U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2018, 09:27 AM

9,516 posts, read 7,461,493 times

Advertisements

Saw this and thought it would be a great project to begin in January to kick off the new gardening year.

Anyone else planning new projects for 2019?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrBgDoHvbus
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2018, 11:22 AM

19,252 posts, read 12,733,736 times
We are planning to relandscape our front yard. There is a corner that is lower than the rest of the yard, and I’d like to raise it behind a short retaining wall. We also need to pull up some turf to accommodate the spread of an evergreen. And I’d like to add some plantings to soften the severe look of the front of our house.

Old 11-22-2018, 01:47 PM

1,456 posts, read 704,098 times
I did that bottle garden thing back in the 70s, wish I knew what happened to it. It was cool.

So far, all I have planned is to make a new support for one of my clematis, as its original support is too small for it now--it has become quite a monster. In the spring, I'll plant several new blueberry bushes, have the space all ready for them, and plant 5-6 new hydrangeas. I'll start a new container garden on the deck in April.

Old 11-26-2018, 01:02 PM

1,887 posts, read 1,596,032 times
We are going to pull out 3 of the 4 crape myrtles along our driveway, 3 baby blue spruces, and a weeping cherry, and replace it all with about 10 thula green giants for some much needed privacy to our back yard (corner lot). Won't miss the crapmurders at all! Will relocate the 3 baby blue eye spruces, and ditch the little weeping cherry as the deer appear to be using it as dental floss anyway...

Old Today, 11:04 AM

1,759 posts, read 1,070,594 times
I am looking at having the ash tree in my front yard removed and replaced with either a sunburst or a shademaster honey locust tree (the arborist recommended these two, and he and I are going to discuss more in detail come spring). The ash tree's roots are exposed, plus it's not native to Colorado, where EAB has been cropping up as a problem, so rather than continuing to spend money keeping the ash healthy, I'm going to replace it with something better suited to Colorado. I have a second ash tree on the side of the house, that might be a 2020 project (since removing the trees and having something replanted is not exactly cheap!)

I'm also going to talk to the arborist about planting some bushes in my rock edging near my front walkway. I'm looking at either silvery leadplant or Western sand cherry (both of which do well here).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or