U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Yesterday, 07:45 PM

2,563 posts, read 1,793,908 times

Advertisements

it sounds counter intuitive, but some stormwater management folks told me about how they use growth inhibitors to control excess growth and avoid mowing during the growing season.

They claim the grass looks much greener because the nutrients in the soil are not wasted on upward growth.

Anybody here have any experience? I'm thinking of trying some this spring
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 08:52 AM

7,342 posts, read 9,836,877 times
I can only say that I have a NIshogi Willow, near my house front. Note I said, near. It grows toward my home and I was not happy that I had to cut it so often, so we had that growth inhibitor applied. It has been great, we have not had to cut it back at all this past spring-summer. I will see what the spring brings but all the research I did seems to support no ill effects.

Old Today, 01:24 PM

185 posts, read 25,841 times
Interesting,

Cytotoxic effects of maleic hydrazide. - NCBI https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/368621 by Z Swietlińska - ‎Cited by 71 - ‎Related articles Since 1950, maleic hydrazide (MH) has been introduced into agriculture as a major commercial herbicide and a depressant of plant growth in numerous …

"Plants can break down MH into several products, one of which, hydrazine, is a well-known mutagen and carcinogen."

Sounds like fun.

Old Today, 05:15 PM

2,176 posts, read 1,534,857 times
Yeah, I've used growth inhibitors on my bermuda grass lawn for two years now. So when actively growing (summer), I only have to cut it every few weeks.

I've never tried it on anything but a lawn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or