U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2018, 01:54 PM

1,185 posts, read 691,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
A bit of warning, though. If you grow your own Vegies and fruit, you can ruin your taste for store bought.

My family loves asparagus, so I planted 100 plants. ( I highly recomend the purple passion asparagus from Nourse Farms). We feasted every spring.

Except, we have moved. I bought asparagus from the store and it is so different in flavor, we didn't finish eating it. Asparagus has been ruined for us until I can get more planted. Store bought is awful when you are accustomed to fresh home grown.

Store bought tomatoes are inedible if you are accustomed to home grown.
Yes, I agree about both. I think just about any produce item you can grow yourself is tastier because it is fresher. We bought 100 bare root plants 2 years ago and planted them in raised beds with lots of organic matter. Wow, I was giving it away this year.

Tomatoes we have to grow in the greenhouse due to end blossom rot here in the damp PNW.
Asparagus has a long season, too. And, it’s perennial so you dong have to replant every year. Make sure you get the correct cultivation information for your climate.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2018, 02:17 PM

9,628 posts, read 4,813,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
I planted Lemongrass at my old place. They grew over 6 feet tall. When is a good time to harvest them without being old & stalky?
I just harvested mine and split the root in half. I think any time is a good time where I am anyway, not sure about you. Then I replanted them in the same spot with half or 1/4 or the original root.

Old 11-08-2018, 09:44 PM

21,065 posts, read 25,948,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xPlorer48 View Post
........... Wow, I was giving it away this year. ..........
I would freeze my excess asparagus. Cut into 1 inch pieces. Quickly blanch, plunge into cold water to stop the cooking. Freeze and then use all winter to add to stir fry. It's not fresh asparagus, but it is still pretty darn good.

I used the vacuum pack to freeze asparagus in single use packs.

Old Today, 07:27 PM

9,817 posts, read 7,704,654 times
Whatever ripens earliest will be especially welcome after the long winter. Try sweet peas and Bibb lettuce, for a couple of delicious, versatile, early ripening favorites. Bibb lettuce does well in greenhouses, but can be started indoors or outside. St Patrick's Day is the traditional day to plant peas, but consider your location and climate.

Later, add whatever you like -literally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or