U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 11:25 AM

6,376 posts, read 6,032,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
No; I have not seen the traps. What was interesting about that article was this comment: "Today the pest has been detected in 15 states: Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia and Wisconsin." But if you Google when was the emerald ash borer first found in the US they say in 2002 and they show this map with 25 states: https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...9QEwAHoECAYQBg.

For only 16 years in our Country this little pest has spread like wildfire; regardless if it is 15 or 25 states.

Because of the very fast spread; that is why systemics might be like holding your finger in the hole in the dyke. If you start down that path you would have to do it all the time.

It's in 35 states now (as of November 2018) and is now in Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec, Nova Scotia and New Brunswick too, and spreading faster than ever. These emerald ash borers are spreading ten times faster than bark beetles.

I agree with you that at this point systemics is like holding your finger in the hole in the dyke. If it was my property I'd take down and burn the ash trees immediately. And for good measure I may use systemics on the other non-ash trees on the property (cuz I sort of have a tendency to get paranoid and go into preventive overkill about stuff like that).

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/our...rald-ash-borer
Quote:
...... Today, EAB infestations have been detected in 35 states and the District of Columbia; Alabama, Arkansas, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, and Wisconsin. .....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2019, 04:52 PM

13,692 posts, read 10,943,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Check with your county extension agent. Chemical treatment is good for city home owners with a couple trees and a space between neighbors. Treatment costs ~$25/tree and has to be repeated each year.= not a good choice for a guy with a wood-lot out in the sticks.

If the damage done to your tree in the picture was from the ash borer (and not antlers or a BigFoot with an itchy back)) it may be too late for you to harvest-- once they're in your lot, you can't move the stuff- in fact, they might condemn & quarantine the whole county.

Fire place or furnace?
To take those pictures I zoomed in on the bark ten feet off the ground. If that was from a buck rub I need some really BIG game hunters and quick!

I want to thank everybody for their input; you all gave me great information. As it is, I might save a handful; but I will probably take down the rest. I have really been trying to clean up my property and remove trees that were too large, infected, dangerous or damaged. I hope to replant with pest resistant varieties (if there is such a thing anymore with all of these new pest).

I have found a man with a small sawmill and he is taking my White Pine trees; so I will see if he wants my Ash trees. I should be getting my backhoe back in the next week or two.

Old 01-07-2019, 05:18 PM

13,935 posts, read 30,015,823 times
Quote:
To take those pictures I zoomed in on the bark ten feet off the ground. If that was from a buck rub I need some really BIG game hunters and quick!

I want to thank everybody for their input; you all gave me great information. As it is, I might save a handful; but I will probably take down the rest. I have really been trying to clean up my property and remove trees that were too large, infected, dangerous or damaged. I hope to replant with pest resistant varieties (if there is such a thing anymore with all of these new pest).

I have found a man with a small sawmill and he is taking my White Pine trees; so I will see if he wants my Ash trees. I should be getting my backhoe back in the next week or two.
Ha, seems like I知 constantly learning about some new pest from Asia, or a new disease.

I壇 plant new white pine seedlings, and mix in some occasional hardwoods. That way if something comes through and damages the hardwoods at least you値l still have the pines, or vice versa.

Old 01-07-2019, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Ha, seems like I知 constantly learning about some new pest from Asia, or a new disease.

I壇 plant new white pine seedlings, and mix in some occasional hardwoods. That way if something comes through and damages the hardwoods at least you値l still have the pines, or vice versa.
Even though I just cut down some large White Pines that were too close to the house; I still have more and they seem to do a pretty good job at starting their own new trees. I just wish that they were not so brittle and can break off with the wrong storms. They do seem to grow pretty good around me. Of course I have no idea how they will hold up to the new lanternflies?

Old 01-07-2019, 08:35 PM

I have looked into these Coretec tablets before for EAB. Seems like the easiest thing to do, although expensive.

https://www.amazon.com/Coretect-Tree.../dp/B004W4U21W

I only have six Ash trees on my property (3 green/2 white/1 pop ash), but all are fairly young. I知 in south Alabama, only a mile from FL, so I may have a few more years.

Old 01-07-2019, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Even though I just cut down some large White Pines that were too close to the house; I still have more and they seem to do a pretty good job at starting their own new trees. I just wish that they were not so brittle and can break off with the wrong storms. They do seem to grow pretty good around me. Of course I have no idea how they will hold up to the new lanternflies?
I was in northern Georgia a few weeks ago and I dug up a couple of white pine seedlings to bring back with me. I have no idea if they値l survive our long hot summers, but it痴 worth a shot.

Old 01-08-2019, 06:11 AM

Quote:
I was in northern Georgia a few weeks ago and I dug up a couple of white pine seedlings to bring back with me. I have no idea if they値l survive our long hot summers, but it痴 worth a shot.
Just don't plant them close to your house or driveway. If they do survive they can grow really tall. Their needles can clog rain gutters and their sap is hard to get off our vehicles. Give them plenty of room to grow. Pruning when they are smaller also helps: https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/treecare...e/tending.html.

Old 01-08-2019, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Just don't plant them close to your house or driveway. If they do survive they can grow really tall. Their needles can clog rain gutters and their sap is hard to get off our vehicles. Give them plenty of room to grow. Pruning when they are smaller also helps: https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/treecare...e/tending.html.
Yeah, we mostly have Slash pine and Longleaf pine down here, and they can certainly do some damage if they fall in the wrong direction, I have seen houses sliced completely in half by them. I still love them though.

Old 01-08-2019, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Yeah, we mostly have Slash pine and Longleaf pine down here, and they can certainly do some damage if they fall in the wrong direction, I have seen houses sliced completely in half by them. I still love them though.
I looked at this Wikipedia link and the map of the White Pine tree range only shows in Northern Georgia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinus_strobus. But in that article it is talking about the largest known White Pines and it says: "Three locations in southeastern United States and one site in northeastern United States have trees that are 55 m (180 ft) tall." Maybe the map is wrong?

Old 01-08-2019, 04:17 PM

32,737 posts, read 40,132,432 times
There are several different varieties of White Pine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or