Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 08:34 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,652,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
ALL tomatos today are HYBRID. The original tomato was 100% yellow...
That's interesting! When we see a yellow one now, it's a treat Like someone grew something new and exciting for the modern gourmet LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 11:07 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,105,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
There are also usually restrictions on what can be on a balcony and screening one in or adding greenhouse plastic is almost definitely out. Generally, lightweight patio furniture is allowed. Anything heavy or bulky or unsightly is not.
Thankfully, this isn't the case here in Minneapolis. They'll have issues with anything unsightly, of course, but plants and pots are perfectly ok. Some areas allow barbeque grills. You'll find bicycles on balconies in many areas.

For my first balcony in almost ten years, it will look like the 100 Acre Wood when I'm finished.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:30 AM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
community garden minneapolis MN - Google Search

In case the balcony gets too small for you.

Do another google search ofr "heirloom seeds" and you'll find many sources of non-hybrid seeds. There are non-GMO soybean varieties still available if you look for them. Increasingly hard to find, but not impossible. Lots of non-hybrid tomatoes around too. Breeding new varieties does not necessarily mean they are hybrids. The red color probably originated as an oddity (that happens in nature) and someone saved seeds from it and its descendents, and used selective breeding to get other varieties. My favorite variety is brandywine, but, it's too large (6 ft or more is common, I got some at 8ft last year, and if they had more time, they'd of grown taller) to be growing on a balcony, and in Northern areas needs to be started pretty early to get much from it.

Old 04-07-2008, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
community garden minneapolis MN - Google Search

In case the balcony gets too small for you.

Do another google search ofr "heirloom seeds" and you'll find many sources of non-hybrid seeds. There are non-GMO soybean varieties still available if you look for them. Increasingly hard to find, but not impossible. Lots of non-hybrid tomatoes around too. Breeding new varieties does not necessarily mean they are hybrids. The red color probably originated as an oddity (that happens in nature) and someone saved seeds from it and its descendents, and used selective breeding to get other varieties. My favorite variety is brandywine, but, it's too large (6 ft or more is common, I got some at 8ft last year, and if they had more time, they'd of grown taller) to be growing on a balcony, and in Northern areas needs to be started pretty early to get much from it.
Hybrids are fine with me, I just don't want genetically modified anything!

As for the community garden (sorry, I meant to comment on that earlier), there are places here that do that, but I live without a car so it would be really difficult for me. It's okay, though. I'm patient. One year. Just one more year and I'm outta here!

Old 04-07-2008, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Living View Post
Hybrids are fine with me, I just don't want genetically modified anything!

As for the community garden (sorry, I meant to comment on that earlier), there are places here that do that, but I live without a car so it would be really difficult for me. It's okay, though. I'm patient. One year. Just one more year and I'm outta here!
Heirlooms and open pollinated varieties are a way to avoid any GMO's. The big GMo companies (monsanto, etc.) don't like open pollinated varieties, they want people to buy seed every year. Hybrids, you have to research a little to see what they are. Open pollinated/heirloom varieties, you can save seed from, and then not need to buy seed every year (though some plants are a pain to get seeds from, especially biennials like carrots, but it can be done). You may want to consider seed saving.

I can understand that with the community garden thing. There's one within walking distance of me, so it works out good for me, I don't like cars much.

Old 04-07-2008, 04:54 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Tomatos were thought to be originally found to be growing in Peru. Though many scholars claim they originated in either Mexico, Europe/Italy, and even in Central America. The Incans and later growers scattered the seeds in with other plants/pollens to get various varieties. Tomatos today have been found in the colors of yellow, red, green, orange, purple and white. The tomato was introduced to the US in the early to mid 1800's, somewhere around 1825-1845. Tomatos are classified as a fruit, though many call it a vegetable.

Old 04-07-2008, 05:15 PM

The Supreme Court ruled once that the tomato is a vegetable, despite science to the contrary. LOL

Old 04-07-2008, 05:40 PM

1,378 posts, read 6,210,029 times
Quote:
I would love your advice on something. I'm moving into a new apartment on May 1st and I will have a balcony for the first time in years! I live in Minneapolis and will get the morning sun.

I want to grow some vegetables, if possible, on my balcony. Maybe a fruit or two? How feasible is this? What I'd like to grow and what I'll be able to grow are probably two different things.

Corn? Not likely!
Tomatoes? Hopefully! (Tomatoes are my M&M's!)
Carrots? Doubtful.
Onions? Hate 'em!
Green and Red Peppers? Spinach? I'm not sure.
Herbs? Probably the most possible.
Peas? Would be nice!
Salmon? Oh, wait, that's a whole other realm altogether!
Strawberries? Would LOVE to!

What say the green thumbs of the world? Any resources you can recommend? I grow a mean houseplant!

How about flowers? Which do best in the morning sun?

I'm surprised that no one has picked up on this....but for fruits and vegetables you will need full sun. Full sun in my book is typically 5 to 6 hours with the preference to be the later part of the day not the first half. You mentioned that you will only get morning sun....You can still try tomatoes and peppers, but you might not get very many without the help of the sun. You will have luck with herbs, they might grow a little slower without full sun, but they will still produce for you. Another plant that might perform for you is Tophat Blueberries. You can grow them in containers(soil needs to be acidic so buy a fertilizer to add or find out what natural product you can use to create the same result).
Dwarf Tophat Blueberry | Blueberry Plants from Gurney's Seed and Nursery

As far as flowers go, impatients would be really pretty and they come in a variety of colors. You can google "impatients" and pictures should pop up; easy to maintain and they like morning sun. Also Pansies do well in the same condition but will take a bit more to main.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-08-2008, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrie View Post
I'm surprised that no one has picked up on this....but for fruits and vegetables you will need full sun. Full sun in my book is typically 5 to 6 hours with the preference to be the later part of the day not the first half. You mentioned that you will only get morning sun....You can still try tomatoes and peppers, but you might not get very many without the help of the sun. You will have luck with herbs, they might grow a little slower without full sun, but they will still produce for you. Another plant that might perform for you is Tophat Blueberries. You can grow them in containers(soil needs to be acidic so buy a fertilizer to add or find out what natural product you can use to create the same result).
Dwarf Tophat Blueberry | Blueberry Plants from Gurney's Seed and Nursery

As far as flowers go, impatients would be really pretty and they come in a variety of colors. You can google "impatients" and pictures should pop up; easy to maintain and they like morning sun. Also Pansies do well in the same condition but will take a bit more to main.

Hope this helps.
Just what I wanted. A bunch of impatient pansies on my balcony.

Thanks for the heads-up. It will give me something to research before I begin.

Old 04-08-2008, 06:46 PM

1,378 posts, read 6,210,029 times
Quote:
Just what I wanted. A bunch of impatient pansies on my balcony.

Thanks for the heads-up. It will give me something to research before I begin.

LOL!

Though I mentioned fruit needs to be in the sun; I recommended the tophat blueberries because they can produce in the conditions you mentioned. The only thing......is they take a couple of years to get a lot of berries off of them. Mine came with blooms the first year, but I purchased them through a nursery not the link I gave you. So if you can, try and see if a nursery in your area carries this variety. I purchased mine from Washington State so they did not have to ship far. I don't know if you'll be able to winter them over in Minnesota on a balcony??? Good question to ask before you buy. The plant might need extra protection wrapped around it and a bit of water now and then if it dries out during the winter months. Not sure if you want to mess with that, but thought you might enjoy the access to the fruit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden