U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Yesterday, 03:47 PM

1,395 posts, read 770,682 times

Advertisements

The OP wouldn’t like our natural lawn, either. No pesticides, fertilizers, mowing. We have 6 acres with about an acre in pasture. We have a beekeeper who has 4 healthy hives here and we get honey in exchange for rent. We, too, have clover, weeds, that the ducks, bunnies, birds eat. We also have, gasp, moss. Love our little moss patches in the woods. But, to each their own.

We have several new neighbors who spend a good chunk of their time mowing a former horse pasture and an orchard. I guess if that is how you want to spend your time.... They don’t use the orchard or the former pasture for anything other than looks.

Last edited by xPlorer48; Yesterday at 03:50 PM.. Reason: Additional info
Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 05:11 PM

1,456 posts, read 2,176,568 times
Yeah, it has definitely been a soaker with 2018 be in the wettest on record.

Sounds like itís time to pour on the soy and alpha.

I have a couple trees Iím planning on using the Bayer treatment on that I didnít use last year but I know it provides amazing results.

Last fall was definitely a strange one due to the excessive amount of rain I had my aeration and seeding much later than usual.

Wow, sounds like you already have an impressive plan for some spring landscaping...get ready because it will be here before you know it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
Mine is floating away! Soooo much rain lately. I've had to "dedicate" a pair of shoes just to walk in the lawn as they get soaked and muddy now.

I neglected a bit last year, and also complied to my neighbor's complaints about the stink of the alfa and soybean meal. I have clover issues now in the back yard and thinning a bit. I don't really like my neighbors anymore, so I'll be coating my lawn again with the soy and alfalfa again soon enough. I have plenty of the sprays left over from last year to go again this year, thankfully. So weeds and crab grass shouldn't be a problem again. Will certainly do another round of the Bayer tree/shrub treatment again this year (stuff worked great). I did overseed and feed in the fall, will see how that comes up in a few months. But, 100% going to throw down more fescue seed and a ton of the alfalfa and soybean meal again this spring. Going to get my golf ball trick back! Probably cost me around $500 or so for the lawn itself.

Still stuck on big items at the moment though. This year's outdoor ticket item will be the addition of 14 Thula Green Giant trees while removing 3 crape myrtles, 3 baby blue spuces, and 1 weeping cherry that the deer are using as dental floss. Going for complete and total privacy for our side and back yard now (we're a corner lot). I have a wholesaler who can get me the Thula's at 7-8 feet tall for about $75 a tree, and a landscaper who'll charge me about $40 a tree to install, along with reworking some of the lines on the irrigation system. All-in, probably around $2k to get it done.

At this rate of home repair, I'm might have to skip Milwaukee and go direct myself for budget purposes....
Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or