U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 08:22 AM

774 posts, read 1,087,775 times

Advertisements

You know, I've lived in Michigan all my life and I never thought about what the state fruit is for Michigan. When I searched for the answer, there isn't one. Heck Michigan has a state fossil, but no state fruit. I would have thought Cherry or blueberry, maybe. Some searches pointed more to peach.

I have a lot of work to do this year in my garden and yard. I already have seeds to grow some tomato and pepper plants. I bought some rose bushes before the end of the growing season and I transferred some other flowering plants that were covered by overgrowth due to lack of care. I have two raised beds that will house both peppers and tomatoes, and I hope to get a third one before the start of the growing season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2019, 06:49 PM

50 posts, read 18,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I just placed an order for my 2019 garden. Post your new plans for the new year here.

First, a bit of background. I lived in Ohio for many years, yet have only learned that the state fruit is the pawpaw. How many of you have tasted a pawpaw? Me neither. It is native to Georgia, where I live now, and many other states too.

I decided to add a pawpaw to my GA yard, however you need at least 2, so 2 it is. The reason we do not see the fruit in stores, is it has a very short shelf life. Once picked it keeps for just a few days. I have a produce market across the road, so maybe they will like to have what I canít use. Anyway, thatís putting the cart before the horse.

I found an organic nursery in KY, that sells them, and so, I eagerly await!
Paw Paws are the BEST EVER!! I grew up with them and persimmions both.

We have a group of 4 in our backyard we planted last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
okra is so much fun to grow, so good pickled and even other ways. I used to hate it, but now I look forward to raising it.. Don't get me wrong, it will never be my favorite veggie, but it really is good a couple of different ways.
I love it. We pickle it, bread and fry it, and use it in Cajun dishes.

I've also used it in steamed veggie melody and it was good too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Nita,

A question on growing okra. When Iíd the time to plant seeds? Full sun? Partial shade?
I start most of my garden this coming weekend, or the next. Okra needs full sun, and it grows TALL, so plant it on the northern side of your garden, so it doesn't shade out some smaller stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
The vegetable garden is tiny plus several pots we used to have trees in. Downsizing shrank everything. SO will make frame trellises covered with cattle fence for yard long beans and Armenian cucumbers which are actually a melon. Lots of spicy peppers and of course Sweet 100 tomatoes just for me. He made fun of me last year and hung a salt shaker on their trellis.
Gentlehearts - check out Petals of the Past in Jemison, AL. Depending on your location it may be a nice day trip.
Hubby says your husband is genius for the salt shaker!

Where is Jemison, AL? We usually take a weekend trip to see my sister in Simmes, then swing back by Aquila's to take home royal reds, blue crabs, vermilion snapper, oysters, crawdads, and flounder, to fill up the 3rd freezer, lol. if it's not too far, I will MAKE us take a detour, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
just saw packages of seeds at $ Tree yesterday: 4 packs for a buck I think I am going to buy some and start a few plants inside as soon as we get back for our cruise which will be toward the middle of Feb. That is usually when we start out tomato plants anyway, just about a week later than usual.
I always check out them first before I do my online orders. I get a TON of seeds from Dollar Seeds, and Mary's Heirlooms, and Direct Gardening. They even have a few hard to find herbs like Rue, Tansy, and Toothache. Dollar Seeds are all $1/pack, Mary's has 99 cent sales, and Direct has really good prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Just ordered my seeds a few days ago, waiting for delivery. Somehow seeds have become ridiculously expensive, so my $50 discount from Gurneys helped with shipping cost. I ordered some Peony bulbs and lots of tomato seeds. Already planted my fava beans yesterday. Planted 2 zucchini plants last week. Letís hope they survive.
Same! I usually only order bulbs, trees, berry bushes, and sets like onions, strawberries, asparagus, etc...just cause of the essentially half off coupon, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Pickled? Interesting! People have to have a taste for it. I found out my neighbor likes then so if I have too much I know who to give it to.

Where are you located?? (Put in banner please)

I agree with Nita they need full sun. They love soil temps of 80+.

I never knew they flowered like this until I started growing them.
Oh yeah, pickled is my fav, but I pickle everything it seems like, lol.

We're in Western KY, and the Okra flowers are so pretty. I like squash flowers too, and they are edible, but I don't wanna pick them and lose fruits, lol.

Old 02-16-2019, 06:58 AM

13,456 posts, read 18,196,995 times
im only doing flowers this year because I have been ill I wont be doing veggies mainly tomatoes . I have to get rid of my psoriasis before I can plant veggies again and everything is getting so expensive anymore that it kind of takes the joy out of growing anything anymore .

Old 02-16-2019, 08:03 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,972 posts, read 52,451,367 times
My favorite tomato is Black Prince, hard to find at the nursery so I have seeds. I just planted them, in the greenhouse window so that they will be close to blossoms when they can go outside in May. For the other tomatoes and crops I can just wait to buy plants.

Old 02-16-2019, 12:59 PM

18,861 posts, read 17,986,251 times
Here in CT (and MA) we usually can start seeds indoors in April. I'm in an apartment now so gardening is going to be a challenge.

But I bought a mini greenhouse on Amazon and started some lettuce indoors. I hope it lives! Next year I'll look into getting some plant lights.

Right now the lettuce seedlings are growing but flopping over. Well, I've always had trouble with lettuce from seed. Seems hard to get it started. Plan to transplant them into individual pots today and add a bit of fertilizer. The compost I started in a bin out on the balcony is still frozen solid so I'll use miracle-gro for now.

https://www.amazon.com/Ikea-Greenhou...enhouse+indoor

(This is what I bought--Ikea. It's so dry in winter indoors but this goes over the plants like a cloche and the top opens to you can pick the plants up to work on them or to set them outside if today's weather permits.)

Old 02-16-2019, 01:08 PM

18,861 posts, read 17,986,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
im only doing flowers this year because I have been ill I wont be doing veggies mainly tomatoes . I have to get rid of my psoriasis before I can plant veggies again and everything is getting so expensive anymore that it kind of takes the joy out of growing anything anymore .
Oh, don't lose gardening. I think psoriasis is caused by some allergy or sensitivity--maybe you can figure it out and get back to gardening again.

I think everyone loves growing tomatoes though. They are so easy and so prolific. And yummy!

Old 02-16-2019, 02:22 PM

4,044 posts, read 2,293,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Letís see... I have 2 Asian Pears (Hosui and Olympic), Santa Rosa Plum, a Nectarine, 2 blueberry (OíNeill, a southern Highbush and Sweetheart, a hybrid), plus two more coming in mid-January, a Fuyu persimmon and a Lapin Cherry.

I am re-doing my backyard so this is a good time to plant the fruit trees I wanted. I am also thinking to dabble in planting grape but it maybe a bit ambitious.

Itís an exciting time
Ive had troubles keeping grapes going.

Im near new york wine territory but not in it, maybe thats why.

First the Japanese beetles LOVE them.so get traps for them.
Then they just dont seem to grow back for me the next year. Ive tried 7 diff varieties all the same results over 3 years. Not sure what is happening.

Good luck though if you can get them to grow for you.

Old 02-16-2019, 02:43 PM

11,331 posts, read 5,468,683 times
It’s been so cold here, one of my store bought cucumber plant died. However, the two zucchini plants are still there but not growing.
All the bulbs are flowering, just planted them in after a Christmas.
Fava beans are now sprouting leaves. Too cold for tomato seedlings yet. But I did plan some garden peas in the shading bed.

Old 02-17-2019, 06:50 AM

67,521 posts, read 49,428,702 times
Hi guys.. just a quick reminder as this growing season is upon us... It would be nice to see a location! (doesn't have to be exact of course, general area is fine!)!

Especially because in the garden world we're always talking about a location about flowers and veggies. I know sometimes it's mentioned in a post but I guess you can't always mention it.

Easy to add. Go to "My Settings" at the top bar on any CityData page, then click "Edit My Details" on the left side. Scroll down to "Location", type it in. Save.

Old 02-17-2019, 04:24 PM

11,331 posts, read 5,468,683 times
I did and it didn’t show up. I wonder why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or