U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 06:46 PM

492 posts, read 356,906 times

Advertisements

Yeah there is a big crack/split. I guess it's lightening strike So can't save it? Chop it down?

County extension email back said it's a Black Locus.

Next couple street down I see a big tree got cut down all the way down to its trunk, could also got hit by lightening or high wind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2018, 07:57 PM

13,248 posts, read 10,635,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVguy View Post
Yeah there is a big crack/split. I guess it's lightening strike So can't save it? Chop it down?

County extension email back said it's a Black Locus.

Next couple street down I see a big tree got cut down all the way down to its trunk, could also got hit by lightening or high wind.
It might not be lightning because there are diseases and pest that will also attack the bark and branches: https://homeguides.sfgate.com/black-...hes-90545.html. But, now knowing the name of the tree, it is fast growing and some consider it invasive. It can also reach a height of 65'. That might be a problem for you in the future should the tree survive. The larger they grow; the more expensive they are to have removed. I also believe that tree can be messy; but I might be wrong.

Right now it might be wise to consider all of your options. Possibly a flowering tree that does not grow super tall might be a good alternative. Possibly others here have some recommendations for your area or the county extension might help you out? Of course, if you decide to remove it, you want to get several bids and try to find a tree trimmer that will also remove the stump so you could immediately replant (if that is your desire).

Old 11-08-2018, 02:42 AM

Good tips!

Any idea how old is the black locust in the center here https://i.imgur.com/Rtt8mOu.jpg and left here https://i.imgur.com/H5Ui5g7.jpg.

I think the last owner planted it in 2011 and the pic is 2013, cause there are 2 wooden beams supporting it, but not very sure. But if that's the case then last owner added it and I won't have to plant another tree after I chop it off. HOA is a hassle sometimes. I think that section of the yard you just need one tall tree then 2,3 other plants.

Also I just trim and clean up afterwards, are there any more to do in the front yard. To keep fungus or beetles or whatever else could have attacked the black locust. When I got the house it was already all there and looking good. Now that I am chopping down this tree I hope this won't happen every few years or I will have a crappy front yard lol.

Actually last year or so I have been neglecting the front yard, trim it late and clean up just enough so HOA won't bother me, so there are some junk on the yard. Maybe that caused the tree to attract whatever?

Last edited by LVguy; 11-08-2018 at 03:00 AM..

Old 11-08-2018, 07:08 AM

You have a very attractive house and front lawn in that 2013 picture. By the way; I think your cooperative extension service person might have misidentified your tree. Ever since you said black locust I have had this in the back of my mind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxcdWV9FfEs

Perhaps you really should have had an 'expert' look at your tree? Could you not just ask a landscaping service to give you their opinion before you make any decisions. If you ask for a bid from them they would probably tell you everything you have to know; they might even be familiar with your HOA and know the ins and outs of removing and replanting. If you do not like the price of one you could ask another for their opinion.

Old Yesterday, 06:57 PM

Yeah I don't think it's black locust, they are university students. AFter they saw all the pics they gave me 4,5 possible problems. But how about just 1 can't they just tell from the pics.

Well got 3 landscapers and all 3 said to cut it down, one said it's borers. The one that said it's borers got license of Internat'l Society of Arboriculture Certified Tree Care Arborists Sounds pretty legit I guess.

So borers, maybe caused by drought in the summer, was suppose to have drip system running twice a day but I left it at once a day Other tree and shrubs are looking healthy I guess they are fine. Prices are 180, 200, 245. No stump grind. I will just go with the cheapest.

Forgot to ask how old is the tree, if anyone knows let me know please. I think it's either 7 or 12 years old.

Old Yesterday, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVguy View Post
Yeah I don't think it's black locust, they are university students. AFter they saw all the pics they gave me 4,5 possible problems. But how about just 1 can't they just tell from the pics.

Well got 3 landscapers and all 3 said to cut it down, one said it's borers. The one that said it's borers got license of Internat'l Society of Arboriculture Certified Tree Care Arborists Sounds pretty legit I guess.

So borers, maybe caused by drought in the summer, was suppose to have drip system running twice a day but I left it at once a day Other tree and shrubs are looking healthy I guess they are fine. Prices are 180, 200, 245. No stump grind. I will just go with the cheapest.

Forgot to ask how old is the tree, if anyone knows let me know please. I think it's either 7 or 12 years old.
If your doing the cheapest way; have them cut the tree off flush or a little below grade. If you could shovel some dirt from around the stump and then make sure there are no stones against the stump. That way they might be more inclined to accommodate your quest to cut it below grade. The reason I am asking you to have it cut below grade is so that you can cover it up with soil if you are not going to replace it or remove it. It will also naturally rot quicker below grade. You could help that by drilling some holes in it if you wanted to. As long as you don't plan on planting another tree in that exact location it would not hurt to just leave it in place. Even if they cut it flush you could still cover it with dirt or wood chips.

You could ask them to leave the chips behind for compost. Except, if that tree did have borers, then you might infect your good tree. So it is probably best if they take the chips with them.

Did the landscapers tell you what kind of tree you have?

Old Today, 12:53 AM

awesome!

No I didn't ask them what kind of tree it is. I should have!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden