U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2018, 12:45 PM

4,773 posts, read 8,406,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I give up growing carrots, I used to grow lots of them. But we eat like 6lbs every week, I won’t be able to keep up. But I now grow beet roots instead. I have green beans because they are much fresher than store bought.
Love the idea of planting red beets and long bean.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2018, 01:18 PM

2,643 posts, read 1,134,478 times
Strawberries and tomatoes. Because in the store they are tasteless.

I second sugar snaps and green beans for freshness, or picking them smaller. Sweet corn is always a treat, fresh from the garden; though store-bought has actually gotten better the past few years.

I'm growing pickling cucumbers on my condo balcony and shocked they are successful from a pot, on the equator (U.S. seeds), in the salt air. Bread n butter refrigerator pickles are fantastic (we have no pickles here).

Old 11-05-2018, 03:40 PM

826 posts, read 188,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post

I second sugar snaps and green beans for freshness, or picking them smaller. Sweet corn is always a treat, fresh from the garden; though store-bought has actually gotten better the past few years.

I'm growing pickling cucumbers on my condo balcony and shocked they are successful from a pot, on the equator (U.S. seeds), in the salt air. Bread n butter refrigerator pickles are fantastic (we have no pickles here).
Good grief!
I'd be growing & making my own too.

Old 11-05-2018, 07:31 PM

2,130 posts, read 809,137 times
Go to a supermarket and cruise the produce aisles. Make a list and prices and have your wife help you decide.

Old 11-05-2018, 09:40 PM

9,628 posts, read 4,813,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post

I’ve ordered 75 strawberry plants(free that’s why so many), maybe I will get some fresh strawberries. But I’ve grown corn sucessfullly, one time I picked 80 corns, to many to eat at once. But this summer, I managed to grow one corn in one plant, amazing, the corn is very even, no missing row.

Old 11-05-2018, 09:45 PM

9,628 posts, read 4,813,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
I LOVE YOUR LIST!!

Yup, wife uses lemongrass for cooking so that’s on the list. Dill, garlics, swiss chards, tumerics, and ginger are all contenders. LOVE the idea of fruit trees, already got a peach from previous home owner but do like blueberry and had them in my old house.

I placed straws all along the wall. That’s approximately 50’ X 70’ L-shape with a 6’ wide bed. My plan is to plant fruit trees every 15 ft or so but in between it makes a natural “raised bed”. It greatly increases the choices for planting.
With Lemon grass, you have to split the root every year, otherwise, it might die. I also grow turmeric, ginger, chives, garlics, oregano, thymes, rosamary. I have a small yard, but maximize my planting, so I have about 20-50 fruit trees. I also espalier Apple and pear trees around the fence.

Old 11-05-2018, 10:37 PM

16,868 posts, read 20,720,341 times
I'd add lemon cucumbers, which you can only find at farmers markets. They're easy to grow and will ripen even in short seasons. I used to grow them in WA in the mountains, with a really short season. You can eat the skins, so no need to peel. Really yummy, and something you can't find in stores.

I'd also grow some yellow pear-shaped cherry tomatoes, which you never find in stores, but are so yummy.

Fresh basil and cilantro, if you use it a lot, and want to have an organic option.

By the way, I don't know if you have space indoors, but I have two large Rubbermaid totes indoors under grow lights that I'm growing basil and some bok choy (Chinese cabbage) and cilantro right now. You can use really cheap grow lights, if you just grow greens under them (and not a more demanding plant that is forming fruit, like tomatoes or peppers, etc.)

I just got a cheap fluorescent shop light from Home Depot and use GE daylight bulbs - 2 lights over a large tote. Total cost of light plus bulbs (T-8 bulbs) was about $25 each.

I have a constant indoor supply of fresh, organic basil. I've also been cutting fresh Chinese cabbage leaves for soup that are also organic. I just started some organic cilantro.

So, you don't really need to wait until next season to grow simple greens, if you can find space. My totes with grow lights are on a dresser and on a shelving unit. Nothing fancy required.

Old 11-06-2018, 08:57 AM

4,773 posts, read 8,406,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
With Lemon grass, you have to split the root every year, otherwise, it might die. I also grow turmeric, ginger, chives, garlics, oregano, thymes, rosamary. I have a small yard, but maximize my planting, so I have about 20-50 fruit trees. I also espalier Apple and pear trees around the fence.
I planted Lemongrass at my old place. They grew over 6 feet tall. When is a good time to harvest them without being old & stalky?

Old 11-06-2018, 12:52 PM

21,065 posts, read 25,948,687 times
I grow three different types of food plants.

Those that are expensive to buy and that I would like to eat a lot of, sugar snow peas ( edible pod Chinese peas), asparagus, rhubarb, a variety of melons,

Vegies that are hard to find like Patty pan squash and Armenian melons ( painted serpent),

Things that taste much better home grown like tomatoes. If your weather will allow sweet corn, get the water boiling before you pick the corn, then straight into the pot.

Things that are relatively inexpensive and don't taste hugely different, I don't take up space with, like zuchinni.

Last edited by oregonwoodsmoke; 11-06-2018 at 01:23 PM..

Old 11-06-2018, 01:13 PM

21,065 posts, read 25,948,687 times
A bit of warning, though. If you grow your own Vegies and fruit, you can ruin your taste for store bought.

My family loves asparagus, so I planted 100 plants. ( I highly recomend the purple passion asparagus from Nourse Farms). We feasted every spring.

Except, we have moved. I bought asparagus from the store and it is so different in flavor, we didn't finish eating it. Asparagus has been ruined for us until I can get more planted. Store bought is awful when you are accustomed to fresh home grown.

Store bought tomatoes are inedible if you are accustomed to home grown.

Last edited by oregonwoodsmoke; 11-06-2018 at 01:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or