U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2018, 11:45 AM

2,792 posts, read 1,211,261 times

Advertisements

I've been growing horseradish in a pot on the balcony and over a few weeks, it morphed from the normal looking leaves I see everywhere online, to totally serrated (to the stem) yellow-green leaves. There are a few "normal" leaves left. But the rest are these unrecognizable leaves. I thought something else had taken over so dug one up. There was a partially developed horseradish root which I grated and used.

Anybody seen this weirdness? Sorry, I can't post my own pictures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2018, 12:08 PM

3,005 posts, read 1,780,314 times
Yes Sand&Salt. My own horseradish plant does this. It's in that stage right now. The leaves are serrated. The crown is still a healthy green though, only the outer leaves are fading. How about yours?

Old 12-30-2018, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
Yes Sand&Salt. My own horseradish plant does this. It's in that stage right now. The leaves are serrated. The crown is still a healthy green though, only the outer leaves are fading. How about yours?
Oh thanks, Terra. I have seen NO pictures of this. The crown doesn't look good either. What does the yellow-green tint mean? How can you tell when it's mature enough to harvest?

Old 12-30-2018, 01:35 PM

This is the horseradish I am currently growing Sand&Salt.
Perhaps it is crown rot? I've read (internet reading) that you don't
want to overwater them, but in my climate, I've noticed mine prefer
shade from intense heat/sun and more water than normal. Mine wilts if
not given water quite regular. I know its relative, wasabi, likes water.
Crown rot may be your climate, fungus or perhaps
over-watering.

As far as yellowing leaves, I think the plant is just maturing, and casting off
the older leaves. Someone with more experience than I may be able to give you
a better answer. I know the serrated leaves are adult leaves and normal for the
plant.

I've grown horseradish in the past and always had same experience.
Wanted water (I side-water, never the crown) and hated too much heat.

edit: Mine likes used coffee grounds. I give it a cup on soil surface every 3 months.
*When you used Google images, did you type in "horseradish plant?" I see several variations
of the plant, and some do have deeply serrated leaves.
*Horseradish is a perennial, so I wouldn't consider harvest until it's at least 2 yrs. old. I let mine go to
3 or 4.

Last edited by TerraDown; 12-30-2018 at 01:48 PM..

Old 12-30-2018, 10:00 PM

Wanted to add: This is the third pot I have placed it in within the 4 or so months I have had it. It is aggresssive with growth. When I see several roots coming out of pot bottom, it gets a new pot.

Old 12-30-2018, 10:36 PM

13,607 posts, read 10,893,845 times
Everybody should have the 'pleasure' of grinding horseradish! I have had CS and CN teargas training and horseradish is about as close as one can get to that riot training. If anybody ever has a cold; grinding your own horseradish is one sure way to clean out your system!

Old Yesterday, 02:51 PM

2,387 posts, read 1,607,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Everybody should have the 'pleasure' of grinding horseradish! I have had CS and CN teargas training and horseradish is about as close as one can get to that riot training. If anybody ever has a cold; grinding your own horseradish is one sure way to clean out your system!
That or wasabi is what I use to clear my nasal and sinus passages during a cold.

Old Today, 11:27 AM

Oh Yes! Way back when, I used to suck the air with a straw out of ziplocks prior to freezing. You can guess what happened. Thought I was gonna die from the grated horseradish fumes! Couldn't breathe! Good for sinus cleaning for sure.

I didn't know you had to wait a couple years to harvest! I am only growing it because it can't be had here in So. America. It may not like the tropical climate either; starts to wilt without every-other-day watering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden