U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 11:15 PM

23,852 posts, read 22,802,478 times

Advertisements

Not necessarily in this order, but peat, coir, compost, perlite, and vermiculite. I can feel when it's a good mix. I'd keep playing with it until it felt right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2019, 06:40 AM

2,427 posts, read 844,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Boo Kitty View Post
I don't care about the smell from the chickens, ...

It's been said that the whole world is divided into two camps: those that don't like the smell of horse manure, and those that do.

I miss the smell of horse manure. I vaguely remember it from my childhood. I haven't had a sense of smell since age 7 when I displayed a distinct lack of wisdom by knocking down a line drive with my face. I'm not naturally this ugly. I had to work at it.

BTW- nice spread in the picture. Good luck with it.

Old 02-12-2019, 06:56 PM

50 posts, read 18,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
It's been said that the whole world is divided into two camps: those that don't like the smell of horse manure, and those that do.

I miss the smell of horse manure. I vaguely remember it from my childhood. I haven't had a sense of smell since age 7 when I displayed a distinct lack of wisdom by knocking down a line drive with my face. I'm not naturally this ugly. I had to work at it.

BTW- nice spread in the picture. Good luck with it.
Most farm animals I've never had an issue with smell, except hogs. They are NASTY!!!!

Heck, even skunks aren't as bad as hog crap, lol.

Thanks, we are slowly making it ours.

Old 02-25-2019, 08:20 PM

983 posts, read 405,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I have access to a lot of aged horse manure.

I use:
1/2 horse manure,
1/4 sand,
1/4 peat,
You are so lucky.......I wish I could find where to buy horse manure. I usually buy cow manure, but they tell me that the horses have better ones......could it be because they are male?

Old 02-25-2019, 08:49 PM

30,287 posts, read 48,476,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasie123 View Post
You are so lucky.......I wish I could find where to buy horse manure. I usually buy cow manure, but they tell me that the horses have better ones......could it be because they are male?
These are mares and geldings, I dont think they have any stallions.

Old Today, 06:20 AM

2,427 posts, read 844,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasie123 View Post

Look up "Riding Stables" in your area-- they usually have to pay to have it hauled away and offer it to gardeners for free, or search "Free horse manure near me."

Cows are ruminants- four stomachs, chew their cud- so the end product is almost liquid when it comes out- not much fiber (dried, they make great frisbees or bases for a softball game- just don't slide head first). Horse manure is much more fibrous- much better for physical quality of soil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or