U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Today, 04:49 AM

13,132 posts, read 10,568,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
I'm retired from the state highway department and, at one time, had dump truck load of mulch from the chippers working trees torn down by tornadoes. Everybody told me I would have problems with bugs from all that mulch but never had any problem at all.
And, if you like to fish, that compost pile of much was a great place to find fishing worms!
Here in the Northeast we have lots of fruit trees with the fireblight: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_blight. Its contagious. I just cut down my small orchard that was affected. If I had chipped my limbs and gave the chips to somebody that had fruit trees; I could infect their trees.

Normally the state DOT does not chip fruit trees or come across trees infected with the fireblight. But with all of the invasive pest it would still be possible to spread some of the other diseases. You would not want to surround a hemlock with chips from another hemlock that was infected with the woolly adelgid or an ash tree with chips that contained the emerald ash borer.

On the other hand there is probably nothing wrong with the man in the YouTube video composting directly in his garden. Most garden plants are not affected by the tree diseases. In the YouTube video he had been using them for many years without problems. For our trees I think it might better to compost for a few years and then use the wood chips. That would be playing it 'safe'. And, yes, those chip compost piles are loaded with worms!
Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden