U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Yesterday, 12:07 PM

13,600 posts, read 10,889,346 times

Advertisements

For anybody that owns a chainsaw or is thinking about buying one; you should study these YouTube tree cutting fails. They are really not funny when you think of the number of people that were probably seriously hurt or maybe even killed. It isn't just one YouTube video; I believe there are at least six of them and maybe more. Accidents can happen very fast and one has to be prepared for the worst. That is why I am making this thread because some of us might not anticipate the problems shown on these videos. There are several fails where somebody was cutting off a limb, while on a ladder, and the butt of the tree limb falls into the ladder and knock the ladder and cutter down to the ground. Seriously, if you plan on cutting trees or limbs; study these videos as if they are logging '101' so that does not happen to you! These can be a great teaching aid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSjkMHmz6kk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 08:16 AM

7,336 posts, read 9,826,110 times
Seriously some of these people are just plain ignorant. Number one rule when cutting anything, be it on a table saw or a tree is to be aware of your surroundings and safety. I was raised under my dad's armpit and I will go toe to toe with anyone using a saw. Safety was always his top concern. Number one, you never cut a tree on a ladder alone. If you watch professional tree trimmers you will see they are always top side to the limb being cut and someone on the ground has a guide rope to direct the limb.

Old Today, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Seriously some of these people are just plain ignorant. Number one rule when cutting anything, be it on a table saw or a tree is to be aware of your surroundings and safety. I was raised under my dad's armpit and I will go toe to toe with anyone using a saw. Safety was always his top concern. Number one, you never cut a tree on a ladder alone. If you watch professional tree trimmers you will see they are always top side to the limb being cut and someone on the ground has a guide rope to direct the limb.
Many of the videos contained in those YouTube videos clearly demonstrate the problems people can encounter. Like I first said; I would not be surprised if some of the people did not die from the injuries they sustained.

It is one thing to tell people not to cut a limb on a ladder and it is another thing to show them exactly what can happen - these videos do a wonderful job! Having a 'helper' on the ground with a rope to the limb can prevent accidents like that from happening - but that helper has to have a eye on the cut every second. Mistakes happen so fast that many cannot respond that quick. The videos clearly show how the top of the limb hits the ground first and the base kicks back and knocks out the ladder.

One other stupid mistake, that is demonstrated over and over again, is to not leave anything or anybody that you value close to the tree you are cutting. Many of those videos show vehicles being crushed when it would have been so easy to simply move the vehicle out of harm's way before you started cutting. I guess one can even use their smartphone to calculate the height of a tree (https://gabrielhemery.com/how-to-cal...-a-smartphone/). I just leave my equipment well out of reach of the falling tree; it's not worth taking a chance.

The videos also show what can happen with dead trees or trees with termite infestations. Those trees are very deadly. In one short clip they show a man being struck by falling dead wood when he first starts cutting. Years ago I was cutting three miles back away from civilization and all by myself when a dead limb struck me and knocked me off my feet. I had just started to cut and was probably no more than an inch into the tree when my peripheral vison caught sight of something coming at me. In a split second I raised my right arm to cover my head and that probably saved my life. The angle of my forearm diverted the force of a four inch think limb; it still left me stunned and shaking from the thought of what could have happened. At that time none of us wore safety helmets.

If I am cutting anything close to a building I also use plenty of ropes and chains. The higher that you rope a tree; the more force you can exert on it to fall in the right direction. Of course not everybody can climb or reach far up a tree; in that case they should hire a professional crew before their video is included in these sets of YouTube videos!

Safety helmets, safety goggles (to protect your eyes from wood chips), hearing protection, leather gloves, and steel toe boots all help protect those sawing. They even have Kevlar pants available. Running chainsaws can cut flesh like butter. One should never have their legs or feet directly behind the chainsaw while cutting. Chainsaws are a modern marvel that can quickly get the job done. But people have to respect them and treat them just like you would a loaded gun - they can be dangerous and the trees they cut can be dangerous. I just hope that many look at these videos as a great educational tool.

PS I know the one picture in the YouTube video was staged with the man cutting off the limb he was sitting on. He had boxes under him to absorb the energy from his fall. That said; he still fell with a running chainsaw in his hand and a very heavy limb falling with him. I don't want one staged clip to distract from all the others that were not staged.

Last edited by fisheye; Today at 09:11 AM..

Old Today, 11:04 AM

1,485 posts, read 2,180,699 times
They guy cutting the rotten tree that disintegrated at the base did not have a clear escape route....very important to clear any debris and small brush so you can escape quickly if something goes wrong

Old Today, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samiamnh View Post
They guy cutting the rotten tree that disintegrated at the base did not have a clear escape route....very important to clear any debris and small brush so you can escape quickly if something goes wrong
A very good observation! That is what I hoped that we would see as more people look at these videos as a training aid. Wood is very heavy and can seriously injure. How many times have we found broken branches that stuck in the ground several inches or even more? If you tired to drive a wooden stake in the ground the same distance it would take a lot of force. Falling from any height is also very dangerous. People fall just standing and break bones. Falling off a ladder could cripple somebody for life or worse.

People will buy pruning saws and chainsaws without any formal education on the safe use of these tools. Pictures can be worth a thousand words.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or