U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 09:31 AM

24,552 posts, read 31,745,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinco Ranch View Post
If your planting a tree in your yard it will have to get cut down eventually. When you have roots from a 50 year old tree going underneath your house causing a multitude of problems you know it.
OMG.

How many dumb posts can you make in one day?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2019, 05:29 PM

299 posts, read 198,331 times
I have a Eucalyptus deglupta and Adansonia madagascariensis in my back yard.

Old 01-05-2019, 06:20 PM

330 posts, read 92,293 times
Quote:
If your planting a tree in your yard it will have to get cut down eventually. When you have roots from a 50 year old tree going underneath your house causing a multitude of problems you know it.
Of course, this depends upon the size of both the lot and if the trees were planted with good foresight, i.e. trees whose full size in maturity was taken into consideration before they were put into the ground.

I had to take down several trees when I moved into my current home because the former homeowner had planted an oak, a maple, and a birch tree less than six feet from the foundation of the house. It broke my heart to do so, but they were going to become a problem sooner rather than later given their close proximity to the house. If the last homeowner had planted them in the lower tier of the back yard, they'd still standing today.

My parents have a large yard with more than a few trees that were planted at the same time the house was built in 1906. All is well, although a few trees had to be taken down over the years due to the poor health of the tree(s) rather than their location in relation to the house.

Old 01-05-2019, 06:24 PM

330 posts, read 92,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
I am very lucky to have an old American Chestnut tree. It is beautiful! Deer love the chestnuts.
I'm so jealous that you have a chestnut tree! The nuts are absolutely delicious both roasted and candied--don't let the deer eat them all.

If you also have a butternut, black walnut, and/or a hickory tree, I'm quadruply envious.

Old 01-05-2019, 06:26 PM

580 posts, read 180,150 times
California redwood

Old 01-05-2019, 07:19 PM

13,988 posts, read 30,105,344 times
Quote:
There are 100 year old houses in my area with equally old Live Oaks and pines growing right next to them.

Old 01-05-2019, 07:28 PM

2,157 posts, read 3,434,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Assuming I had the space, and that the space was protected, this is what I would plant:

Metasequoia glyptostroboides 'Raven' SHAW'S LEGACY - Plant Finder

Dawn Redwood Raven
We have a Dawn Redwood in our yard here in Michigan. We had three trees trimmed two summers ago and the Arborist was shocked to discover we had a healthy White Ash in our front yard (I proactively treat for Emerald Ash Borer) and a Dawn Redwood in our back yard.

Old 01-05-2019, 07:33 PM

2,157 posts, read 3,434,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtBikeRider View Post
Maybe place a sign or plaque by it saying what it is and its potential. People are cheesy though, I have seen people cut down the most beautiful trees for the most trivial reasons.
Yup. Our neighborhood is 40 years old with many mature trees, yet new property owners continue to cut down healthy mature trees just so they don't have to rake leaves in the Fall. Then complain their homes are hot and A/C bills high in the summer. And complain about all the leaves that blow onto their yard from neighboring trees.

Old 01-05-2019, 07:54 PM

1,451 posts, read 801,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
Yup. Our neighborhood is 40 years old with many mature trees, yet new property owners continue to cut down healthy mature trees just so they don't have to rake leaves in the Fall. Then complain their homes are hot and A/C bills high in the summer. And complain about all the leaves that blow onto their yard from neighboring trees.
Healthy more mature trees also enhance property values. Kids love to climb them if that still happens, they provide shade as you said, a place to hang a tire swing or build a tree fort, and they clean th3 air and absorb sound. Silly neighbors.

Old 01-05-2019, 08:14 PM

13,988 posts, read 30,105,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
We have a Dawn Redwood in our yard here in Michigan. We had three trees trimmed two summers ago and the Arborist was shocked to discover we had a healthy White Ash in our front yard (I proactively treat for Emerald Ash Borer) and a Dawn Redwood in our back yard.
Hopefully your Ash will stay healthy until the borers have moved on through. Thereís needs to be some survivors to create seedlings in the future. Iím hoping EAB will be like a wildfire and will burn itself out eventually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or