Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2018, 08:46 PM

14,723 posts, read 14,885,577 times

Advertisements

They all appear to be bronzing uniformly and there doesn't seem to be a lot of leaf loss that I'd expect if there was something wrong with them. They look okay to me, I think they are just changing colour for the season in your location. There are several varieties of azaleas that change colours in autumn. The leaves on my purple azaleas turn bronze and red in autumn. I have a white one whose leaves turn yellow and a pink and white one that gets yellow and burgundy leaves in autumn.

Here is a website with a list and photos of different kinds of azaleas that change colours in autumn. Maybe you can find your own variety there: https://www.gardenia.net/guide/Azale...ve-Fall-Colors.

A word of advice for your future gardening endeavours - Next time you and your wife choose a big selection like that of plants for your landscaping you should do it together so you're both in agreement and on the same page with each other from the get go. Then there will be no regrets with each other's choices. And both of you remember to research exactly what species of plants you're getting before you buy them so you know what to expect from them and don't have any costly surprises later.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2018, 05:13 AM

631 posts, read 558,419 times
Azaleas love water, as long as the soil is well drained. From the photos you posted, your azaleas look well drained... as there is a slope for excess water to escape down.

Also from the photos, my hunch is you have deciduous azaleas. Evergreen azaleas have small leaves. I live in USDA horticultural zone 7a (metro DC) and have the evergreen and deciduous types. In severe winters the evergreens have lost some of their leaves, but they come back. The deciduous type always comes back. They are much hardier... the neighbors had beautiful ones in Maine years back.

Old 10-25-2018, 08:49 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,580,083 times
ok, so i have stopped watering and will ask my mother in law to pray for our azaleas. i let my wife choose them because they were important to her, not so much to me (i thought). she wanted something that flowered. i did worry that they will look great for a brief period, leave a big mess and then not look so great the rest of the year. but she wanted flowers so im ok with it. if they die though, then there will be real regret.

she pointed out to me two other plants that she believes are azaleas that are healthier looking. however, we didnt plant them so they were there for years. maybe because they are more established they will take longer to lose the color.

we have some other green plants that we added to fill in what was already there, probably should have just used them down the driveway.

Old 10-25-2018, 09:16 AM

18,948 posts, read 43,421,357 times
I think you have deciduous type azaleas along your driveway. They are probably just shedding their leaves because it’s fall.

Old 10-25-2018, 10:31 AM

14,723 posts, read 14,885,577 times
I sure do like the brick work in your driveway. It looks grand.

Old 10-25-2018, 11:36 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,961,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i let my wife choose them

It was so kind of you to let your wife plant something in her own yard.

Old 10-25-2018, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
It was so kind of you to let your wife plant something in her own yard.
are you getting personal satisfaction out of this silly little nitpicking of my words? im not going to explain it because your comment isnt rational.

Old 10-25-2018, 12:19 PM

9,257 posts, read 14,834,877 times
I think they'll be fine. They turn colors and lose their leaves in the Fall.

No offense, but I notice that you tend to line your plants up in a soldierlike row- at least that's what your pictures show. Best practice is to use a more natural planting scheme- like staggering them and using more wavy lines and planting several deep (behind each other).

So, if the long line of no azalea for the winter bothers you, perhaps consider enlarging that planting edge and backing them up with some sort of short evergreen. Looks like you've got plenty of grass to do so.

I love azalea flowers too!

Old 10-25-2018, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
I think they'll be fine. They turn colors and lose their leaves in the Fall.

No offense, but I notice that you tend to line your plants up in a soldierlike row- at least that's what your pictures show. Best practice is to use a more natural planting scheme- like staggering them and using more wavy lines and planting several deep (behind each other).

So, if the long line of no azalea for the winter bothers you, perhaps consider enlarging that planting edge and backing them up with some sort of short evergreen. Looks like you've got plenty of grass to do so.

I love azalea flowers too!
i really like a nice open expanse of grass and minimal other stuff. my wife likes a really structured and manicured landscape. i looked deep into my heart and out of an abundance of charity decided to let my wife tell the landscaper to put these in. she would like a perfect row of something that is carved like a wall. thats not really my preference. so i guess its a compromise that we are both happy with.

thanks for the suggestion.

Old 10-25-2018, 04:05 PM

1,456 posts, read 1,503,986 times
They look pretty nice, the leaves are pinkish. Are you sure the sold you Azaleas and not something else? It looks like an invasive plant we have here in Austin, cannot think of its name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden