Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 10:01 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,313,949 times

Advertisements

Well got our first catalog yesterday and for Christmas i got a basil seed container that is great for growing indoors so now I am getting pretty into what to plant for the spring. I am going to start the basil this pm. Our daughter started hers about a week ago and it is already popping up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2019, 08:44 AM

24,120 posts, read 10,449,310 times
The vegetable garden is tiny plus several pots we used to have trees in. Downsizing shrank everything. SO will make frame trellises covered with cattle fence for yard long beans and Armenian cucumbers which are actually a melon. Lots of spicy peppers and of course Sweet 100 tomatoes just for me. He made fun of me last year and hung a salt shaker on their trellis. Celery parsley is still growing. I found the seeds at an Asian grocery store. Clumps of garlic chives are tucked between drift roses in the front. Pests no not care for them and the white blooms are so pretty in fall. Cardinal climber all over the fence for hummingbirds. I acquired the original seeds at Callaway Gardens ages ago. Confession of a seed thief. Daffodils are already coming up.
Every year we start things too early and every year we vow not to do it again.
Gentlehearts - check out Petals of the Past in Jemison, AL. Depending on your location it may be a nice day trip.

Old 01-13-2019, 01:57 PM

50,117 posts, read 63,506,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
The vegetable garden is tiny plus several pots we used to have trees in. Downsizing shrank everything. SO will make frame trellises covered with cattle fence for yard long beans and Armenian cucumbers which are actually a melon. Lots of spicy peppers and of course Sweet 100 tomatoes just for me. He made fun of me last year and hung a salt shaker on their trellis. Celery parsley is still growing. I found the seeds at an Asian grocery store. Clumps of garlic chives are tucked between drift roses in the front. Pests no not care for them and the white blooms are so pretty in fall. Cardinal climber all over the fence for hummingbirds. I acquired the original seeds at Callaway Gardens ages ago. Confession of a seed thief. Daffodils are already coming up.
Every year we start things too early and every year we vow not to do it again.
Gentlehearts - check out Petals of the Past in Jemison, AL. Depending on your location it may be a nice day trip.
That’s a ways from Savannah, but I always like to hear of a new nursery. Do you know of Wilson Bros. in GA? They have nice healthy plants, and “free” shipping.

Old 01-13-2019, 06:02 PM

18,940 posts, read 43,348,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
That’s a ways from Savannah, but I always like to hear of a new nursery. Do you know of Wilson Bros. in GA? They have nice healthy plants, and “free” shipping.
If I were in Savannah I’d find it hard not to take a trip to Woodlanders in Aiken, SC. I’ve spoken to the owner on the phone a few times and he is very friendly and helpful, and their plants look great too.

Old 01-17-2019, 05:25 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,313,949 times
just saw packages of seeds at $ Tree yesterday: 4 packs for a buck I think I am going to buy some and start a few plants inside as soon as we get back for our cruise which will be toward the middle of Feb. That is usually when we start out tomato plants anyway, just about a week later than usual.

Old 01-28-2019, 08:45 AM

I hope my foot heals soon, because I spend a lot of time garden browsing online. Today was bearded iris from Burpee. They will be tiny, but I have patience.

It doesn’t help to binge watch British gardening shows either.

Old 01-28-2019, 08:51 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,688,132 times
Just ordered my seeds a few days ago, waiting for delivery. Somehow seeds have become ridiculously expensive, so my $50 discount from Gurneys helped with shipping cost. I ordered some Peony bulbs and lots of tomato seeds. Already planted my fava beans yesterday. Planted 2 zucchini plants last week. Let’s hope they survive.

Old 01-28-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I am sorry for the late reply. We lived in GA and AL but left nine year ago for TX and now OK. In AL I went through the Master Gardener class which opened all sorts of doors on a local level. You may want to check into it.

Old 01-28-2019, 11:01 AM

SO brought three (yes three) packages of Armenian Cucumber home. But the mesclun lettuce mix he started in a concrete mixing tub sitting in the little drag along cart in the garage is doing well. Sprouting like crazy.

Old 01-28-2019, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
I am sorry for the late reply. We lived in GA and AL but left nine year ago for TX and now OK. In AL I went through the Master Gardener class which opened all sorts of doors on a local level. You may want to check into it.
I have Master Gardener penciled in for next year. Bunion surgery this year, or I’d be doing it now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden