U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 04:32 PM

341 posts, read 141,728 times

Advertisements

Maybe I'm cheap but the shipping cost always makes me try and order from only 1 or 2 seed companies.
I like organic seeds even though not convinced they create a better plant or production.

Johnny's Seeds and Southern Exposure Seed Exchange esp. for beans have been my go-to for seeds.

What are your year-after-year favorite seed sellers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2018, 04:54 PM

2,255 posts, read 1,111,966 times
I buy off the rack from two local companies, have always had good luck with them. Their seeds are for cool, short season planting, which is right up my alley.

Old 12-12-2018, 04:55 PM

11,152 posts, read 8,559,848 times
Burner
Park Seeds
Reimer's

Old 12-12-2018, 08:30 PM

7,379 posts, read 13,358,100 times
Default :hamd:

Seeds from Italy is my favorite. They're located in Lawrence, Kansas.
Let me just add this: The germination rate is great AND they give you a veritable buttload of seeds per packet. You could plant a farm with some of these packets.

Last edited by Snort; 12-12-2018 at 08:52 PM.. Reason: My reason for editing is because I did not give a fully sufficient rationale for my high regard for this wonderful company

Old 12-12-2018, 08:46 PM

18,130 posts, read 23,010,120 times
I will no longer buy seeds from Burpee. Something's amiss with their seeds and it's been getting worse over time. Have no idea why or where they get their seeds, but I've had bad luck with seeds resulting in deformed looking flowers (some zinnias I planted a few years ago), tomatoes that were supposed to be sweet, but were really tart, plants that were just not healthy looking, or stunted, etc. Basically, they look like really bad hybrids that have mutated.

Last year I just bought locally off the rack and spent more money on seeds from local companies, looking particularly for heirloom options, for the most part and the results were phenomenal. My abilities and know how haven't changed, so I have to deduce that Burpee's seeds are bad, for whatever reason. I used to have great luck with their seeds many years ago, but something's really changed for the worst.

Old 12-12-2018, 09:36 PM

13,278 posts, read 6,356,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I will no longer buy seeds from Burpee. Something's amiss with their seeds and it's been getting worse over time. Have no idea why or where they get their seeds, but I've had bad luck with seeds resulting in deformed looking flowers (some zinnias I planted a few years ago), tomatoes that were supposed to be sweet, but were really tart, plants that were just not healthy looking, or stunted, etc. Basically, they look like really bad hybrids that have mutated.

Last year I just bought locally off the rack and spent more money on seeds from local companies, looking particularly for heirloom options, for the most part and the results were phenomenal. My abilities and know how haven't changed, so I have to deduce that Burpee's seeds are bad, for whatever reason. I used to have great luck with their seeds many years ago, but something's really changed for the worst.
Burpeeís seeds are expansive but I get the Ambrosia melon which is Burpeeís exclusive. I like to look at the catalog because itís very colorful.

But to answer OP question, I limit myself to no more than 12 companies.

Old 12-13-2018, 07:43 PM

341 posts, read 141,728 times
Thanks for your replies. I went on a search for seed companies with free shipping and managed to find a couple. One was rareseeds.com which is Baker Creek Heirloom seeds and another's free ship offer ends tonight so won't bother posting their name (yes I ordered a small order).

Newbie: 12 companies!! Wow you are a serious gardener, impressive. Can you post photo of your "garden" or maybe it's more of a farm?

Old 12-14-2018, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Burpeeís seeds are expansive but I get the Ambrosia melon which is Burpeeís exclusive. I like to look at the catalog because itís very colorful.

But to answer OP question, I limit myself to no more than 12 companies.
It should be expensive, sorry for the typo.

Old 12-14-2018, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
Thanks for your replies. I went on a search for seed companies with free shipping and managed to find a couple. One was rareseeds.com which is Baker Creek Heirloom seeds and another's free ship offer ends tonight so won't bother posting their name (yes I ordered a small order).

Newbie: 12 companies!! Wow you are a serious gardener, impressive. Can you post photo of your "garden" or maybe it's more of a farm?
I like rareseeds. I have a small yard, no bigger than 6000 sqft max. I get regular garden variety from Home Depot, Lowe’s, and Armstrong. But every year I look online or through seeds catalog and buy a few variety that I don’t see at these places. Max is 12, but that doesn’t mean I buy up to 12. Some seeds company does have free shipping if you order over a certain dollar limit.

Old 12-14-2018, 08:43 AM

4,003 posts, read 3,227,245 times
I like Parks, Baker Creek, and Tomato Growers Supply. Always fun reading catalogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or