U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 10:57 AM

5,609 posts, read 6,297,357 times

Advertisements

I use Ornamec http://www.garden-counselor-lawn-care.com/ornamec.html for control of Bermuda grass. In larger areas you need to seed over top as the Bermuda dies back. Seeding in the autumn works best.

Do NOT kill Bermuda with glyphosate (round up) unless you wish to replant the entire area. It doesn't work any better than the Bermuda specific products and it kills even the good grass which is in there, or surrounding the Bermuda patches.

For the poster above who deals with kikuyugraass, I have used this: https://betterturf.basf.us/products/drive--xlr8-herbicide.html

Both products are for pro use and not available at your average garden center. You have to order them on-line from a commercial nursery supply place and they cost $$$.

But they work. Use per directions. Don't overdo or you will have problems....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2019, 10:29 AM

9,006 posts, read 9,320,574 times
I've got the same type of grass growing in a 5x10 patch in my front yard. Really annoying as it turns instant brown in the fall. It thrives in the summer heat though.

Really don't want to use chemicals, so what I've been doing is scalping it down in the fall and overseeding with fescues and trying to make that the dominant grass. It's slowly working, but I've been at it for 2 seasons and it's still there.

Old 01-04-2019, 05:46 PM

3,332 posts, read 1,946,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I've got the same type of grass growing in a 5x10 patch in my front yard. Really annoying as it turns instant brown in the fall. It thrives in the summer heat though.

Really don't want to use chemicals, so what I've been doing is scalping it down in the fall and overseeding with fescues and trying to make that the dominant grass. It's slowly working, but I've been at it for 2 seasons and it's still there.
I found an article about baking it with clear plastic. The patch in my backyard is pretty big.

I may try your method for the front patch next year. What else have I got to do since I've spent years getting rid of bittersweet?

Old Today, 08:58 AM

9,006 posts, read 9,320,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
I found an article about baking it with clear plastic. The patch in my backyard is pretty big.

I may try your method for the front patch next year. What else have I got to do since I've spent years getting rid of bittersweet?

I'd be a bit more aggressive trying to get rid of it, but it does VERY well in the summer heat, so it's nice to see nice greet grass by my front entrance in the middle of the summer when everything else has gone dormant. Then I don't mind it and why I've taken a slow approach to trying to rid myself of it.

But this time of year...I dislike it greatly.

Old Today, 10:40 AM

3,332 posts, read 1,946,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I'd be a bit more aggressive trying to get rid of it, but it does VERY well in the summer heat, so it's nice to see nice greet grass by my front entrance in the middle of the summer when everything else has gone dormant. Then I don't mind it and why I've taken a slow approach to trying to rid myself of it.

But this time of year...I dislike it greatly.
We had heat AND rain this year and it thrived But it chokes the lawnmower too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden