U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 06:30 PM

67,498 posts, read 49,371,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
okra is so much fun to grow, so good pickled and even other ways. I used to hate it, but now I look forward to raising it.. Don't get me wrong, it will never be my favorite veggie, but it really is good a couple of different ways.

Pickled? Interesting! People have to have a taste for it. I found out my neighbor likes then so if I have too much I know who to give it to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Nita,

A question on growing okra. When I’d the time to plant seeds? Full sun? Partial shade?
Where are you located?? (Put in banner please)

I agree with Nita they need full sun. They love soil temps of 80+.

From 2014. Front ones planted directly in ground.. Back ones started indoors. Notice the back ones are much taller and further into the growth stage.

Gotta start indoors around here to make most of the short growing season

I never knew they flowered like this until I started growing them.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2019, 06:33 PM

Speaking of soil temps. Currently Top 3 inches is frozen here. 4 inches down its 32.5ĮF.

Typically the soil gets to 50s in early April but last year took till May

Typically gets to 70s end of June.

I'll be drawing out my beds soon. Still too early of course.

Old 01-28-2019, 11:45 PM

4,814 posts, read 8,555,822 times
Cambium,

I am in the high desert area of SoCal (zone 8b).

I am thinking direct sow okra on the ground instead of growing indoors. Interesting to see okra grows tall & take up some space. I may plant them along the wall instead taking up precious space in raised beds.

Old 01-29-2019, 05:46 AM

35,975 posts, read 44,147,372 times
Gee, I might try some. I like them pickled in bloody Mary’s.

Old 02-02-2019, 06:24 PM

42,954 posts, read 34,415,038 times
Well, I am all torn up because I pruned our many rose bushes the past two mornings since it's been pretty mild outside. I mean, it was chilly but it felt great to get outside and get my hands dirty!

The other night I accidentally left our umbrellas up and when I got up the next morning, the high winds had torn them up and blown them all over the back yard! I had been going back and forth about buying new pillows and umbrellas this year but decided to just do it since the umbrellas were trashed anyway. Still need an outdoor rug or two but I can wait that out.

After this next bit of rain and cold front goes through, my husband and I are going to redo our herb garden - actually we grow them in three big barrel type things which are falling apart, so I want to get three new ones. I have a great spot for them and I love having fresh herbs for about 9 months out of the year!

My husband also wants to build a greenhouse this spring. I think I will like that.

We did a lot of bed planting with perennials last year and the year before but I always fill in some spots with lots of flowering annuals but I have got to hold off till March for that brouhaha. I can hardly wait! I just love getting out in the dirt and planting things - I love the solitude of working in the yard, especially weeding flower beds in the peaceful mornings by myself. I always miss that from November or so till March.

The yard and the beds look very stark and clean and empty and cold right now, with the bare branches of the trees against the gray sky. I don't much care for February, but I have to admit that I do look forward to pruning those roses - the first of the "yard chores" for the year!
Attached Thumbnails
Iím getting a jump on 2019, You?-new-outdoor-pillows-2019-1.jpg   Iím getting a jump on 2019, You?-new-outdoor-pillows-2019-2.jpg   Iím getting a jump on 2019, You?-new-outdoor-pillows-2019-3.jpg  

Old 02-03-2019, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Well, I am all torn up because I pruned our many rose bushes the past two mornings since it's been pretty mild outside. I mean, it was chilly but it felt great to get outside and get my hands dirty!

The other night I accidentally left our umbrellas up and when I got up the next morning, the high winds had torn them up and blown them all over the back yard! I had been going back and forth about buying new pillows and umbrellas this year but decided to just do it since the umbrellas were trashed anyway. Still need an outdoor rug or two but I can wait that out.

After this next bit of rain and cold front goes through, my husband and I are going to redo our herb garden - actually we grow them in three big barrel type things which are falling apart, so I want to get three new ones. I have a great spot for them and I love having fresh herbs for about 9 months out of the year!

My husband also wants to build a greenhouse this spring. I think I will like that.

We did a lot of bed planting with perennials last year and the year before but I always fill in some spots with lots of flowering annuals but I have got to hold off till March for that brouhaha. I can hardly wait! I just love getting out in the dirt and planting things - I love the solitude of working in the yard, especially weeding flower beds in the peaceful mornings by myself. I always miss that from November or so till March.

The yard and the beds look very stark and clean and empty and cold right now, with the bare branches of the trees against the gray sky. I don't much care for February, but I have to admit that I do look forward to pruning those roses - the first of the "yard chores" for the year!
The pillows are very cheery in the gray weather. Does your grass stay green in the winter in TX? Imagine how depressing it is in GA, with tan lawns. Canít wait for March.

Old 02-03-2019, 08:06 AM

42,954 posts, read 34,415,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
The pillows are very cheery in the gray weather. Does your grass stay green in the winter in TX? Imagine how depressing it is in GA, with tan lawns. Canít wait for March.
Oh, our lawn is pretty drab right now. Just a bit of green - it's probably a weed of some sort - LOL.

I lived in GA for ten years - I'd say that the seasons tend to be very similar between GA and NE Texas.

Spring in NE Texas is fabulous though - FABULOUS. Everything is blooming and lush. This lasts through I'd say June. July, August and September are hot hot hot and things tend to get, I don't know, tired. There are lots of blooming plants that do bloom all summer long, but unless we have a wet summer (like we did last year), by September I am ready for some fall!

But March through June in NE Texas is gorgeous and I can't wait to get out in those flower beds!

Old 02-04-2019, 06:04 AM

Taking advantage of this thaw. Was on the roof yesterday to clean my wood stove flue and took this pic..

3 weeks away from starting Pepper Seeds inside.
4-6 weeks away from tilling the beds.

That white board in the middle is where I measure snowfall

Old 02-04-2019, 04:37 PM

I hobbled outside today (I have a boot on my foot)., since it was 70 today. It was lovely to be out in the fresh air. I picked a nice rose, and was happy to see buds on some plants and things starting to come to life. Unless we get an ugly surprise, the winter hasnít been too harsh here.
Attached Thumbnails
Iím getting a jump on 2019, You?-2f61ca8a-b782-4002-a0ad-b72938548a34.jpeg  

Old 02-05-2019, 03:53 PM

7,415 posts, read 10,000,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I hobbled outside today (I have a boot on my foot)., since it was 70 today. It was lovely to be out in the fresh air. I picked a nice rose, and was happy to see buds on some plants and things starting to come to life. Unless we get an ugly surprise, the winter hasnít been too harsh here.
Get better soon!!! It reached 66 here today but the little daffies have not started to poke their heads out as of today. A neighbor moved her mulch and the crocus and hyacinth were underneath in bright and shiny green, but we are going to get a cold snap again here later in the week and next.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or