Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 07:25 PM

7,487 posts, read 7,156,393 times

Advertisements

Many have asked me, how does your lawn look so good it’s the envy of the neighborhood? Well, just a little bit of effort can yield huge results so it’s that time of year to start planning and getting ready...

My overall cool season lawn care program looks like this:

- Crabgrass preventer in the spring (Lesco Dimension with no fertilizer). Crabgrass typically germinates when soil temperatures reach 62 degrees Fahrenheit at a depth of 1 or 2 inches. Crabgrass preventer should be applied when soil temperatures reach 50 to 55 degrees Fahrenheit. Great website to track the soil temperature in your area: Soil Temperature Maps

- Fertilize with Milorganite (organic approach to feed the soil as synthetic only feeds the plant) or apply spring application of Orgo (1/2 -3/4”).

- 1" of rain per week (all the same time instead of spread out over several days).

- Spot treat weeds as needed (hand spray). (Gordon’s Speed Zone lawn weed killer)

- Late June for grub control and various insects, apply Bayer Advanced All Season Grub Granules.

- Cut tall fescue grasses 3-4" in height during the late spring/summer/early fall.

- Aerate in early fall and seed/starter fertilizer as needed. (never try to seed in the spring)

- Make the most synthetic fertilizer applications in the fall.

For my flowering perennials, I apply Epson salt and Jobes Organic Rose and Flower Fertilizer.

For insect control, from all my experience, Bayer Advanced 3-in-1 Insect Disease and Mite Control Concentrate, 32-Ounces is the one to get.

Read more great articles and videos:
2018 Ultimate Lawn Care Program

2016-2017 Ultimate Lawn Care Program
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2019, 08:53 AM

Love me some Milorganite...

greens up the lawn like no other.

Hard to believe, but just about 3 months away.

Lawn is actually still rather green for beginning of January.

Old 01-02-2019, 10:20 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
I've gotta stock up on Milorganite after lasts years drought. It's my fertilizer of choice, but seems that some July/Aug it was hard to find.

I may have to wait until March or so to get some as right now it's ice-melt, shovels and snowblowers.

Old 01-02-2019, 07:55 PM

7,319 posts, read 4,115,298 times
I have many weeds - violets, clover, crabgrass, and whatever in my lawn.

I have tons of bees visiting my weeds - especially the clover. I have groundhogs and rabbits nibbling on my lawn, weeds and all. I have a variety of birds eating fat, juicy worms that live in my lawn.

Frankly, I think all grass lawns are sooo boring and without purpose.

Old 01-02-2019, 08:27 PM

That is also my plan, get Milorganite sooner than later this season.

Snow blower is collecting dust at this point. Beginning of January and not even an inch of snow.

Need to order a new bottle of Gordon’s Speedzone, had amazing results with this product last season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I've gotta stock up on Milorganite after lasts years drought. It's my fertilizer of choice, but seems that some July/Aug it was hard to find.

I may have to wait until March or so to get some as right now it's ice-melt, shovels and snowblowers.

Old 01-03-2019, 09:23 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtBikeRider View Post
Of these are political and economic forces rather than free choice, culture, and consumer demand.
Please don't politicize lawn care. There's a forum for that already.

Old 01-03-2019, 10:20 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,551,890 times
Quote:
Its totally boring.

Lawn People
In the book Lawn People: How Grasses, Weeds, and Chemicals Make Us Who We Are by Paul Robbins, the lawn and a “myriad of other objects of daily life, constitute who we are” (p 15). Our modern concern with appearance and social status is reflected on the appearance of our lawns. Robbins argues that there are several influences that turn someone into a “lawn person”. Of these are political and economic forces rather than free choice, culture, and consumer demand.

Read more this is very interesting https://environmentalgeography.wordp...awn-people-38/

Not the appropriate place for this. Please consider removing it. If you want to debate the topic of lawn care chemicals, please do so with your own dedicated thread. Hijacking another poster's thread is not acceptable here.

Old 01-03-2019, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
Love me some Milorganite...

greens up the lawn like no other.

Hard to believe, but just about 3 months away.

Lawn is actually still rather green for beginning of January.

Mine is floating away! Soooo much rain lately. I've had to "dedicate" a pair of shoes just to walk in the lawn as they get soaked and muddy now.

I neglected a bit last year, and also complied to my neighbor's complaints about the stink of the alfa and soybean meal. I have clover issues now in the back yard and thinning a bit. I don't really like my neighbors anymore, so I'll be coating my lawn again with the soy and alfalfa again soon enough. I have plenty of the sprays left over from last year to go again this year, thankfully. So weeds and crab grass shouldn't be a problem again. Will certainly do another round of the Bayer tree/shrub treatment again this year (stuff worked great). I did overseed and feed in the fall, will see how that comes up in a few months. But, 100% going to throw down more fescue seed and a ton of the alfalfa and soybean meal again this spring. Going to get my golf ball trick back! Probably cost me around $500 or so for the lawn itself.

Still stuck on big items at the moment though. This year's outdoor ticket item will be the addition of 14 Thula Green Giant trees while removing 3 crape myrtles, 3 baby blue spuces, and 1 weeping cherry that the deer are using as dental floss. Going for complete and total privacy for our side and back yard now (we're a corner lot). I have a wholesaler who can get me the Thula's at 7-8 feet tall for about $75 a tree, and a landscaper who'll charge me about $40 a tree to install, along with reworking some of the lines on the irrigation system. All-in, probably around $2k to get it done.

At this rate of home repair, I'm might have to skip Milwaukee and go direct myself for budget purposes....

Old 01-03-2019, 12:07 PM

190 posts, read 128,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
Not the appropriate place for this. Please consider removing it. If you want to debate the topic of lawn care chemicals, please do so with your own dedicated thread. Hijacking another poster's thread is not acceptable here.

Sorry but its really not acceptable how that stuff washes down the storm drains and contaminates the drinking water pollutes the lakes and rivers red tide algee blooms ect. All I am all about liberty and to each his own that's great but that doesn't include poisoning everyone else in the process.

I was done anyway. But since I am already typing this thread is funny, make your lawn "the envy of the neighborhood" lol the last thing I envy is a toxic waste dump for a yard. The number one symptom of narcissistic personality disorder is constant need for admirations "my lawn!" look how great I am.

This nonsense with the yard poison should be something of the decades past when we did not know better.

Maybe I will start a thread. This thread looks like it was started by Bayer the new owners of Monsanto !

Old 01-03-2019, 01:20 PM

Quote:
The number one symptom of narcissistic personality disorder is constant need for admirations.....

Speaking of which....

Happy trails amigo. Watch out for the lime disease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden