Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2018, 04:48 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Let’s see... I have 2 Asian Pears (Hosui and Olympic), Santa Rosa Plum, a Nectarine, 2 blueberry (O’Neill, a southern Highbush and Sweetheart, a hybrid), plus two more coming in mid-January, a Fuyu persimmon and a Lapin Cherry.

I am re-doing my backyard so this is a good time to plant the fruit trees I wanted. I am also thinking to dabble in planting grape but it maybe a bit ambitious.

It’s an exciting time
That’s sounds like fun. I’m thinking of adding some thornless raspberries. The things is, the birds get most of my blueberries, so they’d probably get the raspberries too.

We went to a vineyard in Wales. They had special, short legged sheep that grazed the grass under the grapevines, but were too short to reach the grape leaves. So if you get grapes, you’ll need some sheep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2019, 04:57 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Not thinking much about 2019 garden but am getting a few ideas. Of course most of mine is container only. I will get a little more serious in a few weeks I am sure. WE start our seeds inside sometime in Feb and veggies go into the containers in April. Our flowers are just stuck in the ground or pots without being started from seed. I haven't had too much luck with them from seed.

Old 01-01-2019, 05:47 AM

83,514 posts, read 75,277,900 times
Yeah, its that time of the year (mid winter) where I start thinking about garden and spring. I'll be drawing out the layout I want to do this year.

I'm going to grow Okra again (only grew it once in my life).
I'm going to try growing corn again (failed twice)
We'll see if I have room for Cauliflower.

Happy New Garden Year!

Old 01-01-2019, 09:12 AM

3,727 posts, read 7,033,188 times
I'm just going to make seed balls with the zillions of seeds I already have. Throw some out now, then more in the early spring and see what comes up. This may be our last summer in this house, so I'm not going to invest any more cash.

Old 01-02-2019, 06:09 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I just placed an order for my 2019 garden. Post your new plans for the new year here.

First, a bit of background. I lived in Ohio for many years, yet have only learned that the state fruit is the pawpaw. How many of you have tasted a pawpaw? Me neither. It is native to Georgia, where I live now, and many other states too.

I decided to add a pawpaw to my GA yard, however you need at least 2, so 2 it is. The reason we do not see the fruit in stores, is it has a very short shelf life. Once picked it keeps for just a few days. I have a produce market across the road, so maybe they will like to have what I can’t use. Anyway, that’s putting the cart before the horse.

I found an organic nursery in KY, that sells them, and so, I eagerly await!
I planted PawPaw trees in my backyard about 8 years ago, and I’ve gotten fruit for the last 3 years. The seeds are so easy to grow, and I’ve got about ten seedlings in containers. Just make sure to plant them where they get mid-day shade, or else they’ll get scorched.

Weird thing is deer seem to not be interested in them, leaves or fruit.

Old 01-03-2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Yeah, its that time of the year (mid winter) where I start thinking about garden and spring. I'll be drawing out the layout I want to do this year.

I'm going to grow Okra again (only grew it once in my life).
I'm going to try growing corn again (failed twice)
We'll see if I have room for Cauliflower.

Happy New Garden Year!
okra is so much fun to grow, so good pickled and even other ways. I used to hate it, but now I look forward to raising it.. Don't get me wrong, it will never be my favorite veggie, but it really is good a couple of different ways.

Old 01-03-2019, 01:24 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I planted PawPaw trees in my backyard about 8 years ago, and I’ve gotten fruit for the last 3 years. The seeds are so easy to grow, and I’ve got about ten seedlings in containers. Just make sure to plant them where they get mid-day shade, or else they’ll get scorched.

Weird thing is deer seem to not be interested in them, leaves or fruit.
I have a couple of part shade areas in my yard, so I’ll find a good spot.

Old 01-03-2019, 03:24 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I have a couple of part shade areas in my yard, so I’ll find a good spot.
I highly recommend planting a ‘Guthrie’ plum, it’s a cultivar of the native Chickasaw plum but has larger fruit and doesn’t sucker. I got loads of fruit from mine last year and I don’t spray it at all. A few will be wormy but they are the first ones to fall off.

‘Odom’ is another cultivar I plan to buy this year.

Old 01-03-2019, 06:58 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,958,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
okra is so much fun to grow, so good pickled and even other ways. I used to hate it, but now I look forward to raising it.. Don't get me wrong, it will never be my favorite veggie, but it really is good a couple of different ways.
Nita,

A question on growing okra. When I’d the time to plant seeds? Full sun? Partial shade?

Old 01-09-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Nita,

A question on growing okra. When I’d the time to plant seeds? Full sun? Partial shade?
We have always planed it in full sun or maybe a tiny bit of shade, but it does love sun. It doesn't need as much water as some fresh produce and loves to mature in Aug and Sept.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden