my plants overwinter and produce fruit even in winter.

If you get deep into the specialized seed catalogs, I have found bush-like rather than vine hybrids (still non-GMO) for squash, eggplant, cantaloupe, and red potatoes. (I just ate my potato harvest last night).

I bought some cold-weather hybrid seeds for artichoke, kale & spinach I plan to start soon.

I just do this for fun, I enjoy seeing the odd honeybee & ladybug, and a grasshopper "lives" in my tomato container, though a marauding rabbit found my eggplant & squash plants a couple months ago and I was horrified he ate the squash down to a stump. However, the will-to-live in this squash is so strong, it grew back with a VENGENCE and now I have a habit 18w x 12h with more yellow flowers than I can count.

There are alot of videos on youtube of folks who have bizarre and intricate setups for hydroponic & indoor & self-watering systems. I thought that "container gardening" would be a stepdown from my former houses' backyard, but if your zone supports it - it can be a yearlong hobby. If not, basil grows just fine in a red solo cup in the window sill. Just cut a couple notches in the bottom

example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3WZgY-2oew

Old 10-14-2018, 12:48 PM

2,838 posts, read 1,066,430 times
Bulbs with ornamental grass. Fills the container, looks beautiful in a breeze, and as long as the grass is not too tall for your flowers, they look like a big bouquet.

Old 10-14-2018, 12:52 PM

29,624 posts, read 2,363,682 times
We are keeping it simple, Just planted many tulips, daffodils & crocus, so Spring should be pretty.
I get the berbs fresh every spring. I have failed the past two summers with tomatoes, but I will try again next year.

Old 10-14-2018, 12:58 PM

1,564 posts, read 759,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
Bulbs with ornamental grass. Fills the container, looks beautiful in a breeze, and as long as the grass is not too tall for your flowers, they look like a big bouquet.

Thanks for this idea. I love grasses and never once thought of putting them in a container.

Old 12-22-2018, 10:19 PM

1,224 posts, read 878,393 times
update on my own posting:
my squash plant got a HUGE white fly infestation. I read about organic pesticides, so I bought some "neem oil". Read the directions, sprayed the plant.

3 days later, the whole plant turned brown and died. Oops.

better luck next spring!
Tomatoes and bell peppers (outdoor) and basil (window sill) struggle onward, producing much even in December.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden