U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 04:54 PM

20,999 posts, read 25,750,723 times

Advertisements

That's a lot of azaleas. That's going to be a very expensive loss if you lose them all. If they make it, your driveway is going to look spectacular and not require a huge amount of constant trimming. If they all bloom in the spring, pleases share a photo.

I've never tried to grow aazaleas in a colder area, but they look ok to me. Did no one look up their care and weather requirements before buying them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2018, 05:38 PM

2,740 posts, read 6,982,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i really like a nice open expanse of grass and minimal other stuff. my wife likes a really structured and manicured landscape. i looked deep into my heart and out of an abundance of charity decided to let my wife tell the landscaper to put these in. she would like a perfect row of something that is carved like a wall. thats not really my preference. so i guess its a compromise that we are both happy with.

thanks for the suggestion.
Those azaleas look like ours in the fall.
We always fertilize them in Fall (right now) and Spring with a product called Holly Tone, available at HD.

Fertilize them and leave them alone over the winter. They should be fine.

Old 10-25-2018, 07:23 PM

6,015 posts, read 5,795,124 times
Quote:

she pointed out to me two other plants that she believes are azaleas ...... we didnt plant them so they were there for years.
Those two rounded shrubs by the stairs? They look like they might be evergreen azaleas. Did they have flowers on them last spring?

Old 10-26-2018, 07:40 AM

34,538 posts, read 42,708,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy View Post
They look pretty nice, the leaves are pinkish. Are you sure the sold you Azaleas and not something else? It looks like an invasive plant we have here in Austin, cannot think of its name.
It looks like nandina, but Iím sure he knew what he was buying.

Old 10-26-2018, 07:58 AM

22,673 posts, read 28,559,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
It looks like nandina, but I’m sure he knew what he was buying.
i know that my wife said what she wanted to the landscaper and what he called the product (in writing). i didnt pick it up myself from the nursery or follow up further to make sure that i had the right thing. it seemed unlikely at the time that the landscaper would give me something other than what he said. at this point, im not really thinking that it doesnt at least fall under the words "pink azaleas" but i cant back it up.

i believe the ones by the stairs had white flowers last spring but im not 100% sure.

as far as looking up care and weather; at that point i just wanted a landscaper to handle that. the guy who installed it was also supposed to be the guy for ongoing maintenance but that relationship ended quicker than i expected. he has a decent enough reputation that i wouldnt think that he would put in something that wasnt appropriate for the climate.

Last edited by CaptainNJ; 10-26-2018 at 08:56 AM..

Old 10-26-2018, 08:55 AM

34,538 posts, read 42,708,506 times
It can’t be nandina, because NJ is too far north, so I’m sure you couldn’t even buy it there.

Old 10-26-2018, 09:08 AM

i moved to this house in june 2016. we have been non-stop doing some kind of home improvement since we closed 12/2016. it was a short sale so i got a great deal and expected to be putting some money in. one good thing was that the house was mostly done and the things ive done are not fixing stuff but adding stuff that i like.

prior to this, i lived 7 years in a community where the HOA would take care of landscaping, so ive never done it before. so im learning. i dont mind it. im going to try to drop the truegreen people and do that myself. its so annoying having to call 5 times for every visit.

Old 10-26-2018, 11:08 AM

4,755 posts, read 8,381,946 times
Quote:
i really like a nice open expanse of grass and minimal other stuff. my wife likes a really structured and manicured landscape. i looked deep into my heart and out of an abundance of charity decided to let my wife tell the landscaper to put these in. she would like a perfect row of something that is carved like a wall. thats not really my preference. so i guess its a compromise that we are both happy with.

thanks for the suggestion.
Correction: I decided to allow my wife tell the landscaper to put these in.

LOL - just stirring the pot

:...looking for popcorns...:

Old 10-26-2018, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Correction: I decided to allow my wife tell the landscaper to put these in.

LOL - just stirring the pot

:...looking for popcorns...:
oh darn, thanks a lot for the correction!

Old 10-26-2018, 03:58 PM

273 posts, read 351,682 times
The fact that ALL of your driveway azaleas look the same bodes well for them being okay. I mean... had you planted the same type, and half of them are green and half are turning colors then you would have more reasons to be worried.

Just my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden