U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 12:58 PM

311 posts, read 264,072 times

Advertisements

Yellow Irises.

Of all the irises they are best suited for river banks and they serve as a filtration. Willow are excellent for banks as well.

Might try some reeds, cat of nine tails in the sunniest wettest location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 01:42 PM

1,497 posts, read 815,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsRosencranz View Post
Yellow Irises.

Of all the irises they are best suited for river banks and they serve as a filtration. Willow are excellent for banks as well.

Might try some reeds, cat of nine tails in the sunniest wettest location.
Yellow flag irises are a noxious weed in Washington state. I am unsure, however, about where OP lives. They will multiply quickly and spread. I do not recommend. I would contact your local Cnservation District or someone/agency who does restoration.

Old Yesterday, 03:00 PM

1,636 posts, read 801,439 times
We have a natural stream running across our property as well. I leave it alone--it belongs to nature, plants and animals, and I leave such things untouched. Nature manages it just fine.

Since your neighbor behind has taken down some trees on his side of the fence and it feels less wooded and more exposed, you might plant a few appropriate trees on your side of the fence, if they wouldn't interfere with the stream.

If yours is in a shady place, you could plant ferns nearby, not right at the stream itself, but in the area to make a nice background for it. Ferns and rocks always look nice by streams.

Old Yesterday, 09:22 PM

7,908 posts, read 2,511,883 times
An aunt and uncle had a stream from a natural spring running through a gully about 80 feet lower than their house. They installed a self-powered hydraulic pump that lifted the water up to a large wooden tank in a water tower. The water was clean and pure and served all their needs throughout their lives. But over the past 30 years, houses and industrial buildings have been put in all over the watershed area and the spring is now completely dry.

The OP is lucky that the small drainage stream is still running, but such things can't be taken for granted, when surrounding areas are developed. Alder trees like a lot of water and would be a good type to plant near the stream. Ash trees take to water well, also. I would definitely plant some shrubs to beautify the area beyond the stream. If ten years from now, nothing has been planted there yet, the OP may regret that all that time was wasted.

Old Today, 02:46 AM

Location: Drink a gallon of water a day. You wont have time for other peoples drama.
2,209 posts, read 5,369,910 times
I would make a "woods" on the whole other side. Plant park grade pines along the property line and then flowering trees in front. Woodland plants in front. Some flowering bulbs and daffodils for spring color. A small interesting arbor sitting area. A few bird baths . Maybe some bird houses on posts. And some log deer. I know theyre tacky but I like them.

https://www.google.com/search?q=rust...w=1366&bih=574

https://www.google.com/search?biw=13...67.mANnNkifRjo

Old Today, 05:28 AM

2,196 posts, read 784,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia_Rose View Post
. And some log deer. I know theyre tacky but I like them.

And don't forget the pink flamingo lawn ornaments

Actually a very good post; great ideas.

Someone mentioned a water pump above: you could actually make yourself a waterfall with a pump (large aquarium pump or small pool pump to suck water up to a small pool on the high ground and then the over flow could be directed down a stepped rock channel. Power it with a heavy duty outdoor extension cord buried easily by just splitting the turf with a spade and stuffing the cord down into the split. (I ran 70 ft that way to power a chicken coop and was still working well after 12 yrs when I moved away.) You could switch it on & off at will (although that may involve re-priming it each time.)

You could also go power free with a ram-jet pump https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...DC&FORM=VDMCNR

Old Today, 06:52 AM

56 posts, read 19,659 times
Thanks for some great ideas posted here. This is the type of info I was looking for. I am certainly not interested in altering the stream at all, nor the banks because I know that flowing water ultimately would have it's way with whatever alterations I could think of making unless I put in some huge amount of work. I have mainly left it be for the time we have lived there but some new neighbors moved in about 2 years ago and in the last year he has cleared all the trees from his yard among them 4 large oak trees which were on his property but close to the property line as well as several large shrubs which really blocked any view into their yard.

Since it's a smaller area on the far side of the stream there isn't much I could do there so some additional plantings and a sitting area sounds nice. I'll have to see what i would have room to plant there as it has several trees growing on my property that I have no interest in taking down. I have growing now, 2 large oak's (1 red, 1 white) each of these are at least 60' tall, several smaller red and white oaks maybe 20' tall at most. 1 smaller hickory (pignut), 1 taller and some saplings of what I think is black tupelo, 2 larger (close to size of large oak) silver maples, at least 10 mid sized red/sugar maples, 2 white ash trees and a white birch. This is just going from memory, previous owner had planted some arborvitaes which are on my side of the rear fence. These are just what I can remember off top of my head on both sides of the stream to the rear of the property. A nice sheltered area with some privacy would be nice as there isn't too much I could do with the far side.

Old Today, 10:55 AM

17,182 posts, read 52,398,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
An aunt and uncle had a stream from a natural spring running through a gully about 80 feet lower than their house. They installed a self-powered hydraulic pump that lifted the water up to a large wooden tank in a water tower. The water was clean and pure and served all their needs throughout their lives. But over the past 30 years, houses and industrial buildings have been put in all over the watershed area and the spring is now completely dry.

The OP is lucky that the small drainage stream is still running, but such things can't be taken for granted, when surrounding areas are developed. Alder trees like a lot of water and would be a good type to plant near the stream. Ash trees take to water well, also. I would definitely plant some shrubs to beautify the area beyond the stream. If ten years from now, nothing has been planted there yet, the OP may regret that all that time was wasted.
I too have seen this happen. Shady areas near stream are cool because there is a massive amount of evaporative cooling that goes on constantly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden