Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 09:09 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,067,462 times

Advertisements

My 7 year old daughter and I were having our breakfast on the front porch when all of a sudden three very large deer came galloping thru our yard being pursued by a very large fox. We were in shock as they all came thru the garden I was just tending.

Would a fox try to eat a deer and one so large? From what I've read about fox they would not try anything larger than a very baby deer but even then I thought they ate mice and small rodents.

a few minutes after this parade, a tiny fawn poked his nose out of the woods and crossed the street into the deeper woods. Is it possible the deer were trying to take the fox away from the fawn? That happens in some animals but I'm not sure about deer. Any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 09:47 AM

32,927 posts, read 36,335,488 times
That sounds like a mismatch to me. Maybe the fox was having some success chasing the deer away from the fawn, was going to circle around and go back for the small, young animal. I'm not the expert, but that still sounds pretty ambitious for a fox. Coyote are another matter all together.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:00 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,885,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
That sounds like a mismatch to me. Maybe the fox was having some success chasing the deer away from the fawn, was going to circle around and go back for the small, young animal. I'm not the expert, but that still sounds pretty ambitious for a fox. Coyote are another matter all together.
Completely agree.

Also, I have seen some coyotes here in NC that are darker and closely resemble a gray fox.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:18 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,896,837 times
I'm sure it was after the fawn. A few years ago we had a fox on our front walk who was pursuing a flock of wild turkeys passing through our yard. And I've seen them go after chickens, too. We have friends with chickens, and foxes get a lot of them. Once a fox was after their chickens while we were there. We kept chasing the fox away, and it would come slinking right back. They can be very relentless in their pursuit, and not fearful of humans at all. But I think most of them probably have better luck with mice/rats/chipmunks/squirrels. A fawn would be a challenging kill; mother deer are extremely aggressive when protecting their young. They will even kill dogs, we had one after our dog one day, and another friend lost their dog to a deer.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:28 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,606,760 times
I would have to agree that the fox you saw was more likely an off-color coyote. A fox is comfortable sticking to rodents and very small game.

Old 08-06-2009, 12:17 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,701,017 times
If it was a fox and not a coyote, I would say the fox was rabid - I can't see why a fox would chase a deer - its way too big to take down on its own. Fox usually go after small game like birds and hens, and steal food like eggs and dog/cat food left out, and aren't above scavenging in dumpsters. To actively chase a deer is odd, plus there have been rabid fox reports in north Raleigh, so a rabid fox in Chapel Hill is not out of the question.

Old 08-06-2009, 02:33 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,047,178 times
Foxes aer nocturnal and, as a general rule are afraid of human beings. They also tend to pounce on their victims - sneak and pounce.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:42 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,475,810 times
Agree, sounds like a coyote. Years ago I was in our front yard and heard this noise like a loud baaaa of a lamb. I turned around to see a coyote taking down a fawn and its mother frantic nearby. I was so mad at that coyote. We chased the coyotee off and the fawn rejoined his mom.

Old 08-08-2009, 05:40 PM

106 posts, read 254,075 times
Many Coyotes are red, they can range from grey to red. Sounds like a yote. Foxes are mostly nocturnal as are yotes but yotes will hunt daytime.

Old 08-08-2009, 05:56 PM

45,344 posts, read 60,534,984 times

coyote

red fox

gray fox

Generally, coyotes are the size of a medium size dog (German shepard or a bit smaller) while foxes are the size of a large cat. I wish these pictures had something to give a size comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden