U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 08:23 AM

35,698 posts, read 43,883,095 times

Advertisements

I just noticed our local botanical garden is offering a Master Gardener class in a few weeks. I知 unable to do it this year, since I知 having foot surgery next week that will put me out of commission, but it sounds like something I might enjoy doing next year.

Has anyone done this, and if so, what exactly does it entail?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2019, 08:48 AM

3,621 posts, read 1,777,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I just noticed our local botanical garden is offering a Master Gardener class in a few weeks. I知 unable to do it this year, since I知 having foot surgery next week that will put me out of commission, but it sounds like something I might enjoy doing next year.

Has anyone done this, and if so, what exactly does it entail?
It involves taking the course, following which you have to contribute 50 volunteer hours the first year and 20 volunteer hours thereafter. You also need to have 8 hours of educational time each year, which consists of attending lectures. demonstrations, etc. There are monthly meetings of whatever group you join; ours are highly enjoyable as we always have snacks, door prizes, etc. Our chapter has a Spring Symposium with fantastic Speakers, and we also can attend the annual Master Gardener College in Blacksburg (this year in Virginia Beach). There is also the International Master Gardener College for gardeners all over the world.

Old 01-06-2019, 09:09 AM

11,519 posts, read 14,985,128 times
My wife just finished the first 壮emester or set of courses last month. She has some volunteer work to do. Gentlearts described it well. I can add my wife found it enjoyable and worthwhile.

And she got a Honda tiller for Christmas.

Old 01-06-2019, 09:22 AM

10,114 posts, read 7,783,384 times
I received my Master Gardener certificate last year.

Old 01-06-2019, 10:04 AM

2,228 posts, read 2,835,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I received my Master Gardener certificate last year.
Please detail the requirements to obtain Master Gardener status. I have always shied away because of the volunteer hours requirement...

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 01-06-2019, 11:25 AM

3,621 posts, read 1,777,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
Please detail the requirements to obtain Master Gardener status. I have always shied away because of the volunteer hours requirement...

Regards
Gemstone1
Well, one of the essential points of becoming a Master Gardener is that you give back to the community by sharing the training you've received through volunteering. I've done community garden plantings; local plant clinics where I answered questions from residents; and manned information booths for Earth Day and special events at the hospital, Agricultural and State Fair, and other venues where I handed out information and also answered questions. I also have done two special projects using PlantsMap: one of them involved tagging and identifying trees at a local reclaimed site (former trash dump) in the county and then creating the park site on PlantsMap; the other one involved creating a PlantsMap organization site for a garden at the local community center. All of these activities earned creditable volunteer hours and were very enjoyable. A lot of the PlantsMap work I've actually done at home on my laptop, which made it very convenient.

Old 01-06-2019, 02:37 PM

35,698 posts, read 43,883,095 times
All those things sound like fun, once I get my joints fixed, so I can do the physical part.

Old 01-06-2019, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post

Regards
Gemstone1
It varies by state. In Virginia, check Home: Virginia Master Gardener Association

Old 01-06-2019, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
All those things sound like fun, once I get my joints fixed, so I can do the physical part.
After you do the classroom part, some states have phones lines where you can do your volunteer work.

Old 01-06-2019, 05:00 PM

114 posts, read 46,535 times
You will learn about soil, fertilizers, insects, rodents, shrubs, trees, plants of all varieties. After you complete the class, you then schedule time to answer questions from your local community about problems they have with their plants. You'll have an entire library to source your information, you won't be expected to remember everything from class....and you should be working with other, more experienced volunteers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or