U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2018, 05:10 PM

5,515 posts, read 2,979,182 times

Advertisements

Have you ever seen bare (not dead) trees in summer? What's the latest you've seen trees bare before leaf out?

I've never seen a tree that I was sure was alive, leafless in the summer. I've seen close, though. The catalpa's here didn't leaf out til mid-late May this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2018, 05:13 PM

570 posts, read 67,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Have you ever seen bare (not dead) trees in summer? What's the latest you've seen trees bare before leaf out?

I've never seen a tree that I was sure was alive, leafless in the summer. I've seen close, though. The catalpa's here didn't leaf out til mid-late May this year.
Probably early May

Old 12-27-2018, 05:38 PM

11,307 posts, read 16,588,708 times
I saw a massive oak leaf out in July, I thought it was dead, it stuck out like a sore thumb for 2.5 months. I’ve also seen a few London Plane trees leaf out twice, in late April and late August, with a premature leaf drop in between the two.

Old 12-27-2018, 05:53 PM

2,156 posts, read 1,481,321 times
I hate bare trees in summer. It makes me think about the fires in California and Greece and how this planet keeps getting warmer and warmer.

Old 12-27-2018, 05:57 PM

2,321 posts, read 1,651,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post

Have you? by the way, mid May is NOT summer, it’s still spring time. As for your question, during the heat wave and drought of summer 2012, I saw that some of the younger or more vulnerable species of tree suffered early leaf drop and/or early dormancy. In the years 2013 to 2018, some of the trees weakened by the 2012 drought have died between 2013 to present. So to answer your question no I have not seen many “Bare” trees during summer that were not dead.

Old 12-27-2018, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I saw a massive oak leaf out in July, I thought it was dead, it stuck out like a sore thumb for 2.5 months. Iíve also seen a few London Plane trees leaf out twice, in late April and late August, with a premature leaf drop in between the two.

Was it a particularly cold spring or summer or was it just a really odd oak? And a tree leafing out twice? Thats super weird haha.

Old 12-27-2018, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isleofpalms85 View Post
Have you? by the way, mid May is NOT summer, itís still spring time. As for your question, during the heat wave and drought of summer 2012, I saw that some of the younger or more vulnerable species of tree suffered early leaf drop and/or early dormancy. In the years 2013 to 2018, some of the trees weakened by the 2012 drought have died between 2013 to present. So to answer your question no I have not seen many ďBareĒ trees during summer that were not dead.

I know its not summer, but I'm saying that's the latest I've seen any tree leaf out.

Old 12-27-2018, 09:11 PM

66,235 posts, read 48,414,224 times
Bare trees and temps in 80s is pretty rare to have here but past few yrs its been happening with late winters lingering and early summer heat hitting.

80s and no shade feels weird.

Usually we get a quick explosion of leaves though.

May is typically late for being bare

Old 12-27-2018, 09:55 PM

34,359 posts, read 52,793,773 times
Did that tree had leaves previously, but lost them suddenly? Or it's a late starter?
Some trees lose leaves due to sickness. Heat and drought stress will cause the tree to lose leaves that it cannot support with the available soil moisture.
Certain trees such as hackberry can drop all of the leaves and enter summer dormancy. Trees that are summer dormant should have supple twigs and healthy buds.
World, Europe, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Exercise and Fitness, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old Yesterday, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Did that tree had leaves previously, but lost them suddenly? Or it's a late starter?
Some trees lose leaves due to sickness. Heat and drought stress will cause the tree to lose leaves that it cannot support with the available soil moisture.
Certain trees such as hackberry can drop all of the leaves and enter summer dormancy. Trees that are summer dormant should have supple twigs and healthy buds.

I'm more referring to late starters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden