U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 05:11 AM

2,122 posts, read 3,415,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
When they were first mentioned here in Maryland, which was at least ten years ago, DNR here postulated transport in wood products from China (I think. Foreign importation in any event).
Let me guess. The insects were first noticed near White Marsh, MD. Correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 05:21 AM

13,935 posts, read 30,015,823 times
That Bayer product is available in a generic as well, but I don’t know about large sizes.

Old Yesterday, 06:22 AM

32,734 posts, read 40,132,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
Let me guess. The insects were first noticed near White Marsh, MD. Correct?
I don't remember, or maybe I never knew. My first memory of it was concerning a state park near me.

Old Yesterday, 01:07 PM

25,273 posts, read 60,617,679 times
Quote:
You can save an Ash Tree but it isn't inexpensive if a large tree.

We have one in our front yard, we planted it the year before the Emerald Ash Borer invaded Detroit via wooden shipping crates delivered to an area auto plant from China. I have been treating our tree with "Bayer Advanced Tree & Shrub" since the Detroit infestation was first discovered. It is priced at over $70 per gallon at the Big Box home centers, you apply it to the soil surrounding the tree as a diluted liquid, one ounce of poison for each inch of trunk circumference measured at chest height.

The instructions say to treat once per year. I treat our lone tree twice per year. As the tree has grown to have a 12-inch diameter trunk a gallon now provides for only three treatments.

We had three trees trimmed by a professional arborist two years ago. After the shock of seeing a White Ash tree still standing in Michigan wore off, they inspected the tree and gave it a clean bill of health.

Yes, there are a few D-shaped scars on the trunk form the insects attempting to infect our tree the the poison did its job.
You probably have the last living Ash in metro Detroit.

In February 2005 we bought a beautiful forested acre of land in Grosse Ile. There were at least 60 large trees on the property. Come spring, no leave on most of the trees. We had to cut down 40 dead ash trees. turns out we bought a nice field with a few trees on it. Worked out OK since we had to remove many trees to bring in the house, but it was disappointing to discover our thick forest was not much of a forest anymore. At least we have enough firewood for another 15 years.

Funny thing is I have tried to plant all kinds of other types of trees and they all die. Our soil seems to support only Ash Elm Black Walnut (a finicky tree that dies if you look at it wrong) and crab-apple. No point in planting more Ash trees. Elm is a pretty awful tree. Black walnut is messy and likes to die. I guess we could create a forest of crab-apple trees.

Old Yesterday, 03:47 PM

13,692 posts, read 10,943,772 times
One of the major problems I have with all these new pest are trees down on our utility lines. Of course the power goes out when they come down on our electric lines. But locally I have many trees leaning on the other utility lines and most are threatening the road. Of course, without the lines, the trees would come down in the road.

Let's face it: Our telephone companies would prefer to get rid of the hard lines. Many cable companies are fighting to hang on to their market share while fighting off the satellite companies. In the meantime both would prefer to place the burden of the cost of tree removal on the taxpayers (or township/borough and state road crews). They are damaging their own lines by not addressing their problems promptly - but they are fighting a battle they hope to win.

The real problem is that we have every indication this will get much worse before it gets better - especially will all the new pest. It is in our best interest that we get some kind of agreement from all parties to address these issues as soon as they become issues. No dead tree should be allowed to hang over a road on a utility line for weeks or months.

Old Yesterday, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
That Bayer product is available in a generic as well, but I donít know about large sizes.
Do you have any information regarding the Generic Brand?

Old Today, 07:14 AM

13,935 posts, read 30,015,823 times
Quote:
Do you have any information regarding the Generic Brand?
https://www.domyown.com/prime-source...i-p-12208.html

Iím sure there are several companies that make it. I believe of have some other brand out in my shed I bought several years ago.

Old Today, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
https://www.domyown.com/prime-source...i-p-12208.html

I’m sure there are several companies that make it. I believe of have some other brand out in my shed I bought several years ago.

WOW!

At first I thought the price was about the same per gallon. Then I read the labels of the product you linked and the Bayer labeled product. It appears the product you linked is ~30 times more concentrated, 21% versus 0.74%.

I need to double and triple check these concentration percentages. This may be too strong for my needs. Currently I am applying roughly 40oz of the Bayer concentrate twice each year. The super concentrate would drop that to 1.25oz. Conversion tables state that 1.5oz equals 3 Tablespoon? The 24oz bottle would last for a number of years and cost much less than the 1 gallon of Bayer brand solution.

I did see that Bayer offers a "Bio-Enhanced" formula of their product which only requires 1/2 ounce per inch of tree circumference. Naturally it is more expensive per gallon but I use enough of it so that my overall cost for three years of treatment may be lower.

Thanks.

Last edited by MI-Roger; Today at 10:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or